Comments

1. Michael Bedwell says

Bravissimo! It’s encouraging to hear that there are still gay people who believe in demonstrating directly for their rights rather than imagining that they can hug homohaters into changing!

2. Sargon Bighorn says

The Governor of Vermont, the reborn face of G. Wallace with a different Civil Rights issue?

Of course there are still plenty of Americans that think the Racial Civil Rights laws are bad for America and they make no apologies. So too there will be people like the Gov. of Vermont that think the Gay Civil Rights victories are bad for America. We fight, we win, we move forward; others move backward.

3. says

It’s amazing how much the Vermont LGBT community is doing in such a short amount of time. New ads (urging people to contact the Governor to ask his support for the bill), numerous vigils (this weekend), rallies, phone banking and more. I’m very impressed. I’m from Los Angeles, but what they’re doing in Vermont makes me very proud to be a part of the greater LGBT community.

4. Dan says

This is the way it should be.Not sitting on ur ass or at some stupid candle lighting thing or standing around sweet-talking the anti-gay morons.The Prop 8 fiasco should be lesson.LETS NOT MAKE THOSE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN.

5. says

I’m so proud of my VT LGBT community–I couldn’t be there today, but the fact that so many were, on a Fri morning on short notice, speaks to our determination to keep pushing as hard as we can. The efficient leadership and dedicated volunteers of VT Freedom to Marry have really kept us on track, and the governor’s veto threat won’t derail our momentum, infuriating as his political posturing and hypocrisy is to all of us.

6. Bruno says

The Utah LGBT community is not protesting the LDS convention but offering “service.” Does one catch more flies with honey or vinegar? To be honest, I think vinegar.

7. says

The best way to find out is to look at their website:

But, to answer your question, David, what has impressed me about VT Freedom to Marry (I don’t work for them, btw) is that they’ve been on the ground (with lots of volunteer help) for the past 9 years, since CUs, at state fairs, public forums, on call-in radio shows, in the legislature, lobbying business leaders to support us, etc. Their ads are to the point and have real gay people in them (unlike some other states) and talk about why marriage matters. And, any time there is anything related to marriage going on in VT, the word is out, on facebook, via e-mail etc. Of course all this is easier in a small state like VT than in CA or in states that are less receptive to gay rights, but having extremely articulate, focused leaders and lots of willing volunteers have made a huge difference (except with Gov. A-hole).