Barack Obama | California | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | News | Proposition 8

Obama to Face Gay Protest at DNC Beverly Hills Fundraiser Tonight

President Obama, the alleged "fierce advocate" for LGBT rights, is scheduled to attend a Democratic Party fundraiser at the Beverly Hilton tonight, one day after White House spokesman Robert Gibbs refused to offer any official response to the Supreme Court's decision to uphold Proposition 8 in California.

ObamabeverlyhiltonA Courage Campaign-organized demonstration is scheduled to take place in front of the Beverly Hilton this evening. The group writes: "Let's take this opportunity, just one day after the CA Supreme Court makes its decision on Proposition 8, to show our President our support for his daring promise to our community and to highlight the growing movement towards FULL FEDERAL EQUALITY."

Attending the demonstration will be recently discharged (under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell') Lt. Dan Choi and other LGBT military servicemembers: "They will ask for response from President Obama to the letter signed by 136,000 people asking the president not to fire Lt. Choi by ending DADT."

How long can President Obama remain mute on his promises to the LGBT voters who elected him?

Comments

1. @Nique Tamare

That charge is racist itself.

The fact is the Democratic Party, as a whole, has failed to act on LGBT issues and has even signed on to anti-gay legislation like DOMA. All the while, taking our votes, our money, and our time.

Obama is the head of the Democratic Party right now. And our community needs to send a message to the Democratic Party that they cannot continue to court our community come election time nor can they scapegoat our community when they lose elections.

And actually, I don't hear too many white gay activists saying anything all that different from black gay activists as regards Obama and the Democratic Party. So take your race baiting and go on somewhere.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 27, 2009 12:28:54 PM

2. Would someone in the Democratic Party please stand up and say enough is enough when it comes to the civil rights of gay and lesbian Americans. I call myself an American with hesitation. Deep down I know I am not a real American. I am not afforded the same rights that a real American is fortunate to have. The Prop 8 decision came out yesterday and my President treated it as if it did not matter to him. The courts allowed bigotry to steal the right to love from millions and he acted like it was no big deal. I am sick and tired of being a second class citizen, and my party ignoring the issue because they believe it will not help them politically. We need leaders who believe that gays and lesbians are Americans just like our Straight counterparts and are not afraid to voice it. Loudly. The President being silent when gays and lesbians have their civil rights stolen from them is no better than the people who believed African Americans did not deserve the same civil rights as white Americans. Any pride in America that came from the election of a black president and the nomination of the first Latino Supreme Court justice, a woman no less, has been erased by its ability to not only stand by while a large number of its citizens have their civil rights taken away but actually take part in the discrimination. The Democratic Party gets large amounts of support both financially and otherwise from its members, gay and straight, that believe that their party should be on the front line in the fight for civil rights for every American. It saddens me that my party is more than happy to use the support of gays and lesbians to obtain power, but once in office we are treated like we do not matter. As time passes the support of gays and lesbians only grows among everyday Americans. It may be moving slowly, but I assure you that the way Democrats are treating us today will not be forgotten tomorrow.

Posted by: Brandon | May 27, 2009 12:32:05 PM

3. Yikes...I smell a stink coming from the White House. I'd never support anything the murdering Teddy Kennedy was behind.

Posted by: Anon | May 27, 2009 12:41:35 PM

4. You Hillary dead-enders are completely pathetic.

Posted by: ish | May 27, 2009 12:44:40 PM

5. "Overreaching" is scouring under the flaps at the bottom of an empty box for more excuses to defend a political phony. "Overreaching" is trying to mind read a politician in such a way that you can deny what comes out of their mouths. They often carefully use words that can be interpreted various ways, but plain "words matter" the most.

Plain Fact 1: Obama repeatedly NEEDLESSLY wrapped his opposition to civil marriage in religion. No other Dem candidate did.

Plain Fact 2: Obama, despite pleas from gays of all colors, used a rabidly homophobic black minister, a "poster boy for the black religious ex gay movement" in the words of black lesbian minister Irene Monroe, to shill for black votes in a state that had just months before constitutionally banned marriage equality. No other Dem candidate did.

Plain Fact 3: Obama courted homophobe and major Prop 8 supporter Rev. Rick Warren at his mega hate church. I don't recall any other Dem candidate doing that. It was a recording of his saying "God is in the mix" there that was used to help pass Prop 8. Google images of "Obama Rick Warren" and be freshly nauseated by their exuberant delight in each other.

Plain Fact 4: He also needlessly mixed religion and civil marriage equality in his 2004 US Senate race. Did Clinton in her Senate race?

"I'm a Christian, and so although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman." - Barack Obama, September 2004.

The continued efforts to find something to exonerate Obama for his manipulation of words to simultaneously seduce both gays and antigays while acting, or rather INacting, on the side of the latter once elected sounds more and more like Battered Wife Syndrome.

"Yes, he's a terrible husband but he still loves me."

Posted by: Leland Frances | May 27, 2009 12:47:37 PM

6. I'm normally critical of most protests (because I think their targets are often so poorly chosen) but I think this is a good and legitimate one. It's meant to be a statement to the President to.."Hey, keep your promises!"

Posted by: JT | May 27, 2009 12:51:10 PM

7. Wait a minue. maybe I am wrong, but didn't Hillary's dear husband Bill CLinton sign the DOMA?????? How is it that Hillary is the Holy Grail of gay rights? I am confused.

Posted by: Mario | May 27, 2009 12:55:26 PM

8. Ok,so what is the alternative folks? John McCain? Obama may not be moving as fast as we would like him to but he's only been in office a little over 100 days. I am willing to cut him some slack but I am disheartened at his silence. I was hoping he could at least SAY SOMETHING to assuage our angst.

Posted by: Jim | May 27, 2009 12:56:43 PM

9. The White House has released a statement (saw it on MSNBC so I'm sure it's out there) regarding an announcement on LGBT issues to coincide with the Stonewall anniversary. Sounds like they've got something up their sleeve and they're going to use Stonewall and the Pride celebrations to broadcast it... whatever "it" is.

Posted by: Wayne | May 27, 2009 1:13:01 PM

10. Ares -- Hillary's husband gave us DADT and DOMA.

Thanks a bunch, bitch!!!!!

Barry is no imporvement.

There will be no change until we bring this coutnry to a halt. We could do it. But we want to be "liked" too much.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 27, 2009 1:18:12 PM

11. It's time for the gay community to show what power our money has on the economy. A little trick we played on the San Francisco Board of Sups. years ago, we labeled our bills "GAY MONEY" or put pink triangles on them.
    Just a thought. Peace.

Posted by: DK | May 27, 2009 1:24:14 PM

12. Did they think the courts were going to overturn Prop 8? why would they do that, the people voted last November, thats what most choose. If they overturned the peoples vote, then our vote no longer matters. Just because your mad it happened last November, No one should be able to overturn what a majority of the people voted for.

And people who are gonna Protest at a Fundraiser tonight, its a waste of time, the president has more important issues hes dealing with, I would say 99.99% of the country would not put this issue at the top of his list.
    I

Posted by: Rob | May 27, 2009 1:29:04 PM

13. I sure as hell hope the crowd is a bit less tame than last night in WeHo. March people. Where is the rage?

Take it to the streets (peacefully) and be heard. We barely even made the news last night. Pathetic. Those copters weren't covering us, they were quieting us and cornering us.

Let's show Obama what 10,000 angry gays look like!

March on Wilshire.

Posted by: z | May 27, 2009 1:34:26 PM

14. Much as I don't like being thrown under the bus, I would have to agree w/ JAKEINLOVE. The greater good right now is fixing our economy. I'd rather have food on the table than a marriage license (I know there is a joke there).

Posted by: chasmader | May 27, 2009 1:35:25 PM

15. you pathetic whiny little twits don't deserve anything from the President because you are petty and selfish. I am a gay man, but I realize there is more to the world and to the President's agenda than only gay rights. He is being pummeled trying to fix the economy and revice the financial industry as it stands. What sense does it make to alienate people he must work with immediately to placate a bunch of self-righteous prima donnas!!!Timing is everything so get over yourself.

Posted by: Chaz | May 27, 2009 1:36:20 PM

16. "Overreaching" is scouring under the flaps at the bottom of an empty box for more excuses to defend a political phony. "Overreaching" is trying to mind read a politician in such a way that you can deny what comes out of their mouths. They often carefully use words that can be interpreted various ways, but plain "words matter" the most.

"Yes, he's a terrible husband but he still loves me."

Not.

Posted by: Leland Frances | May 27, 2009 1:36:49 PM

17. Wish I was in California. I would love to attend that demonstration.

Posted by: charley | May 27, 2009 1:50:17 PM

18. Thousands of us marched last night in San Diego - all through the streets of downtown to the Hall of Justice. It was so powerful, so passionate, and such a blessing to be a part of. I met tourists who joined in on the march eating ice cream cones who were THRILLED to be a part of this moment in history. We as gay and lesbians will NEVER give up on this - we've been dealing with it all of our lives. We have no choice but to press on - and we will. As Coretta Scott King said, ""We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny . . . I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be," quoting her husband, Martin Luther King Jr. "I've always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy!"

Posted by: evan thomas | May 27, 2009 2:01:01 PM

19. The way the protest is being billed is pretty clever.

Posted by: Kugel | May 27, 2009 2:05:15 PM

20. I'm quite sure the Obama administration can address the ongoing recession and also represent the interests of GLTB citizens. I can walk and chew gum, I'm quite certain that Obama can too.

The myth of scarcity (too much on his plate, etc) is just a ruse, a stalling tactic.

This board is filled with trolls today. That's a good sign actually.

Posted by: FASTLAD | May 27, 2009 2:13:36 PM

21. Posted by: Hank Drake | May 27, 2009 12:15:21 PM

Hank, please explain WHY you do not think he could change his opinion on Marriage Equality? He had a very different opinion when running for the Senate in Illinois, where he stated unequivocally that he supported full marriage rights for gays and lesbians. His "opinion" only changed when he saw the chance to become President.

Posted by: RK Wright | May 27, 2009 2:19:14 PM

22. Whoa. The one issue, low information non-voters are out and raging here. The vitriol directed at our fine president, the desire to embarrass, the wish to disrupt this event, the cynicism and disdain, are painful to read.
    You folks must have been told that this is a long struggle which has been going on since before many of you were born. The need to see it resolved now, the impassioned need for immediacy, is puerile and self-involved. Demands for action NOW from politicians have been commonplace in this movement for over 40 years. And still, many, many people who were passionately involved in gay activist politics fought bravely even as they knew they would never see the success they envisioned. They died young even as the movement aged with incremental successes. Screaming abuse at Obama, a friend, will not be helpful and we will be seen by our opposition as eating our own. Please think before you speak. Change gonna come.

Posted by: fregan | May 27, 2009 2:21:37 PM

23. @Leland

The reason Obama did that was because he was never really accepted as far as the majority of the black "conservative" church community here in Chicago, bottom line. I agree with everything that you wrote there.
    Hillary Clinton, quite frankly, had more connections with the black church community nationwide than Barack Obama.

Until Donnie McClurkin, that is (who was a Bush supporter in 2004).

I was never confused about that. I agree with all of your Plain Facts.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 27, 2009 2:23:05 PM

24. Thanks for the sexism, David, and others. I hate to add fuel to the attempt of people to distract from the real issue which IS who won, but SHE did not sign DADT nor DOMA now did SHE?

Note, too, whatever his past sins, and they WERE MANY, the Bill some luv to hate did robo calls AGAINST Prop H8TE while, again, Obama's exploiting religious homohatred to win votes for himself also won votes FOR PROP H8TE.

The subject of the post was and IS Obama and why he's gone from "fierce advocate" to Bush Lite.

Posted by: Leland Frances | May 27, 2009 2:25:04 PM

25. Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 27, 2009 1:18:12 PM

So, you are going to blame HER for the actions of her husband? Are you going to blame her for Bill getting his dick sucked in the Oval Office too? I'm sorry, but here we are arguing about Marriage Rights and you would blame one spouse for what the other did? At a dinner party, do you accept the blame when your husband screws up the meal? Are his actions your actions? Not in my household. I support my husband when he is in the right, or when under unfair attack, but his actions are his own and he is responsible for them.

And your misogyny is showing, bitch.

Posted by: RK Wright | May 27, 2009 2:25:19 PM