Connecticut | Couples | Gay Marriage | New York | News | Relationships | Rudy Giuliani

BigGayDeal.com

Rudy Giuliani Fails to Show at Wedding of Gay Pals Koeppel and Hsiao

Giulianipals

Howard Koeppel and Mark Hsiao, the New York couple who housed former mayor Rudy Giuliani for six months during his messy split with wife Donna Hanover, were married in a ceremony in Westport, Connecticut yesterday.

Giuliani "was a last-minute no-show," the New York Post reports. Said Koeppel: "Rudy and Judith were both invited with a beautiful written invitation by mail. His secretary called Thursday and said he was not able to come to the wedding and wished us all the best." In a follow-up blurb, the couple "shrugged it off" and blamed it on politics.

Koeppel and Hsiao recently defend Giuliani's anti-marriage-equality statements when the former Mayor said he'd make it a campaign issue should he choose to run for governor next year: "He isn't an advocate for gay marriage because of his religious beliefs. He is a traditional Catholic. Those teachings say marriage should be between a man and a woman."

The NYT published their wedding announcement on Saturday. Boy Culture has some analysis of the video which accompanies it, which you can watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. what a sickening way to use one's resources and influence. instead of taking this great opportunity to make a powerful statement they pull out a framed photograph with Giuliani. These guys are so infatuated with their proximity to someone who was once powerful and celebrated that they've lost a sense of reality. they deserve a no-show from Giuliani. they've got to turn this thing around.

Posted by: Paul | May 4, 2009 8:09:31 AM

2. what a couple of hypocritical pathetic little losers.

Posted by: Dino | May 4, 2009 9:28:53 AM

3. UGH. How many times does it have to be said that NOWHERE in the Bible does it say "Marriage is between a man and a woman". There are millions of verses in the Bible. Only 5 remotely have anything to do directly with homosexuality, and those can be easily understood not to condemn homosexuality IF READ IN CONTEXT. So therefore, the marriage claim is an extension of an extension of a faulty interpretation. People who cite the Bible or religion haven't even OPENED THEIR BIBLE MUCH or else don't understand what they've read or choose to ignore context. UGH! We have too many lazy Christians and, as this post proves, citizens.

Posted by: Leona | May 4, 2009 10:01:46 AM

4. a traditional catholic... divorced twice and married three times

Posted by: lk | May 4, 2009 10:26:10 AM

5. guess Rudy sent them a fruit basket. Think they registered for internalized homophobia? Nope, got that.

Posted by: doug | May 4, 2009 10:27:14 AM

6. LK--and don't forget--once to his cousin...what a douchebag.

I can't believe I actually thought he was a decent person, at one point!!

Posted by: troschne | May 4, 2009 10:30:46 AM

7. Unless that comment about Giuliani`s marriage views were said for irony with a wink and a roll of the eyes, I`d have to conclude that these guys are not very bright.
    Matthew Chapter 5 makes a pretty strong statement against marriages like Giuliani`s, and the Catholic Church has always, traditionally, been against serial monogamy.
    These ``defenders of marriage`` always seem to lack integrity in their own marriages. It`s the same story over and over and over among the anti gay crowd. I tend to think they lash out against the rights of married couples who are of the same sex out of some twisted desire to make themselves feel less sinful... as if to say ``Well, my marriage may be sinful but at least I`m not gay!``

Posted by: GregV | May 4, 2009 10:45:41 AM

8. Hit me with your bigot-stick, hit me, hit me, .....

(with apologies to Ian Drury)

Posted by: pushkin | May 4, 2009 11:20:42 AM

9. Maybe its a version of Stockholm Syndrome? They're so used to be pilloried by their close personal famous friend they like it? It's very twisted. I don't need friends like that, which is why I quit the Catholic Church.

Posted by: Ted | May 4, 2009 11:24:44 AM

10. All parties concerned are dumber than a bag of rocks.

Posted by: soulbrotha | May 4, 2009 11:42:27 AM

11. These three have a strange friendship.

Even if he objected to the marriage - having your secretary call? Just plain wrong.

Then these two guys are running around talking about it, over and over and over. I think if I was shunned by a friend - even a public figure - it would hurt badly and the last thing I'd want to do is take it public. I'd want to focus on the marriage. I get the sense that they're getting a PR turn-on out of this, for some reason.

Lastly, Leona - don't get me wrong. I dig where you're coming from. I'm not a Christian (or anything else). I don't believe in the bible. But with Jude 7 in mind in particular, I just think it's a longshot to say that the bible has no issue with homosexuals. That doesn't bother me because I don't give a shit. And I appreciate good people like you trying to make the other argument, even if I don't buy it. But I think we have to face the fact that people who oppose gay rights on biblical grounds are not 100% lazy idiots. Some of them are very bright. Saying that they need to just open their bibles and pay attention isn't going to cut it, anymore than people telling non-believers that "you just need to read the bible and you'll see" is going to change them.

The big question is: are they worth trying to reach? Maybe, but we're learning we don't need to reach them to win the fight. It's happening on its own. Maybe after we've won we can have a nice little sit-down power-point show about how the bible's position should be irrelevant in a civil democracy.

Posted by: Yeek | May 4, 2009 12:14:53 PM

12. Giuliani, the Falwells, the Warrens, the Bushies, the inbred Phelps brood, Focus on the Pseudo Family, Maggie "Stinks" Gallager, most Mormons, most Catholics, most denominatins, Miss Not Miss California … their "liberal" enablers like Obama and Pelosi and the Methodists and some Episcopalians…none of these people are the reason we are still second class citizens…why some of us are still physically attacked, others murderered, and some 11-yr. olds would literally rather die than be called fag….

It is gays like this.

A plague on their house!

Posted by: Leland Frances | May 4, 2009 12:17:33 PM

13. Traditional Catholics don't get divorced. Well, actually they do, a LOT. Funny how it's okay to bend the rules when it's convenient for oneself.

Posted by: paul c | May 4, 2009 12:37:14 PM

14. Traditional Catholic Beliefs - Please, the catholic church does not recognize divorce, so in the churhces eyes he is living the life of adultry with 3 marriages. Great Catholic, additionally the churches views on Birth Control, yet he hasn't fathered a small army with these wives.

Posted by: MTB | May 4, 2009 12:38:25 PM

15. @ YEEK: I agree with much of your comment. I would say, however, that it MIGHT be worth reminding the religious anties of all the things they (probably) do that the bible prohibits (shaving, eating pork, borrowing money (if xian), etc.). Does the bible say it's OK to pick and choose? Is the proscription against homosex in the 10 commandments? No.

OTOH, social science says that when people hold irrational beliefs (OK, redundant), they will cleave to them MORE if you challenge them.

Perhaps you are right and we should simply remind them that Civil Marriage is not Religious Marriage and their place of worship is welcome to do or not do whatever the fuck they want.

Posted by: David R. | May 4, 2009 1:04:50 PM

16. Even if you weren't gay, there's something psychologically wrong with you if you are proud of being friends with the plague known as "Guiliani".

Posted by: ED2 | May 4, 2009 1:24:00 PM

17. I'm willing to bet Hsiao is from Singapore.

Posted by: Marc | May 4, 2009 1:24:37 PM

18. @ PUSHKIN: Bravo! Hit me, hit me, hit me!

Posted by: David R. | May 4, 2009 2:10:20 PM

19. First of all, they were speaking for him, which was a mistake; and second, they have hurt him politically with this story. This is NY we are talking about.

Posted by: anon | May 4, 2009 2:33:03 PM

20. Howard and Mark? He's just not that into you.

Posted by: stephen k | May 4, 2009 4:58:52 PM

21. Why would Hsiao be from Singapore?

He's from Taiwan. Singaporean guys are not that into old Jewish hypocrites.

Posted by: Daniel | May 4, 2009 8:25:07 PM

22. ``I don't believe in the bible. But with Jude 7 in mind in particular, I just think it's a longshot to say that the bible has no issue with homosexuals.``

David R. Jude 7 doesn`t mention anything about homosexuals. It refers to Sodom and Gomorrah being perverse.
    keep in mind that the story of Sodom is about a group of angels hiding in a house with a violent mob outside threatening them and eventually attacking them.
    Now imagine for a moment that scenario involving ANYONE. Let`s say that six Mexican grandmothers are hiding in a garage in Texas and the Klan breaks down the door and attacks them. I`d say that`s a perverse act. Did I just denounce all heterosexuality... of course not. The idea that homosexuality deserves to be read into that story has always seemed beyond bizarre to me.

Posted by: GregV | May 4, 2009 9:39:35 PM

23. Mr. Andy Towle August 19, 2013

Cease and Desist
    It has come to my attention that my exclusive, copyrighted photograph of car dealer Howard Koeppel and his partner Mark Hsaio kissing celebrating their wedding vows has been used by your site since May 4, 2009, to the present date, for more than FOUR years, without my knowledge and without my permission.
    I have never received any type of communication from you regarding licensing this exclusive, copyrighted image. My contact information, my email address and my mobile phone number are easily obtainable via several search engines, or by calling the New York Post, where my photograph was originally published – and from where you most likely downloaded and copied it.
    The link to your use of my photograph (pasted below) is:
    Your action posting my photographs allows anyone who can rightclick their mouse to download and further use my photographs without compensating me for my time, effort, skill, and almost four decades of experience.
    You are hereby put on notice to CEASE AND DESIST the unauthorized use of my photograph, i.e. IMMEDIATELY REMOVE MY PHOTOGRAPH from every Internet site upon which you posted it, and provide me with full and complete disclosure of same. Your failure to do so will expose you to all available remedies, in law and equity, in both the state and federal courts. If you have any questions or comments, my attorney can contact you, which will incur further expense.
    You may provide a link to the NY Post’s site, and you may choose to reference the article and photograph in the NY Post, but YOU MAY NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, use my photographs without my permission, nor without compensation.
    You are responsible to IMMEDIATELY remove from your web site the above mentioned images, and immediately contact me regarding remuneration for your unauthorized use of my image.
    A correction noting the your unauthorized use of my image must be prominently displayed on your website, and the same correction noted online.

Robert Kalfus