Brandon Flowers | David Letterman | Music | News | Television | The Killers

BigGayDeal.com

Killers Perform 'Dustland Fairytale' with Full Orchestra

Killers

Last night The Killers performed "A Dustland Fairytale" on Letterman with a full orchestra. Probably one of my favorite tracks off "Day & Age".

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That was FANTASTIC!!

Posted by: Michael | May 12, 2009 10:22:53 AM

2. amazing. Thanks for that

Posted by: william ww | May 12, 2009 10:47:54 AM

3. I'm a huge fan, too. But then I read that Brandon Flowers is a Mormon and refuses to discuss Prop. 8 and gets prickly when asked about it, and I find myself turning off the radio when I hear them. I hope I'm misinformed, but unfortunately that's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the Killers.

Posted by: Turtle | May 12, 2009 12:02:06 PM

4. I saw it last night and I hated it. I don't have the CD and I hadn't heard the single, so my first reaction was that the whole orchestra and lighting was way too much and I really wanted Brandon Flowers to keep singing instead of yelling. But now that I've watched it again I love it! I sort of had to settle in for a few seconds during the beginning of the full orchestration, but then I started really enjoying it. That performance made me want to buy the album. Maybe I was just really tired and couldn't deal with something so loud.

Posted by: K | May 12, 2009 12:05:07 PM

5. best set of live music on the set from all of '09. urgent Springsteenisms hooked up w/ the glam set from Vegas - please make more.

Posted by: brian | May 12, 2009 12:44:28 PM

6. i dont get it:

they write terrible songs, he cant really sing, but somehow they are just so good.

two wrongs evidently do make a right.

Posted by: jash | May 12, 2009 1:00:09 PM

7. His shoes were so ugly...his hair was so bad...and the epaulets...all I can say is that Brandon needs a stylist. Such a lovely guy ruining his looks.

Posted by: paul c | May 12, 2009 2:08:02 PM

8. I have always hated The Killers. And that 'somebody told me that you had a boyfriend who looked like your girlfriend' song should get them permanently banned from being within a hundred yard radius of any musical instrument.

@K: thanks for the info about Brandon Flowers refusing to discuss Prop 8. Very interesting.

Posted by: peterparker | May 12, 2009 3:01:24 PM

9. You are grossly misinformed, Turtle. Brandon Flowers is hardly a practicing Mormon. He drinks, smokes cigarettes... and he only has 1 wife. Regarding Prop 8, he's been quoted in magazine interviews expressing support for marriage equality.

That said, the last Killers album was gawd-awful.

Posted by: crispy | May 12, 2009 3:35:21 PM

10. The thing I love most about The Killers is that they are not allowing themselves to be categorized asa "rock band". Instead, they release songs that lack guitars and have full-on steel drums ("I Can't Stay" from Day & Age).

I love that! It reminds me of my favorite band, Metric. They don't mind sometimes doing what's not necessarily popular and may not get played on Top 40 radio stations.

Posted by: damien | May 12, 2009 4:00:27 PM

11. yeah killers and metric both rock!

Posted by: David B. 2 | May 12, 2009 4:29:17 PM

12. Brandon Flowers is an inconsistent Mormon and individual.

I'd read he used to have terrible stage fright, and that was obvious in this performance---he couldn't look at the camera in the first part when he knew it was on him. Also, for the first half it was hard to know the orchestra was there (aside from the harp) because the band totally drowned them out. Only in the second half were the strings, etc., clearer. I still enjoyed it a lot, but it seems like more rehearsal was needed.

So this reminds me of how I feel about their latest CD: about half is great, gnaws into my head, and won't leave. The other half is uninspired but at least not painful.

Posted by: Paul R | May 12, 2009 5:46:33 PM

13. Turtle,
    you do have it wrong. Yes he is mormon but from Wikipedia (and other sources):

Flowers opposes his church's stance on gay rights issues, and he has made public statements in support of same-sex marriage.[citation needed] Despite this, some of his fans have held his church's stance against him in the aftermath of the Proposition 8 in California, which received large Mormon support. A spokesman for the LA Gay and Lesbian Centre has criticized this kind of blanket anti-Mormon backlash.[11]

Posted by: Roy | May 12, 2009 7:37:40 PM

14. AUGH

Brandon Flowers, you Mormon motherfucker, you know perfectly well how aroused I am right now and you just don't care!

Posted by: Distingué Traces | May 12, 2009 8:46:28 PM