Music | Music Video | News | Will Young

BigGayDeal.com

Will Young a Tender Superhero in 'Let it Go'

Willyoung

Seeing Brit singer Will Young in this cheesy silver superhero outfit for his new video "Let it Go" made me expect the track and clip to be loud, flashy, and over the top, and then he went and offered up something so beautifully opposite.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. awesome!

Posted by: pog | Feb 10, 2009 8:37:52 PM

2. Wow, I'd forgotten how powerful a music video could be...

Posted by: james | Feb 10, 2009 8:55:32 PM

3. surprising and good

Posted by: patrick m | Feb 10, 2009 8:59:03 PM

4. I think Will Young is awesome. Always impressed with his song choices.

Posted by: Chuy Christ | Feb 10, 2009 9:18:22 PM

5. Will Young is a PHENOMENAL vocalist!

Posted by: Brandon | Feb 10, 2009 9:48:09 PM

6. Definitely an underrated song on the album and a surprisingly great video. I thought the video for "Grace" was a little disappointing.

Posted by: Jason | Feb 10, 2009 9:51:24 PM

7. I love this motherfucker.

Posted by: Distingué Traces | Feb 10, 2009 9:56:09 PM

8. I'm glad WY gets exposure on Towleroad, but he really deserves a bigger career than he has. Why he has no exposure in the US when there is so much dreck out there escapes me.

For fans, check out 'Leave Right Now' on Youtube. Amazing video, all done in one take.

Posted by: Asher | Feb 10, 2009 9:58:41 PM

9. nice. ruptures all the preconceptions - in all the right ways. thanks for sharing.

Posted by: resurrect | Feb 10, 2009 10:15:00 PM

10. Will Young, for those of you who don't know, was the 2002 winner of the British show Pop Idol, which gave us American Idol and over forty other shows around the world. Were it not for Will's win and subsequent success, we would never have heard of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Clay Aiken, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia Barrino, Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard, Chris Daughtry, and the thousands upon thousands of countless wannabes who we feast our eyes upon every year. Even Leona Lewis owes Will Young, for had there not been Pop Idol, there wouldn't have been the spin-off X Factor, which she won. Of course, were it not for Will Young, we wouldn't have heard of Simon Cowell, William Hung, and Ryan Seacrest, among others.

Posted by: Alex Sarmiento | Feb 10, 2009 10:43:36 PM

11. The video is just really...really funny to me. He's got a good voice.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 10, 2009 11:18:46 PM

12. This was quite wonderful and touched me. He has quite a sweet voice. Thanks Andy.

Posted by: Donald | Feb 10, 2009 11:53:50 PM

13. What a lovely song, and so well done.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | Feb 11, 2009 1:06:39 AM

14. If you like this you have to check out his live version of HOME....so beautiful. When are we going to see him in America.

Posted by: matt-chicago | Feb 11, 2009 1:28:03 AM

15. Great song. And he's yummy to boot.

Posted by: shane | Feb 11, 2009 7:45:20 AM

16. Beautiful. How fortunate for gay kids today, to have these images that would have never been made when I came out 30 years ago.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 11, 2009 7:53:41 AM

17. What am I missing that you all i like about this guy's voice and the video?

Whiney voice and cheesy vid that could have been campy cool with the superhero thing but wasn't.

I couldn't even watch/ listen to 1/2 of it before turning it off.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 11, 2009 7:54:47 AM

18. He needs to employ a lyricist. The lyrics in his songs are terrible: they're usually a bit whiny/defeatist. Also, consistently, he seems unable to conceptualize love as something that ever endures. Check out the REALLY creepy lyrics to his song "Who Am I?" for example.

I think he has talent. He just needs a songwriter. And maybe a little more experience. And compassion. Maybe that.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Feb 11, 2009 8:34:56 AM

19. What a beautiful song, and nice video to match.

Posted by: tobey | Feb 11, 2009 8:50:02 AM

20. Nice, very nice! looks beautiful, sounds great. This can be fun after listening to a beautiful sad song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVCR4wLiwfo

Posted by: erick28 | Feb 11, 2009 9:30:25 AM

21. If Will Young hadn't won Pop Idol years ago then Joe Blow or Joanna Doe would have. He isn't all that special. Let's not canonize the guy.

Posted by: Not Alex | Feb 11, 2009 11:07:38 AM

22. Will didn't actually right the lyrics for Let It Go or Who Am I.

He has indeed co-written quite a lot of his songs on his 4 albums.

The latest album has 11 out of 13 of his songs on it.

Let It Go has been critically acclaimed so he can't be bad.

Posted by: brookjay | Feb 12, 2009 5:55:41 PM