California | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

Proposition 8 'Day of Decision' Slideshow

NOTE: I'm going to be leaving this up top a bit longer today (Wed) because of the high amount of participation we've received. Regular posting will continue below.

Here are some of the photos we've received of action from Towleroad readers related to the California Supreme Court Proposition 8 decision. Click on photos for more info. I've added some of my own photos from the NYC demonstration this evening.

Also, check out our MAP page where you can see photos via location.

If you have relevant photos of reactions to the ruling, protests, or anything related, please share them with Towleroad readers by emailing from your phone or computer to post@towleroad.com. CITY, STATE in the subject line, CAPTION and CREDIT in email body. Don't forget to attach the photo.

Comments

1. The California Supreme Court is made of 6 whites, 1 Asian who all decided to uphold Prop 8. Strange, cuz I coulda swore I was told that Blacks are the ones who hate gays. Yet there aren't any on the CSC bench. Hmm...

Care to shed some light on the subject, Dan Savage?

Posted by: Q | May 26, 2009 4:34:52 PM

2. Can we see the CITY STATE CAPTION and CREDIT to go along with the photos? It would certainly enhance the slide show to know what we're looking at.

Thanks

Posted by: Jack Landers | May 26, 2009 5:08:52 PM

3. The woman with the "I'm old, I'm Jewish and I'm gay" sign is clearly too awesome for words.

Posted by: mb | May 26, 2009 5:11:27 PM

4. @Q:

Just to correct this, it was not a unamimous decision. Justice Moreno, who is a Hispanic American by the way, did not vote to uphold this. He was the only one on the Supreme Court who wouldn't let the YesOn8 people intimidate him!

Posted by: Bryan C. | May 26, 2009 5:25:41 PM

5. Thanks for posting my "Good Supremes/Bad Supremes" pic!

Posted by: Tralfaz | May 26, 2009 8:33:17 PM

6. Protest happened in Atlanta tonight. Very angry about this ruling! Not shocked, but very pissed off!!!

Posted by: RB | May 26, 2009 9:33:38 PM

7. the reaction has been more depressing than the decision. fewer than a thousand people showed up.. in san francisco !!!! .. and everyone was laughing and chatting on their phones. WHERE IS THE ANGER ?!?!? at this moment there is NOBODY in front of city hall since the small group is headed to the MLK memorial ( ????? ) what the hell is wrong with people ?1? their rights have just been stripped away and.. oh well... no biggie. i give up. maybe we don't deserve our rights.

Posted by: el polacko | May 26, 2009 10:07:07 PM

8. http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2009/05/my_thoughts_on_todays_prop_8_n_1.php

Posted by: marc | May 26, 2009 11:20:44 PM

9. El Polacko: It was a "not unexpected" decision. Very different situation from Nov. 2008.

We will be smart, and we will win, and over not that much time...

Posted by: Brian | May 26, 2009 11:40:51 PM

10. Thanks Bryan C. I know about Moreno. I was only dealing with the judges who voted to uphold it to make my point about the past race-baiting over this issue. It was poor wording on my part.

Posted by: Q | May 26, 2009 11:43:21 PM

11. Next time all gay guys in California should remember to actually go out and vote (unlike last time). They became too complacent (not everyone, but too many). And I still say most of the protestors in NYC tonight are too goofy, since they didn't show up to protest Sen. Diaz' anti-gay-marriage rally last week.

Posted by: JT | May 27, 2009 12:07:28 AM

12. California - fiscally and morally bankrupt - for the same reason - their system of government does not work. It's the Lord of the Flies times 33 million. Perhaps it is too bad Obama shot his load bailing out Wall Street and he's too broke to save their asses too?

Posted by: Ted | May 27, 2009 12:26:45 AM

13. The GLBT Community can put 250,00 people into the street for a Pride Parade but can't 2500 when our rights are stomp on. Senator Diaz bused in people from all over to protest against gay marriage. It is finally time to dump the anti LGBT politicans.

Posted by: walter | May 27, 2009 12:36:15 AM

14. Walter : That's because most gay males in NYC just enjoy the social event of parading around. When the real adversary was actually right there, they declined to appear and risk facing some unpleasantness.

Posted by: JT | May 27, 2009 12:54:33 AM

15. Phoenix Pride turns out a ton of people, though we had about 300 (well-sppreciated) people show up tonight. If protests included a drink coupon, maybe we could have more there...
    I show up whenever possible, and yet I'm single and have not been in a relationship where I'd consider marriage since 2000. WTF is wrong with our "community" overall?
    More reason why a march on DC would not be as effective as some think, unless we could get a circuit party going on the National Mall.

Posted by: tk_phx | May 27, 2009 1:26:08 AM

16. there were about 50 people on castro street tonight. there was talk about marching off to.. somewhere.. but they turned on the music so everybody decided to stay and dance instead. harvey milk is spinning in his grave.
    @brian: nobody expected this decision more than i did. i was against arguing the case as a voter's rights issue rather than a equal rights issue from the beginning, but that does nothing to change the gut-wrenching hurt and anger i'm feeling at being designated a THIRD-class citizen today. the sight of happy, dancing "protesters" sickens me. the gay rights movement in san fran is dead if people will not rise up over the stripping of their own civil rights. did we work all these decades just to be told to wait for "some day" ??

Posted by: el polacko | May 27, 2009 2:17:23 AM

17. Well, with the disgracefully low reported turn-outs and "partying protesters", I think the gay "community" can stop the comparisons with the Civil Rights Movement. Apples and oranges.

Posted by: Q | May 27, 2009 2:35:41 AM

18. Ted,

It is not bad at all. In fact, I was hoping Obama would tell the beggars - Schwarzenegger, Pelosi, Newsom, and Villaraigosa - to go away and leave him alone. California needs to head into bankruptcy. That's the only way to fix the completely broken system of governance there. The federal government has to force them to do pass the necessary reforms.

And the only way the federales have jurisidiction without running into the 10th Amendment is if the state declares bankruptcy and explicitly asks for outside intervention.

Posted by: John | May 27, 2009 2:51:34 AM

19. I'm not suggesting anyone do this, but since the California ballot initiative process is so easy to use for whatever means the majority wants, could someone start a proposition that allows people to vote on those state Supreme Court judges' marriages? It might have a good chance of actually passing.

It's like the signs at the rallies: "Shall we vote on YOUR marriage?"

And wouldn't the justices be bound by it, and uphold it, since they said that anyone under the current California ballot system can easily do anything--all the people need is 50% + 1? I wonder what their response to that would be. 6-1 to uphold that ballot measure?

Posted by: Joe | May 27, 2009 4:21:02 AM

20. Just to note, in San Francisco the protest started at 5 at City Hall, then at 6 marched downtown, where a very large crowd gathered to hear the usual platitudes and speeches from the same people who always give them.

What was impressive was that a splinter group then turned back and marched up Market Street to the Castro, where an unplanned sit-in occurred on the street...and more speeches were given. I left around 9, so if dancing started after that I missed it. But after four hours of impeding the city's main traffic corridor (in addition to the three hours on Van Ness in the morning), there wasn't much left to do unless you were seeking to smash local gay businesses.

Yes, more people should have left the bars (getting applause for marching from people holding cocktails on a balcony is sickening), but it wasn't quite as dire as El Polacko suggests. Maybe there were 50 people by 10 pm, but it was considerably larger earlier. There were also about 500 cops scared shitless of a riot but very protective and at a distance. And at the downtown event the single counter-protestor I saw was swiftly removed by six cops. (Sadly enough, I couldn't even tell if it was a man or a woman...great person to be protesting gay rights. I walked over to get in his/her face, but the cops were all over it, and removed her/him for public drunkenness.)

Posted by: Paul R | May 27, 2009 8:33:15 AM

21. Where the hell were these people when we were blocking the intersection at 10:30? I guess work was more important than making a stand.

Having seen the outrage and the anger of my community only seconds after the verdict was released to the crowd, I can tell you that I was appalled that the ENTIRE gay community of San Francisco wasn't there to demonstrate. Why wasn't the entire area around city hall completely filled with outraged members of the LGBTQQ community? Why weren't there more straight allies there?

I guess it was more important for them to score photo ops at the later, passive protest with as little effort as possible instead of getting arrested like my friends, and actually fighting.

This later protest was nothing but a pity party for the queens who didn't really care as much. Thanks.

Posted by: MateoM | May 27, 2009 1:14:24 PM

22. Turnout in Seattle was decent, but not as big as we would have liked. OTOH, Prop. 8 is not a WA proposition, though we have something similar in the works (Referendum 71).

If you want to help us fight that, please go to http://equalrightswashington.org

There's a new coalition called, Washington Families Standing Together to fight the anti-gay 71 which would strip us of our Domestic Partnership option.

Click on the photos to see their caption and provenance.

Posted by: David R. | May 27, 2009 3:12:49 PM

23. OK, I haven't even gotten through all the pix but I'm inspired by this NATION-WIDE response to one (albeit important) state's ruling.

This portends well for a March on DC in October!

Posted by: David R. | May 27, 2009 3:30:25 PM