California | Gay Marriage | News | Pageants

Miss California Has 'Gay Activist' Sister, Many Facebook Friends

Miss California Carrie Prejean, who came in second place over the weekend in the Miss USA beauty pageant after Perez Hilton asked her if states should follow Vermont and Iowa's lead in legalizing same-sex marriage, says she "feels like [she] won."

Prejean Why? Because she has had 2,000 friend requests on Facebook and she stood up for her bigotry.

She told Access Hollywood's Billy Bush that her sister, who is not gay, is a gay rights activist. Said Prejean: "She supports gay people, she supports gay marriage. My beliefs have nothing to do with my sister or my mom, or whatever. She was just in my hotel room and she said, ‘Sis, I’m not offended by anything that you said. We have two different opinions and I love you because of it. I love you because you stood up for what was right, and it’s not a matter of being gay or not gay, it’s a matter of you competing for Miss USA and getting a question and answering it to the best of your ability.”

Added Prejean:
“It did cost me my crown. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I said what I feel. I stated an opinion that was true to myself and that’s all I can do. “It is a very touchy subject and he is a homosexual and I see where he was coming from and I see the audience would’ve wanted me to be more politically correct,” she added. “But I was raised in a way that you can never compromise your beliefs and your opinions for anything.”

Audio, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This girl needs a pie in the face.

Posted by: Trev | Apr 20, 2009 2:27:44 PM

2. Human rights are never a matter of opinion and anyone that thinks so is a moron.

Posted by: John M | Apr 20, 2009 2:34:09 PM

3. I love how she is trying to martyr herself now. "It cost me the crown, and I would not have had it any other way." Uh...what proof do you have that you would have won anyway? None. Face it, North Carolina Barbie was basically you, but better. Ho didn't stand a chance.

Posted by: Ugh | Apr 20, 2009 2:38:04 PM

4. So proud to have her represent the state I live in. I do hope they publicize the D list events where she will be appearing so all the gays she hates so much can let her and her sponsors know how we feel about her bigotry.

Posted by: dezboy | Apr 20, 2009 2:39:27 PM

5. hmm wonder what the audience woulda' thought if she said "People of the same races should ONLY Marry each other, thats what my religion tells me, and GOD put races on different continents - so it has to be true"

Im sick to death of people USING thier religion to Cover thier Bigotry.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 20, 2009 2:40:02 PM

6. What bothers me is not that she "stood up for her beliefs" but that she started off her answer talking about how in America, we have freedoms and the right to choose... but then goes on to say that gays and lesbians shouldn't have the same right to marry as heterosexuals. She completely contradicted herself and the whole concept of freedom.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 20, 2009 2:44:14 PM

7. She lost at "politically correct." Dumb bitch. What you said WAS the politically correct thing to say. Did you think you were speaking some unspeakable truth that most disagreed with? Cunty.

Posted by: Nick | Apr 20, 2009 2:49:14 PM

8. I loved her and thought she was a good fit, anyone was better than miss california and her answer. what did you all think of that? geez. anyhow at least everyone looked beautiful, here are a ton of pics I wanted to share wtih you from last nights show: enjoY!

Posted by: Chris Richards | Apr 20, 2009 2:49:40 PM

9. What a brave little trouper, sacrificing everything for beliefs! I'm SO glad that her straight sister wasn't offended by what she said, and felt that she stood up for what is right. That makes ALL the difference.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 20, 2009 2:50:03 PM

10. This Loser Barbie is a C...t!! No doubt she ONLY dates men who Make a certain amount of money$$,or drive a certain kind of car...so typical...take the make-up off,the hair dye out...and you're left with a skinny semi cute wench.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 20, 2009 2:51:10 PM

11. I'm with JON...she started off with what a great country we live in b/c we have choices. Whatever she's a c u next tuesday.

Posted by: ERB | Apr 20, 2009 2:51:33 PM

12. She attended a Christian college. And she tried out to be a model on "Deal or No Deal." Now, isn't gambling a sin?

Posted by: homer | Apr 20, 2009 2:54:43 PM

13. her belief in bigotry cost made her just another also-ran in a pageant. loser.
    maybe she can marry a nice RICH christian husband in Nor Cal.

Posted by: Herbo | Apr 20, 2009 2:57:48 PM

14. WHY FAULT SOMEONE WITH THEIR BELIEFS? ITS LIVE AND LET LIVE..I AM GAY, I ALSO DO NOT BELIEVE IN GAY MARRIAGE!!
    STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN..IF YOU ARE GAY AND YOU THINK ITS RIGHT FOR GAY PEOPLE TO BE RECOGNIZED AS A FRIST CLASS CITIZEN THEN GO AHEAD AND PROCLAIM IT..
    BUT DO NOT MOCK OTHERS WHO DO NOT SHARE THE SAME BELIEFS AS YOU..RESPECT THEIRS, TOO, AS HOW YOU WOULD WANT YOUR BELIEFS RESPECTED!!

Posted by: drake | Apr 20, 2009 3:09:55 PM

15. Thank you, Joan Crawford...now please unlock you caps lock.

Posted by: Windy | Apr 20, 2009 3:20:21 PM

16. oh Drake....

FRIST(sic)...enough with the shouting...
    second...stfu

Posted by: doug | Apr 20, 2009 3:22:49 PM

17. I appreciate that you presented your crazy opinion in all-caps. It helped me to identify you as crazy before even reading the first line.

Posted by: Tony in West Hollywood | Apr 20, 2009 3:23:24 PM

18. People keep asserting that opposition to granting legal recognition homosexual unions is bigoted, as though such claims are proven facts.

Maybe I missed the memo that defines bigotry as anyone who disagrees with homosexuals about this issue, but even if there was such a memo, there is no evidence that people have a moral obligation to endorse homosexual unions.

There is even less evidence that rejecting demands to endorse homosexual unions is bigoted.

As I said before...

It's very sad that homosexuals are demanding that Christians reject their faith, even to the point of attempting to force them to say they endorse lifestyle choices that are incompatible with authentic Christianity and/or that they desire to see those choices elevated to a protected status under the law that is equal in value to Christian marriage. I realize homosexuals want civil marriage, but Christian marriage always includes civil marriage, and elevating homosexual unions places Christian churches at risk, as they may lose tax exempt status if they do not bless homosexual unions if the law creates an artificial equality between marriage between one man and one woman and homosexual unions.

In so far as equal rights, marriage is not essential to human dignity. Lots of people never marry. That doesn't make them less than human under the law. Additionally, when marriage is correctly understood in law as a union between one man and one woman, this doesn't exclude anyone from getting married. It just means that in order to be married, one must marry someone of the opposite gender. People with homosexual tendencies can get married. They just have to marry someone of the opposite gender, just like everybody else. If that's not what they want, they don't want marriage.

Society is benefitted by recognizing and promoting stable marriages between one man and one woman, which is the only way marriage has always been defined throughout thousands and thousands of years of human history, because the family unit of one man and one woman raising children promotes healthy social and psychological human development and prevents the poverty and societal destruction that stems from single motherhood.

Homosexuals basically want to force people to endorse their lifestyle choices and say their feelings are okay. The hypocrisy is that the homosexuals who want this won't endorse my lifestyle choice as a practicing, believing Catholic, and they won't say it's okay for me to believe or feel that all Catholic teaching on matters of faith and morals is the truth. They want to demand that I say their beliefs are good, which requires rejecting my beliefs. It's true that embracing my beliefs would demand that they renounce theirs, but I'm not trying to force them to embrace my beliefs.

Homosexuality, as a life choice, is nothing like race or national origin. There's no choice in race or national origin, but lifestyles are always choices. Feelings may not be choices, but it's ridiculous to say a person should be able to act on any feeling he or she may have. Eating disorders involve feelings, so do drug addictions, so do adultery and fornication, both of which are unbelievably destructive to society (adultery, by destroying marriages and families, and fornication, by promoting poverty and bringing children into the world without a stable family unit for healthy psychological development). Feelings don't necessitate legal rights or benefits.

Homosexual lifestyles involve choices. They involve beliefs. They are more like a religion or political convictions than anything to do with race or national origin, and religion and/or political convictions can't and shouldn't be forced on adults in a free society. A free society should also not be allowed to interfere with religious beliefs and/or political convictions taught to children. Religious beliefs and/or political convictions are a choice. If people with homosexual tendencies want to chose to live a homosexual lifestyle, nobody can stop them right now, as the law currently stands. American law should not be required to endorse the religion/political conviction of homosexuality, just as it can't endorse any other religious belief and/or political conviction.

Posted by: Marilyn | Apr 20, 2009 3:25:11 PM

19. She is a byproduct of bigotry, just like the Phelps' kids holding their "God Hates America" signs. We will see many more like her as we see progress being made. It is unfortunate how they and their parents set themselves for irrelevance.

Posted by: Rafael | Apr 20, 2009 3:31:23 PM

20. troll often marilyn?

Posted by: alguien | Apr 20, 2009 3:35:00 PM

21. Marilyn, hasn't anyone ever told you that stereotyping is tacky? Not all Christians believe homosexuality is wrong or that homosexuals should be denied civil rights. You don't speak for all Christians. You speak only for yourself.

Posted by: taodon | Apr 20, 2009 3:35:33 PM

22. oh Marilyn....

so convoluted...
    second...stfu

Posted by: doug | Apr 20, 2009 3:36:33 PM

23. Oh fuck you Marilyn. You spew your shit all day long, but when it comes down to it. You're a fucking ignorant bigot.

Put on the robe and hood and get the fuck out of here.

And take that little cunt Drake with you.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Apr 20, 2009 3:36:53 PM

24. how did this bitch even come in at second place??

i guess the saying is true "pretty on the outside (if you like trailer-trash Fresno bleached blonds) but nasty and disgusting on the inside."

Posted by: stolidog | Apr 20, 2009 3:37:08 PM

25. I find it amusing that people who believe homosexuality is a choice base their beliefs off of their religion - which they chose.

Posted by: taodon | Apr 20, 2009 3:39:16 PM