Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Genetics | News | Washington

WA GOP State Senator: Gays Deserve Rights, Homosexuality Genetic

Washington GOP state senator Dale Brandland and former Whatcom County sheriff Dale Brandland told the Bellingham Herald this weekend why he voted to approve the domestic partner bill that was passed by the senate last week:

Brandland "I guess from my perspective, I've come to the conclusion that people are born gay. I don't think this is something that they just pick up along the way. Once I came up with that kind of conclusion, it wasn't difficult for me to understand that gay people are going to develop feelings for people of the same sex and will want to get into meaningful relationships. I thought it was inappropriate to deny them some of the basic rights that relationship entails."

The paper continues: "Brandland's 'yes' vote didn't please Randall of the Faith and Freedom Network. Randall quoted the senator on the organization's blog post-vote and then called Brandland 'a gay activist's fantasy' who, along with the two other Republicans who voted in favor, 'had abandoned their own Republican party and voted against traditional marriage.' Brandland has said in the past that he considers himself a more fiscally conservative and socially liberal Republican. But he doesn't support marriage for gay couples. 'I basically said I was in favor of going as far as civil unions,' he said"

The measure passed the senate by a vote of 30-18 and appears poised to pass in the House as well.

Comments

1. You know, I think many politicians who say "civil unions are ok, marriage is not" are trying to placate both sides. They obviously support the equal rights, but even for many liberals fully supporting gay marriage is a potentially explosive subject. (Which it should not be.) - At any rate, good for him. With more Republicans like this around, they'd get my attention again.

Posted by: lis | Mar 16, 2009 12:01:10 PM

2. How nice of him to admit that he can't entirely discriminate against gays because homosexuality is all genetic and all. But the whole thing about giving gays only some of the rights associated with a relationship proves once again:

Once a fucking Republican scumbag bigot, ALWAYS A FUCKING REPUBLICAN SCUMBAG BIGOT.

Posted by: Roscoe | Mar 16, 2009 12:08:15 PM

3. Roscoe: Dude, old dude totally said something that makes sense to millions upon millions of people. He, in one interview, has done more for our "cause" than you or I could ever hope to do to advance our fight for civil rights. Whether you care for his opinion or not, may I suggest you use a different way to register your opinion?

Btw, not every Republican is a " FUCKING REPUBLICAN SCUMBAG BIGOT." Just like not every Gay is a whiny little Bitch of a fag.

Really.

I swear.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 16, 2009 1:39:55 PM

4. Agreed, Derek. The GOP is about to go through a very tumultuous restructuring. One can almost feel the wind of change, as intellectual conservatives finally take the party back from the religious/social conservatives. There will probably be a lot of pain involved for them, and though they are not my party, one just has to wish them well in their battle to take the reigns away from what are, essentially, religious fundamentalists.

While my own gay fantasy would be a candidate who supported all the rights of other federally recognized relationships, we don't even have that in Obamma, so it is hard to condemn a GOP senator, a former cop, for openning the door in his party for what will likely become a larger dialogue.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 16, 2009 2:03:36 PM

5. Roscoe, a Civil Union doesn't have to have any rights restrictions on it, it can just be the same as Marriage under a different name, it is possible, if Obama gets Federal Recognition of CU's through, and if DOMA could get repealed I doubt it wouldn't happen. Whether there will always be recognition problems or get-arounds by employers is a different matter but a Civil Union means "Marriage under a different name but with the same rights" is how most people see it.

Posted by: Occono | Mar 16, 2009 7:43:03 PM

6. Notice how the extremist no-marriage bigots always imply it's only the marriage issue, and not gay rights including civil unions, until they actually have to pass pro-gay rights laws, then their true no-rights-whatsoever side comes right out.

Remember Utah, remember these freaks opposing even this guy. The religious right lies about everything they stand for.

Posted by: Craig | Mar 17, 2009 9:46:46 AM