Gay Marriage | News | Utah | Washington DC

Mormon Congressman Opposes D.C. Council Same-Sex Marriage Bill

Following yesterday's passage by the D.C. Council of a measure that would recognize same-sex unions performed elsewhere, ex-con and former D.C. Mayor Marion Barry, who was the sole vote against the measure, declared: "All hell is going to break lose. We may have a civil war. The black community is just adamant against this."

Chaffetz Barry has some allies in Congress, the Washington Post reports:

"At least one GOP member said yesterday that he will try to block the bill from becoming law. 'Some things are worth fighting for, and this is one of them,' said Rep. Jason Chaffetz (Utah), the ranking Republican on a House Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee that oversees the District. 'It's not something I can let go softly into the night. . . . I recognize the Democrats are in the majority, but I represent the majority of Americans on this issue.' Several council members and gay rights advocates are hopeful that the Democratic majorities in the House and Senate will be able to stop congressional intervention. 'I do not believe that a serious attempt to overturn the council bill will be made or will be successful,' said Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.), who praised the council's decision.

Congress has 30 days to review District legislation: "The bill could present the House and Senate with their biggest test on the same-sex marriage issue since Congress approved the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. "

(via americablog)

An AP video report on the bill's passage, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @Derrick from Philly - well my point went right over your head. I'm calling bullshit on people labeling everyone by their minority group status - especially when they are attacking something about that person.

You know, like Andy does on this blog at an alarming level.

Posted by: paul c | May 6, 2009 1:31:46 PM

2. Hi Derrick from Philly!
    "Aryan homos rock!" -- one of my favorite categories of music! :-)

Posted by: tjc | May 6, 2009 1:38:03 PM

3. "...My, my...it must be frustrating for those on this blog who enjoy insulting ALL black people..."

Actually, I've never seen anyone on this blog insulting all black people.

Posted by: Jeff NYC | May 6, 2009 1:55:58 PM

4. "...well my point went right over your head. I'm calling bullshit on people labeling everyone by their minority group status - especially when they are attacking something about that person."

Well, then, I must apologize to you. But I have to admit, PAUL C, your point is still over my head based on your first posting. But I like your explanation, "...labeling everyone by their minority group status," and it is more than welcomed. Homophobes should be attacked for being homophobes, not their race/nationality or ethnicity.

I apologize, and I thank you.

And now for JEFF NYC,

"Actually, I've never seen anyone on this blog insulting all black people."

JEFF, how could you-- you're from New York. Have you been to Manhattan to buy some of those Obama cookies lately?

Hi, TJC,
    Did ya' ever think you'd see the day when I'd be a militant? It's a sad day for the Panthers, honey.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 6, 2009 2:35:32 PM

5. Derrick, I get where you're coming from, as a mostly anglo man, really i do... and I definitely have seen the blatant racism on these pages, but please, there's no need for you to be one of them.

And to the troll who says that homosexuality is maladaptive. Take a freaking biology course! If anything homosexuality is ADAPTIVE for a species that is suffering from sever overcrowding. But then again, the LDS refuses to believe in science and any kind of biological imperative or law...

Posted by: Mr. E | May 6, 2009 3:02:31 PM

6. @Derrick from Philly - you have a ton of class.

Posted by: paul c | May 6, 2009 3:14:35 PM

7. Derrick, instead of complaining here on this blog, why don't you get and and do something to counter what Barry is saying. Especially since he thinks he is a spokesperson for all black people.

By not doing anything, you are allowing him to claim that he speaks for all black people on this issue, and since no one is countering him, whites and other minorities are going to thing he does as well.

Posted by: Eric | May 6, 2009 3:15:29 PM

8. It seems like Americans may be waking up the fact that anyone gullible enough to believe in a religion invented by a partially literate, overtly racist New York con man is unfit for public office. Smart people don't vote for Mormons. Ever.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | May 6, 2009 3:57:50 PM

9. ".... allowing him to claim that he speaks for all black people on this issue, and since no one is countering him, whites and other minorities are going to thing he does as well.

Posted by: Eric | May 6, 2009 3:15:29 PM

ERIC,

Complaining? Ok, we'll call it that, but I'm also responding to comments made by people on this blog--comments insulting to black folks, especially black gays. I never claimed to be an activist, ERIC. I'm just a "regular" on Towleroad.

And ERIC, as far as other blacks "countering" Marion Barry's anti-gay bullshit. Well, Mayor Fenty and most of those city council members supporting gay marriage rights are black. Or maybe you didn't notice them--just Barry and the ministers. That figures, ERIC.

MR E,

if I were a racist, I'd have never found any value in visiting this blog, or developing pleasurable "Internet" acquaintanceships with some of the white folks who are regulars on this blog.

Oh, wait a minute--you're talking about my reference to "Aryan homos?" Oh. Oh, well, what kinda' white folks actually call themselves "Aryan"?

Mr E, black people (even me) can be bigots, but we really can't be racists. You'd have to rule over people for a few hundred years (Europeans), or keep separate from other people ( the Japanese) in order to truly develop a feeling of racial superiority--racism.

I don't feel like a racist, and my bigotry is kept 95% under control...that's pretty good, I think

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 6, 2009 4:00:44 PM

10. If Obama could pry himself away from buying out corrupt companies with taxpayer money, I'd love to hear his opinion on the matter.

Posted by: ED2 | May 6, 2009 8:35:28 PM

11. I canlt believe it's not BUTTARS

Posted by: Rikard | May 6, 2009 8:55:55 PM

12. DerrickFromPhilly,

Thanks Boo.......Because as a Black Gay Male who stands for equality I was becoming very offended at that statement from him.

You know it's amazing how some folks stick us ALL in one category. As if we're all Anti-Gay even us Black gays isn't that funny?

There are many African Americans who stand for EQUALITY!

Please don't bring that onto this site!

Posted by: Chris (And not that one) | May 7, 2009 1:39:05 AM

13. I saw exactly what I expected from the GLBT folks on this post. Mormons and blacks are expected to be tolerant of them, but they are obligated to reciprocate. You people are all disgusting - not because you are gay, but because you have no integrity. Don't make fun of a group of people and expect to have their support. That's just stupid.

Posted by: floppydog | May 7, 2009 7:17:00 AM

14. I guess I just work with enough black folks who aren't homophobic (or at least, aren't overtly so -- but the same applies to the white folks) that I personally _do not_ make the connection "black = homophobe". But I also try to assume the best in people until they cross me. Exceptions: fundies, radical right-wingers, etc -- those I assume are against me until proven otherwise.

Posted by: tjc | May 8, 2009 6:00:39 PM

15. Look! Everybody is forgetting that GAYISM is nothing more than a mental illness. and YOU IN CONGRESS, should not be antagonizing these people. and just like druggies the GAYS are in denial. You should be trying to get help for these people. These kind of people any you in congress are really screwing up this nation, and congress does not seem to care. This GAYISM is bad for the people and our children.. I have no problem with you gays doing what you want, but quit trying to force this Gay stuff down our throats. If our founding fathers wanted us to have Gay marriage don't you think that we as a nation would have had Gay marriage from then on..STOP IT!!!

Posted by: Michael W Adams | May 10, 2009 3:05:55 PM