Discrimination | Evangelical Christians | Great Britain | Hotels | News

UK Gay Couple Sues After Hotel Forbids Them to Share a Bed

Chymorvah

The owners of the Chymorvah Hotel in Marazion, UK, near Cornwall, say they forbid all unmarried couples to share beds because of their "deep regard for marriage." A gay couple is challenging that policy under new anti-discrimination laws:

"Martyn Hall, who lives with his civil partner Steven Preddy, has lodged a county court claim for up to £5,000 in damages alleging 'direct discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation'. But [owneers Peter and Hazelmary Bull] deny the charge, saying they have a long-standing policy of banning all unmarried couples, both heterosexual and gay, from sharing a bed at the Chymorvah Private Hotel in Marazion near Penzance in Cornwall. Mrs Bull, a 62-year-old great-grandmother, said that even her brother and his female partner had to stay in separate rooms when they visited the hotel...Last August, the Bulls received a letter from Stonewall, the gay rights organisation, saying it had received a complaint and warning the hotel it was breaking the law."

Comments

1. One thing I don`t understand is why anyone, gay or straight would want to stay at a hotel run by nosy busybodies like these.
    I`ve stayed at hotels with a straight friend or brother and shared a bed. It doesn`t imply anything about someone`s relationship, and I should never have to justify that someone is or is not my brother or my friend or my husband. It is not the hotel`s business.
    I would just rather spend my money elsewhere where the privacy of guests is respected.
    What kind of victory would it be to force the hotel to let the public give them more money... I would rather that potential customers of all sexual orientations just choose not to go there.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 23, 2009 5:34:53 PM

2. HAZLEMARY?

hahahahaha.

Posted by: _adam_ | Mar 23, 2009 5:38:33 PM

3. She is breaking the law because she is discriminating against unmarried people? Yes she is, but her discrimination against gays is repugnant because they cannot rectify the situation by getting married - as England has no Gay Marriage Laws.

May she lose her property due to her stupidity.

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Mar 23, 2009 5:43:37 PM

4. I hope they have to pay big time. It is far beyond the time that busybodies like these learned that living in the past is no excuse for breaking the law. If they want to offer public accomodation, they should accomodate the public.

My husband (then partner) and I had a similar experience in Scotland in 2003. After a long day of driving around we pulled into a small deserted coastal town that had clerly seen its best days 70+ years ago. As it was after 5:00 p.m., we used a tourist kiosk at the visitors center in town to make a reservation for the night. This required a deposit. We picked the gayest looking place we could find, which also happened to be the kitschiest: an old victorian, canopy beds,lots of little touches. Upon arriving we were told by some English prick, the owner, that his wife would never allow two blokes to sleep in the same bed, although he personally didn't have any problem with it. We were the only three people in the building and had no recourse to getting our money back.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 23, 2009 6:12:37 PM

5. BURN IT TO THE GROUND! Take the couple out back, line them up against a wall, AND SHOOT THEM!! Only fire can purify this site now. What about imaginary friends who you aren't married to? It seems like a way to turn a profit masked in what they think is acceptable morality. Trash.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 23, 2009 6:32:14 PM

6. It's their house and should be allowed to have whatever rules they want in the house - as long as the same for all, which this sounds like - if the rule is no unmarried couples sleep together then respect it. You don't like the rule stay somewhere else - don't take out your gay card and whine - every no in this world is not a gay issue. As a gay man I can respect another person's rules as I expect them to respect my rules in my house. This is nt a public house (supported by gov. money) but rather a private home - you run a fine line if the characters are changed between straights and gays.

Posted by: Craig | Mar 23, 2009 6:34:05 PM

7. Surprise! Laws apply to Christians too! Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's, bitches.

Posted by: Pender | Mar 23, 2009 6:34:26 PM

8. This is another example of people twisting the law to get away with discrimination, just like the anti-gay adoption and fostering laws in many states that disallow unmarried couples to adopt – it's entirely motivated by homophobia, but staged as being more about marriage.

My question is... Do these owners ask EVERY heterosexual couple that attempts to register for proof of marriage? That would be the only way of determining if their actions and policy are truly about a "deep regard for marriage." Somehow, I doubt they do.

Posted by: Jon | Mar 23, 2009 7:29:55 PM

9. Their house, their rules. Don't like it? Don't stay there. I don't see how this case has any merit if they do indeed enforce that rule upon everyone.

Posted by: Aaron | Mar 23, 2009 7:45:39 PM

10. Aaron and Craig, it's not just their HOUSE... they advertise as a HOTEL, and therefore a business that must follow hospitality laws. Though I don't know England's requirements, I would hope that they be required to treat all guests with equal regard. But at the very least, I suspect that given the civil union laws, the owners will be forced to treat couples possessing a civil union as equally as those with a marriage license... which would merit some form of compensation for the plaintiffs.

Posted by: Jon | Mar 23, 2009 8:22:54 PM

11. It would be interesting to see if they would allow a legally married male couple or legally married female couple to share the same bed. Some tourists come from parts of the world where same-sex marriage is fully legal.
    On second thought, who in their right mind would want to stay at an establishment where they are not welcome.
    It's still discrimination....and it is disheartening to read stories like this.

Posted by: excy | Mar 23, 2009 8:40:39 PM

12. When you use your property as a place of business, you're required to obey anti-discrimination law. I don't know why this comes as a huge surprise to anyone. You're not exempt from labour laws if you hire a maid to clean up your house. And this is no different than opening a coffeehouse and posting a "Whites Only" sign at the door. It is absolutely unacceptable and illegal behavior.

And if these were Christians who were thrown out of the Disney World Resort for "disturbing" other guests with private prayers inside their hotel room, the right-wing would throw a frakking hissy fit. Republicans would have an orgy of outrage about evil Disney "ruined" good peoples' family vacation.

This armchair libertarians only believe in "private property" when it is conservative white people excluding everyone else.

Posted by: John in CA | Mar 23, 2009 8:53:14 PM

13. I don't see a problem if the couple hadn't had a civil union, but if they did then the owners of the hotel ought to regard that as marriage since that's the closest thing that the UK allows for gay couples.

Posted by: C. Foley | Mar 23, 2009 9:14:57 PM

14. I tried to email them on their website but they don't have a contact email listed. Any advice?

Posted by: william ww | Mar 23, 2009 9:20:37 PM

15. I'm with the Hoteliers,
    those two strumpet hussies should be married!
    What is the world coming to?

Posted by: Nonplussed | Mar 24, 2009 5:23:08 AM

16. I wonder what Elton John feels about this, since he feels that civil unions are enough recognition for marriage and we Americans are wasting our time trying to get marriage equality? I guess gay Brits are separate and unequal.

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Mar 24, 2009 8:11:07 AM

17. Is this like the only hotel in England?? Try a booking with a gay friendly tour agency next time.

Posted by: anon | Mar 24, 2009 11:02:29 AM

18. "Sir, my partner and I are exhausted from enjoying your fair countryside. We would prefer a single room with a single bed to cuddle. However, we will take two separate rooms if you insist, but be aware that if we have to do that, we will summon the last bit of strength in our muscles and shag the hell out of each other -- repeatedly -- in one of those beds."

Posted by: BobN | Mar 24, 2009 2:39:41 PM

19. they can go and stay at another place where they would be welcomed; this is also bigotry from the side to the gay couple who simply wished to force the situation on people who hold different principles than themselves. The 'law' is not always 'right'.

Posted by: Phil | Jul 16, 2010 8:29:47 AM

20. This isn't bigotry from the gay couple. In the UK, the anti-discrimination and hospitality laws clearly state that offering your place as a hotel, you have to accept the public. They broke the UK laws, as I believe two courts have found now.

Posted by: bgk | Mar 12, 2012 10:44:51 AM