Desperate Housewives | News | Real Estate

BigGayDeal.com

Extreme Home Makeover: The Munsters vs Desperate Housewives

Munster1

Yesterday I saw a clip from the GLAAD Awards red carpet in which Dana Delaney mentioned that the home on the Universal backlot which used to house The Munster family now houses Bob and Lee, the gay couple played by Tuc Watkins and Kevin Rahm, so I did some looking around. And well, you know what they say about gay gentrification.

The house, above, as it was during The Munsters show. Below, in transition...

Munster2

And below, in its current incarnation on Wisteria Lane. You know, I have to say I prefer the neighborhood when Lily and Herman were around. At least it had some edge. Delaney's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP...

Munster3

Comments

1. This isn't terribly on topic, but while I was (halfway) watching Desperate Housewives last Sunday, I was also checking out an event that is coming up this Thursday that Dan Savage is participating in.

This American Life - Live: http://www.thislife.org/About_TALLive.aspx

This seemed more interesting than the television show I was watching and I proceeded to find out how to get tickets. I clicked on the "get tickets" button and found this:

The theaters participating in "This American Life - Live" are Cinemark...the chain we are supposed to boycott (remember this: http://nomilkforcinemark.com/ )

I decided not to go, of course. Not that it matter, because the event is SOLD OUT in San Francisco.

Speaking of "sold out" why is Dan Savage participating in an event that is being held at theater whose CEO contributed $9,999 to help pass Prop 8?

Posted by: patrick | Apr 21, 2009 10:17:43 AM

2. Sorry, but gays in their right mind may have cleaned up the house from picture one to picture to, but never have taken away all it's charm and blanderedized it into picture three. Funny this is news. I don't even watch this show but I noticed this house was the munster house long ago on a chance viewing. One of the other residents lives in the Cleaver house btw.

Posted by: Critifur | Apr 21, 2009 10:18:00 AM

3. Good thing the set designer slathered it with fake, perpetually-blooming Wisteria like the other houses -so we don't forget they live on Wisteria lane.

Posted by: pickles | Apr 21, 2009 10:18:35 AM

4. The Munster version was really attractive...but the artificial, generic box it has become is more appropriate in today's America. I'm just surprised it doesn't have a big ole two car garage door protruding from the front of it.

As painful as it is to see historic homes deserted and bulldozed, on the flipside it will be a huge pleasure for me when I see them start tearing down the garbage that's been built over the last 40 years in this country.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 21, 2009 10:38:41 AM

5. All the houses on Wiseria Lane have appeared in other TV shows and movies dating back into the '50s (For instance, Bree's house belonged to "The Hardy Boys" on that '70s TV show; Gabrielle's was the house next door to Jane Wyman's house in the movie "All That Heaven Allows" in 1954). However, most of these houses have been rebuilt/remodeled numerous times and ALL of them were moved to their current location as their original sites on the backlot were bulldozed for a freeway expansion some years back.

Posted by: Funbud | Apr 21, 2009 11:05:11 AM

6. Argh! I can't believe they ruined this set; totally removed all charm this set had. It's a real shame...

Posted by: octobercountry | Apr 21, 2009 11:16:50 AM

7. With all us gay folks who make a living in historic preservation, you think the show could gotten better guidance and not come up with that remuddling job.

Posted by: patrick | Apr 21, 2009 11:25:16 AM

8. Awful. Modern home architecture devoid of any quirky detail is just awful. What's the appeal of that look? A failure of imagination or the urge to conformity? Whatever it is, its ugly. Like you said, the Munster's look was edgy. Now that's appealing.

Posted by: Timothy | Apr 21, 2009 11:32:44 AM

9. I love the Munsters house a lot better also. But I think we all need to remember that this is not a real house. It's a set. It's never been a real house. There may be an argument for historic preservation, but come on. It's not the Psycho house or anything.

Posted by: Leland | Apr 21, 2009 12:38:53 PM

10. Wasn't the 30 something house on this street also when it was shooting in the 80s? Anyhoo...

Posted by: David B. 2 | Apr 21, 2009 1:55:24 PM

11. The house was originally built indoors on a soundstage for the 1946 movie “So Goes My Love” starring Myrna Loy and Dom Ameche, and moved to the backlot in 1950. It was redressed as the Munster house between the filming of the Munsters pilot and the start of the series. Check out the photos here - www.themunsterstoday.tk It appeared with the turret in the first season of Desperate Housewives, but was redressed when it became Bob and Lee's house.

Posted by: Ruddigore | Apr 21, 2009 2:00:35 PM

12. The interior was a classier on The Munsters as well.

Posted by: Yeek | Apr 26, 2009 5:54:55 PM

13. I have tertiary syphilis.

Posted by: Pharquar | Jan 13, 2010 8:25:07 AM