Barack Obama | News | Sanjay Gupta

Dr. Sanjay Gupta Withdraws from Surgeon General Consideration

Dr. Sanjay Gupta has withdrawn from consideration as U.S. surgeon general, CNN reports:

Gupta "The neurosurgeon made that decision 'in order to continue devoting time to his medical career and of course his work at CNN,' Klein said. Sources said in January that Gupta met then-President-elect Obama in Chicago, Illinois, in November to discuss the post. Gupta has declined comment. The transition team was impressed with the combination of Gupta's past government experience, as a White House fellow in 1997 and a special adviser to then-first lady Hillary Clinton, along with his medical career as a neurosurgeon and his communication skills, the transition source said."

Comments

1. Good news indeed. His pic is in the dictionary by the word "disingenuous'.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 5, 2009 6:33:23 PM

2. And why is this gay news??

Posted by: wisebear | Mar 5, 2009 6:45:32 PM

3. When is Obama going to post on craigslist?
    We all know the best help is found there!

Posted by: Fabrizio | Mar 5, 2009 6:46:41 PM

4. In a way I'm glad. I had him his a prof at Emory and he was excellent. I think he's well-suited for teaching.

Posted by: James | Mar 5, 2009 6:59:17 PM

5. Gupta is about as accomplished as anyone I can think of, and of course, because he turned down Obama he's now going to be demonized by the likes of "Gary" and other zombies of his ilk.

Who could have seen that coming?!

Posted by: paul c | Mar 5, 2009 7:41:44 PM

6. @WISEBEAR

It's not.

Check out the header on the Towleroad homepage 'More than gay news for more gay men'.

Posted by: Gregus | Mar 5, 2009 7:49:48 PM

7. Thanks gods! What a tool...

Posted by: David B. | Mar 5, 2009 8:05:59 PM

8. Hi. I'm a zombie of the ilk--Gary. I never resort to ad hominem attacks, and I read news and blogs from a variety of sources.

However, I have drunk wine tonight; therefore, I am present in the comments section.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 5, 2009 8:18:46 PM

9. Not surprised after the way Michael Moore cleaned his clock. He's not a doctor -- he's a spokesmodel for Big Pharma.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 5, 2009 9:07:06 PM

10. Thank God. This whole idea was a joke. And I concur with David Ehrenstein's assessment enthusiastically.

Posted by: Clay | Mar 5, 2009 9:13:56 PM

11. The pay was lousy.

Posted by: van | Mar 5, 2009 11:18:02 PM

12. Good riddance to him being at that post, but I wonder why he now declined? The commercial media will frame it as another Obama misstep or failure, undoubtedly.

Posted by: Satori | Mar 6, 2009 12:43:23 AM

13. The Surgeon General actually receives a commission as a Vice Admiral upon confirmation. So, DADT actually applies. As ridiculous as it might seem to practically everyone, no gay or lesbian can serve as the nation's top doctor. Another proud moment for America I'm sure.

USA!
    USA!
    USA!

Wooooooo! We're Number One!

Posted by: John in CA | Mar 6, 2009 2:22:37 AM

14. I am a total koolaid drinker and even I have to agree with Gary.

Sorry Paul C.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 6, 2009 3:03:46 AM

15. I would have to concur w/ Mr. Ehrenstein as well.

Posted by: chasmader | Mar 6, 2009 8:38:07 AM

16. I was just shocked he was asked...then when I saw what his qualifications it made some sense. However after I saw him on Wolf Shitzer with Michael Moore I was stunned. How could Obama, who wants to overhaul the healthcare system, choose someone so obviously on the staus quo side of the healthcare debate...it never made sense to me.

Posted by: Jack Ramp | Mar 6, 2009 8:44:33 AM

17. NBC Nightly News had it right last night: a massive pay cut would have been involved.

Posted by: northerner | Mar 6, 2009 10:19:06 AM

18. yes, JACK RAMP. he also sided with the himbo, john stossel, on big pharma issues. they are both second tier hacks.

JOHN IN CA: is gupta gay?

Posted by: nic | Mar 6, 2009 11:16:23 AM

19. gay gupta... ha! i have a gay gupta, do you want to see it? do you want to pet my gay gupta?

Posted by: nic | Mar 6, 2009 11:18:38 AM

20. Wisebear asks: Why is this "gay" news? Well, we live in the real world and the Surgeon General would have an impact on things like HIV research, unbiased information for the public about HIV, its causes and prevention, unbiased information about healthy sexual activity, unbiased information about reproductive health for women and men, etc. etc. THAT's why this is "gay" news. He would have been an excellent SG, too. Not to mention that he's a nice-looking man (to me anyway).

Posted by: mike | Mar 6, 2009 12:39:17 PM

21. That this topic is not being picked up on TPM & Americablog is interesting.

Posted by: mike shackleford | Mar 6, 2009 1:17:21 PM

22. Okay, now here's the opportunity for President Obama to appoint an openly gay man to a very visible position: Dr David Malebranche of Emory University and the Centers for Disease Control. Just as important as his credentials--well, he's absolutely gorgeous & gay...probably married though, dammit.

Hell, I could never get a respectble gay man like Dr Malebranche anyway...oh, woe is me....damn, I'm starting to hear Ray Charles singing "Born to Loose" in my mind, or is it Hank Williams.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 6, 2009 1:23:15 PM