Chicago | Fraternities | Fred Phelps | News | Shirley Phelps-Roper

Frat Boys Offer Fred Phelps an Animal House Protest for Tolerance

Phelps1

When Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church arrived at the University of Chicago earlier this week, counterprotestors lined the opposite side of the street from the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity house, where the frat boys were planning a "coming out" protest all their own.

And come out they did.

I'll take red shorts and a white bathrobe over intolerance any day.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Pelps1

Comments

1. awesome

Posted by: KFLO | Mar 12, 2009 7:26:22 AM

2. That is awesome!!!

Posted by: D.R.H. | Mar 12, 2009 8:02:58 AM

3. What a great way to start the day!!!! Thank you, ADP boys!

Posted by: David T | Mar 12, 2009 8:12:24 AM

4. it's about time that some straight fratboys showed the phelps clan that gay men are more than just diana ross-listening flaming queens dancing about on lawns. wait...

Posted by: rouquinricain | Mar 12, 2009 8:23:30 AM

5. Just another reason to love the frat boys.

Posted by: MT | Mar 12, 2009 8:33:41 AM

6. Here's more coverage from the school's newspaper:

"God hates the new Facebook" indeed! I think that one is my favorite.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Mar 12, 2009 8:36:12 AM

7. Not that is a sweet read first thing this morning. Frat boys ROCK!

Posted by: Island Girly | Mar 12, 2009 9:12:04 AM

8. I think the first screen capture there is one of my favorite pictures.

Times have certainly changed since the 1980s. When I was in college, the Greek association tried to mock gays off the campus by promoting an organization called "Students for Bestiality." That led to the first time I ever saw a man I was in love with crying because of bigotry against us. My closest friend who was involved in the Greek system attempted suicide, in part because of the way his fraternity brothers would have sex with him, then trash fags.

I love these new frat boys.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Mar 12, 2009 9:14:14 AM

9. I went to U of C, so this was especially awesome to see on my feed reader. And I even went to a party at that house! With my gay best friend, no less.

Posted by: Andrea | Mar 12, 2009 9:17:44 AM

10. This is the best sign ever! You can even see the Westboro nuts in the background...

Posted by: crispy | Mar 12, 2009 9:31:10 AM

11. straight frats will show gays how to do it...once again...

Posted by: alan brickman | Mar 12, 2009 9:52:04 AM

12. Awesome!!

Posted by: Roseanne | Mar 12, 2009 10:56:39 AM

13. Bless them!

Posted by: DKNATL | Mar 12, 2009 11:01:25 AM

14. Students at Oberlin held a "Fun, Not Phelps" day when he wanted to rail against the students there a few years back.

Link here:

Posted by: Bacilio | Mar 12, 2009 1:36:18 PM

15. The frats wipin' it out to Diana as the Phelps walk by. The mocking of the clan just made me smile. Brilliant.

Posted by: kansastock | Mar 12, 2009 1:44:32 PM

16. My nephews and nieces get it, it does not matter, they are the future.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 12, 2009 2:23:32 PM

17. Suddenly I am filled with hope for our future.

Posted by: Accountable Joe | Mar 12, 2009 5:09:18 PM

18. But would a frat at U of Illinois or IU or even Northwestern do that?

Posted by: Bruno | Mar 12, 2009 5:47:48 PM

19. That is my brother (fluorescent yellow vest in the back).

A few weeks ago, he told me that Westboro was going to be staging a protest next door to their house. He wanted to know what I thought they should do as a counter protest.

At the time, I told him about the "angel wings" protests started at Matthew Shepard's funeral, and suggested that blocking out Westboro's message was much better than any kind of attempt to talk to them. (No amount of discourse can get through to people who indoctrinate their children like they do.)

He mentioned that they were thinking about blasting really loud music to drown them out... I wasn't sure how effective it would be.
    Now, after seeing this all over news sites (and after hearing how westboro only lasted about 12 minutes at the protest site before getting fed up) I have to say that he and his brothers did exactly what they (as straight frat guys) needed to do.

I can only hope that their showing of support (No Tolerance for INtolerance), and their terrible dancing (there's a video somewhere of Rockette-style leg kicks to Elton John's Tiny Dancer) leads more frats across the country to open up and support GLBT persons.
    And if it stops that crazy Phelps clan even just a tiny bit, they've accomplished more than I could have hoped for.

I'm a pretty proud older brother today.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 13, 2009 2:51:17 AM

20. I went to U of C, spent almost every Wednesday (DOLLAR BEER!) night of my first two years in the Alpha Delt basement drinking with my friends, and attended many many weekend parties there. And I was openly gay. I wouldn't really expect anything less from these guys, as they never gave me a problem and were really nice most of the time.

Ah, these videos bring back vague, fuzzy memories...

Kudos to them - the vid made me laugh really hard! I love how this drove away a WBC protest in only 12 minutes! If I die soon, and the Phelpses come protest, please be sure to blast Liza Minelli, "Bye, bye mein lieber Herr!" and start a kickline! Actually, do that anyway, even if the Phelpses don't show up...sounds like a party.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Mar 13, 2009 1:44:27 PM

21. Better video with closeups of the frat guys (including red shorts for you Andy) (towards the end)

Posted by: Mike | Mar 14, 2009 12:20:12 AM