Iceland | News | Yoko Ono

Yoko Ono's Imagine Peace Tower with Aurora Borealis

Peacetower

Over the past few days I've occasionally been checking out the webcam that faces Yoko Ono's Imagine Peace Tower in Reykjavik, Iceland (it's on until March 28 for the spring equinox and in honor of John and Yoko's honeymoon). For a webcam, it's pretty killer. Anyway, I just happened to check in and caught a frame (it updates every 5 minutes with a 30-second exposure) with a beautiful shot of the aurora borealis in the background. This is an unenhanced screencap. I was pretty amazed to be able to see the northern lights so clearly.

Thought I'd share.

The Imagine Peace Tower is powered entirely by geothermal energy.

One more shot, AFTER THE JUMP...

Peacetower2

Comments

1. Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted by: stephen k | Mar 24, 2009 9:14:56 PM

2. Yay Yoko...

Posted by: onolennon8 | Mar 24, 2009 10:55:17 PM

3. looks like needless light pollution to me.

Posted by: Daniel | Mar 24, 2009 11:06:50 PM

4. Beautiful -- thanks!

Posted by: bgbaysjr | Mar 25, 2009 9:49:03 AM

5. Geothermal or not these light displays are deadly to migrating birds most of which migrate at night - using the patterns of stars to navigate. Migrating birds flock to these light beams like moths to a flame and they fly around in them confused and disoriented until they are exhausted and die. These lights are pretty for us to look at but they are unfortunately environmentally irresponsible and destructive.

Posted by: KBR | Mar 25, 2009 9:55:11 AM

6. Wow, what a photo!

You never fail to impress me, Towleroad.

I can always count on you to have a rather obscure bit of info about gay life that I would not find easily elsewhere.

I especially appreciate the mentions about volcanoes, the albino elephant, and sadly the senseless killings of the polar bears.

Your read is one of the highlights of my day.

Posted by: Hugh | Mar 25, 2009 10:16:17 AM

7. No posts all day? Is something up, or am I just for some reason seeing an old page in my cache?

Posted by: Distingué Traces | Mar 25, 2009 9:57:31 PM