AIDS/HIV | Arkansas | Austria | Brazil | Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | Gay Pride | IDAHO | Latvia | Lawrence King | Milo Ventimiglia | Moscow | Nevada | New Hampshire | New York | News | Portland | Robert Pattinson | Ryan Reynolds | South Carolina | Vienna

News: Latvia, Ryan Reynolds, Cannes, Life Ball, Cambodia, GPS

roadNew Hampshire Senate holding hearing on new language in marriage equality bill. To vote tomorrow.

Dyingswan  roadAnti-gay activist allowed to lead first Baltic Pride March in Latvian capital of Riga. Activist: "It is only right that those against us should be allowed to express their views."

roadRobert Pattinson's hair arrives in Cannes.

roadArkansas GOP Chair slammed over stump speech warning voters of the dangers of having an open lesbian in the state legislature.

roadDrama in Portland over new LGBT weekly magazine.

roadRyan Reynolds to Betty White: "Why don't you go suck a hot c*ck."

roadBrazilian government releases plan to defend civil rights and adoption by gay couples.

roadPOLL: Half of Nevadans oppose civil unions. "The poll, which did not gather opinions about gay marriage itself, found 38 percent of Nevadans favor domestic partner legislation, while 50 percent oppose it and the remainder are undecided. Democrats back the plan, incorporated in Senate Bill 283, by a 46 percent to 36 percent margin, while independents support it 47 percent to 42 percent. But Republicans oppose the proposal by a 71 percent to 23 percent margin, more than offsetting the Democrat and independent support."

roadHilary Duff, Carson Kressley, Michael Urie come out for AIDS Walk New York, which raised $5.6 million.

Mrgaythailand  roadCambodia crowns first 'Mr. Gay'.

roadVallejo, California student wins $25K settlement in ACLU harassment lawsuit against high school: "Comments were said like they don't know if I was a boy or a girl, I need to pull up my pants, I'm a lady. I couldn't be put into a girls locker room."

roadUK police stations lower Union Jack, raise rainbow flag in show of force on International Day Against Homophobia: "One police chief said the rainbow flag demonstrated his force's support for homosexuals who felt they were victims of prejudice. But critics warned that it was dangerous for forces to show support for particular campaigns."

Stpete  road While gay rights demonstrations in Moscow were marred by arrests, demonstrations in other Russian cities, like St. Petersburg, were notably peaceful. More photos.

roadHearing for accused killer of Lawrence King postponed again: "A Ventura County Superior Court judge on Monday reset the first hearing for Brandon McInerney to July 8. McInerney's lawyer, Scott Wippert, says he needs more time to prepare documents before the preliminary hearing. McInerney, who is being prosecuted as an adult, has pleaded not guilty."

Lifeball  roadInside Vienna's Life Ball. More here.

roadKenyan archbishop Zacchaeus Okoth slams homosexuality: "For the African, gender is either male or female; other issues such as homosexuality should not arise. In this context, the belief of the African is consonant [with] the teaching of the Bible, namely God created only two sexes: male and female. God created Adam and Eve. God did not create Adam and Steve!"

roadUltradome: Milo Ventimiglia set to produce and star in weird web series about intellectual film discussion.

roadSouth Carolina activists to protest omission of gays and lesbians from teen dating violence bill.

roadGPS satellite system on verge of collapse? "The satellites are overseen by the US Air Force, which has maintained the GPS network since the early 1990s. According to a study by the US government accountability office (GAO), mismanagement and a lack of investment means that some of the crucial GPS satellites could begin to fail as early as next year."

Comments

1. If the bishops of Africa want to be taken at all seriously by the rest of the world, then they'll need to come up with something more thoughtful than Mr. Okoth's penetrating insight. "Adam and Steve"? Bitch please. That expression was tiresome 20 years ago... now it's just laughable.

I hate it when bigots are that unimaginative.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 19, 2009 4:02:35 PM

2. When people think of Nevada, they think of Las Vegas and figure we must be this freewheeling place full f liberal thinkers. That is not the case.

We have a huge population of Mormons and conservative "Christians". In addition, a lot of our citizenry is made up of people from the so called "flyover states" and they are NOT friends of the LGBT community.

I myself was serving in my role as Clark County Democratic Black Caucus Director of LGBT Outreach last Friday when I was viscously verbally attacked in our Government Center by a local Pentacostal deacon who screamed without shame or reservation at me in front of witnesses that I "was an abomination before the Lord!". He then went on to scream, several times that I was a "faggot" and then said theat "a faggot" had infected the men in his church with AIDS. It was traumatizing to say the least and I truly thought we were about to throw down right there, but, the Director of the Black Caucus threw herself between us at which point this McCurdy (who is an appointed member of our Regional Transportation Commision) began screaming at her " I rebuke thee in the name of Jesus!" It was tawdry and shocking, but, not unheard of here.

The silver lining? Most of the city council has already called me and apologized on behalf of the city. Also tomorrow night on our talk show we are going to have a panel discussion with religious leaders to discuss faith and the LGBT community.

If I may Andy, here's our show info: IN THE LV www.vegasallnetradio.com 8-10pm Wednesday. We welcome call ins 702 731 1230

Thanks and everybody, keep on keeping on.

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 19, 2009 4:12:23 PM

3. The Sandra, Ryan and Betty clip is the best plug for a movie ever!

Posted by: KJ | May 19, 2009 4:38:06 PM

4. god created 2 sexes

in fact the majority of the pagan world pre islam, xtianity, and judaism (in other words the monotheists and yes judaism did have a short missionary period specifically into north africa and areas in the ME outside of Judea) believed the gods / most of the time specifically a great mother figure created anywhere from 4 - 8 sexes with what we would call trans individuals being pushed into specific and respected service to the chief mother goddess of their respective pantheons. The most extreme case of such spread out from Mouth Ida in present day Turkey throughout the ME, asia, parts of Africa and up into parts of central europe = Cybelle whose main servitors were hermaphrodites either by birth or by design = men who smashed their testicles between rocks and or cut them off and took to wearing make up and female garb.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | May 19, 2009 5:21:13 PM

5. PS

derek

wow, good for you not responding back with violence.

Sadly my own response in such a situation would have been less evolved and either been violence or laughing in the guys face.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | May 19, 2009 5:25:44 PM

6. How do we get the word out to boycott Las Vegas? The governor is planning to veto a domestic partnership bill. (He says it's basically the same thing as gay marriage.) Why should we spend money in a state that treats us as second-class citizens?

Posted by: David in Houston | May 19, 2009 6:58:22 PM

7. When 45 out of 50 states treat you like "second class citizens," it is rather hard to do vacation planning while sticking to your principles. I don't see too many gay people boycotting California after Prop. 8 ... or indeed Florida post Amendment 2.

Posted by: John | May 19, 2009 7:49:59 PM

8. Isn't telling a man "go suck a hot c*ck" as an insult to the man TOTALLY HOMOPHOBIC, or is that just me?

I've always been uncomfortable with people saying something "sucks" because I think the origins of that expression come from using a statement that a man sucks penises -- i.e., he's a homosexual -- as an insult.

The use of "sucks" has arguably gotten well away from its origins, but what I suspect are its origins are not too cool, so it kind of bothers me when I hear it. Betty White's use brings it back very explicitly to its origins.

Posted by: Wondering | May 19, 2009 8:47:59 PM

9. PS:

Betty wouldn't have said, "Go lick a hot p*ssy." Imagine her saying that. That just wouldn't have been an insult -- right?

And people don't say, "this licks." They say "this sucks."

I prefer to say "stinks." As in, thoughtless homophobic bullsh*t stinks.

Posted by: Wondering | May 19, 2009 8:53:23 PM

10. Please don't boycott The LV! Pretty much every Gay person I know here depends on tourist dollars AND the whole state realizes we have the worst Gov in the US! Trust me, even the Republicans hate him and think he's an idiot. While we have a lng way to go, like much of the country change is coming quicker than any of us would have dared imagine even 5 yrs ago. Hang with us and together we'll beat back the forces of oppression from one end of the country to the other. Honestly, who ever thought Iowa would have Gay Marriage? Anything and everything is possible.

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 20, 2009 12:20:46 AM

11. Derek,

I wouldn't do that any way. For the visitor, I don't think Las Vegas is any worse or better than other major American cities. The tourism industry doesn't bite the hand that feeds them. I've never had any unpleasant encounters with staff at the large casinos. And statistically, you're just as likely to get gay bashed in "gay friendly" San Francisco as you are in Charlotte, NC.

This is a pretty rough country in general. And evil though they might be, I'm fairly certain that homophobes know how to use the flying machine and horse-less carriage. If you can move around, then the haters can too. Fighting them at home or in Las Vegas makes little difference to me.

Posted by: John | May 20, 2009 4:00:23 AM