About the Banner | Abraham Lincoln | New York | News | Photography | towleroad

BigGayDeal.com

About the Banner #35 - #39

Banner1

Here's some info on the photos in our last five banners, for those of you that take an interest in such things. I reealized I've let this column go since before the holidays.

You may remember this was up just after Thanksgiving. It's actually part of a shot that I took from a helicopter. I was given the very cool gift of a ride around Manhattan from my good friends Alan and Drew on my last birthday. The portion of the photo I used for the banner was just the top of it. It's a view down the East River from upper Manhattan looking south. Click to enlarge.

Banner2

Banner3

The next banner was up briefly over Thanksgiving weekend. More on it, AFTER THE JUMP...

I shot it upstate in the Catskills visiting friends over an autumn weekend. It's one of about 12 wild turkeys that crossed the road in front of the car. Photo wasn't too clear because of the car's windshield. I thought the message of escape was appropriate for the holiday.

Banner4

Banner5

The next photo I shot up in Montana over the holidays. The small house in the photo is actually a small log cabin my dad built for my nieces and nephews. Over the winter it sort of has the look of a doll's ghost town. It was snowing. The image required a bit of brightening.

Banner6

Banner7

The next banner was shot at the opening of the Obama inauguration at the Lincoln Memorial. It features the Obama contingent being photographed by both a professional, and a daughter, in their glass box. As it was a grey day, it too needed a bit of brightening.

Banner9

Banner10

The most recent banner was also shot at that ceremony, and featured the Lincoln Memorial itself. I thought it appropriate as Lincoln's bicentennial approached. Though Lincoln was rumored by some to be gay, the photo from which this banner comes is actually much gayer, and features the entire Gay Men's Chorus of Washington D.C.

Banner8

For some of our other About the Banners, click HERE.

Comments

1. #40??? Give the background to #40. You're killing me.

Posted by: K | Mar 8, 2009 5:38:57 PM

2. dlb

Posted by: TANK | Mar 8, 2009 5:58:01 PM

3. Or, hey, I could be blind....post rhinoplasty?

Posted by: TANK | Mar 8, 2009 5:58:58 PM

4. I love the banner explainers. So, what's the story behind the new one? What is the guy reading????

Posted by: J | Mar 8, 2009 7:40:02 PM

5. Help me out here, Tank...dlb? Surely you can't mean dirty little bastard :)

Posted by: K | Mar 8, 2009 8:35:47 PM

6. Andy had rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty rhinoplasty, right?

Posted by: Jason | Mar 8, 2009 9:12:22 PM

7. OH c'mon - who's the cutie in the current banner?

Love your site, btw...

Posted by: Hank | Mar 9, 2009 8:00:47 AM

8. The East River shot is really nice.

Posted by: JP | Mar 9, 2009 8:42:25 AM

9. Thanks guys but I have no desire for rhinoplasty and I'm not sure where anyone's getting that from the current banner, which shows someone reading a book, who incidentally is not me. Anyway, explanations always come once the next banner is up. Glad you're enjoying them though. And I'm amused by the speculation.

Posted by: andy | Mar 9, 2009 8:44:18 AM

10. Thanks for always giving the extra info. I've been dying to know about the cabin pic. For some reason it completely captured my attention and heart every single day that it was up!

cheers ~

Posted by: bigTseattle | Mar 9, 2009 9:48:19 AM

11. I loved the log cabin one. I wondered everyday it was up where it was taken. Always love reading about em.

Posted by: Kristoffer | Mar 9, 2009 10:41:20 AM

12. Thanks also for the cabin explanation. I wondered if it was a Montana shot. It also captivated me for the time it was up.

Every time I visit my family in Missoula I wonder if I'm walking by Andy on the street!

Posted by: Chris | Mar 9, 2009 1:10:00 PM

13. The current banner looks exactly like my 4-year-old nephew, so I wouldn't necessarily jump to any conclusions about rhinoplasty.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 9, 2009 3:28:05 PM

14. maybe it is your four year old nephew, paul r...maybe it is.

I don't know him personally, so maybe, k, but Dustin Lance Black post rhinoplasty. Though, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm wear glasses so thick that they could set ablaze a forest if the sun's light were reflected and concentrated at the right angle.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 9, 2009 3:39:11 PM

15. Would the cute guy reading something in the current banner be the very cute Christopher Rice???

Posted by: Rob | Mar 15, 2009 1:33:10 AM

16. I wouldnt say "cute." I think the banner screams out "WHORE"...but maybe thats just me. ;-)

Posted by: Turo | Mar 23, 2009 1:06:30 PM

17. I would like to retract my earlier posting. the banner does NOT scream out "whore" to me.
    That is all.

Posted by: Turo | Mar 23, 2009 1:36:33 PM

18. I realized that my earlier retraction did not go far enough. I would like to add that the said person in the banner is an "acquaintance" of mine and has never, to my knowledge, accepted any form of compensation for sexual acts of any kind.
    That is all.