Gay Parents | News | Wanda Sykes

Wanda Sykes and Her Wife Alex Have Twins

SykesPeople reports that on April 27, Wanda Sykes and her wife Alex welcomed twins:

"Daughter Olivia Lou weighed in at 6 lbs., 7 oz., and was 19-inches long. Son Lucas Claude debuted at 7 lbs., 9 oz., and was 20-inches long. The comedian's wife gave birth to the babies."

Comments

1. Partner? They're legally married in California (until California unmarries them). She and her wife had twins...

Posted by: Hank | May 13, 2009 6:01:03 PM

2. congrats

Unrelated comment though, please don't ever have ads with video and sound ever again. Let alone THREE that play at the same time on different parts of the page! That was awful.....

Posted by: ben | May 13, 2009 6:10:18 PM

3. awesome

all the best to her family :)

Posted by: sundog | May 13, 2009 6:35:59 PM

4. Thank you People mag for referring her as her wife - and not in quotation marks or anything! We're winning....

Posted by: Jeff | May 13, 2009 6:41:33 PM

5. Yay!
    Congrats to the happy parents.
    And when they're old enough I'm sure she'll be a good parent and warn them not to talk to strangers... or Dick Cheney :)

Posted by: redbearded | May 13, 2009 6:53:36 PM

6. And Rush is losing!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 13, 2009 6:54:18 PM

7. Congratulations! All the best to Wanda and her family.

@ BEN: if you're running Safari, try ClickToFlash, which stops Flash items from playing w/our your OK.

Posted by: David R. | May 13, 2009 7:07:57 PM

8. OMG

Please get a handle on your over usage of ads and NEVER EVER USE ads with sound.

It's getting absurd, really. And this is my daily visit, if not hourly visit site.

Posted by: James | May 13, 2009 7:10:56 PM

9. How wonderful (babies) and perfect (one of each)! Congratulations to Wanda and Alex!

I don't know if they used Wanda and/or Alex's eggs. But I imagine the babies with Wanda's gorgeous skin tone and wry smile.

Posted by: Amy C | May 13, 2009 7:19:59 PM

10. O.M.(F.S.M.)G. Three SCREAMING auto-play adds?! I couldn't even stay to read the content. Sorry, these things go or so do my eyes and clicks!

Posted by: Christopher Inverarity | May 13, 2009 7:26:51 PM

11. I had to click that damn add five times to get it to stop.
    I will stop coming here if you keep them up.

Posted by: Puddy Katz | May 13, 2009 7:33:32 PM

12. I just want to reinforce the comments about the unbelievably IRRITATING audio ads. We (and I'm speaking of your loyal readers) shouldn't have to go searching around the page for mute buttons, or be forced to turn audio off and on locally for every webpage.

Posted by: tominsf | May 13, 2009 7:39:57 PM

13. Wanda and her partner did not 'have' twins because two women cannot make a baby. And her parter Alex is not her 'wife' because wife is the opposite of husband (not lesbian partner). We need our own institutions and terms that reflect who we are. Equality and homogeneity are not mutually exclusive. The relationship between man and wife is profoundly different than it is between two lesbians or two gay men. Saying so does not make it so.

Posted by: Paul | May 13, 2009 7:47:10 PM

14. Sorry about the ads with sound guys. We DID NOT approve them. They were placed by one of our ad networks and we are working to get them removed ASAP.

Posted by: andy | May 13, 2009 7:47:20 PM

15. Paul,

"Saying so does not make it so."

We can apply that logic to your thoughts then, I suppose?

Posted by: BD1421 | May 13, 2009 7:59:26 PM

16. "We need our own institutions and terms"

Paul,

I'm not sure we need our "own" terms for things that aren't very different. It seems quite sensible to me that the woman to whom Wanda is married is referred to as her "wife." Likewise, I think Wanda's wife can sensibly be said to "have twins" since that is what she did. Finally, if a man and wife can be said to "have a baby" even when the woman has used a sperm donor (and such couples are spoken of that way) then so can Wanda.

"Wanda Sykes is married to her wife and they just had kids." - the words in that sentence seem pretty faithful to reality to me...

Posted by: Kipp | May 13, 2009 8:11:27 PM

17. BD421: I didn't just say so, I added an argument, however brief, to support my assertion.

KIPP: I happen to think that IT IS all that different. I don't see why that is a negative thing to say. Nothing wrong with being different.

As for the word 'wife'...I can only think of one other time I heard a lesbian refer to her wife: The Mellisa Etheridge acceptance speech (and this website put the word 'wife' in quotes when it posted about it). It's a new thing to use the term 'wife' and it feels forced to me. I see no reason why the language shouldn't be more specific.

Posted by: Paul | May 13, 2009 8:37:11 PM

18. Paul, "wife" is not the "opposite" of husband; it is the word for a spouse who is female.
    And a relationship is not "profoundly different" because of the sex of the two partners. For example, my relationship with my spouse of the same sex is surely more like certain opposite-sex partners' relationships than like some other relationships of same-sex partners. Our gender is just one of thousands of characteristics we possess as individuals, and the words that exist in the English language suffice as much for us as for any couple.
    Wanda Sykes' special someone can be described as her wife, spouse or partner, just as Laura Bush can be described as George W's wife or spouse or partner. What annoys me is those media that alter the wording to 'dumb it down" when mentioning gay people and their relationships, or use insulting quotation marks as if gay people are pretending. (ex. Ellen's so-called "relationship" with her "wife" Portia was "celebrated" in a "wedding" in California.) That's the way WingNut Daily and other right wing nut jobs treat us, rather than just reporting on us as if we share the planet Earth with everyone else.

Posted by: GregV | May 13, 2009 8:50:02 PM

19. Gregg,

I have never seen Ellen's relationship to Portia DeRossi put in quotation marks. I am not following their relationship so maybe I missed it. As for wife and wedding, if they had their wedding after Prop. 8 than it was indeed a 'wedding' and Portia is indeed a 'wife'. I have never heard W. refer to his 'partner Laura'.

Also I don't know how you and your partner are. But I do know that most of my friends, and myself, tend to move in a serial monogamy pattern as opposed to lifelong love. I'm 26, so who knows, but statistics bear out this impression. Marriage has been legal in Amsterdam, Toronto, and Massachusettes long enough for a trend to emerge: Gay people pair up at an INVERSE rate as compared with straight couples. The 'rush' to get married that you read about on Towleroad quickly becomes a trickle. That's not for nothing, we are different.

I agree that it is better for us POLITICALLY to apply these terms to gay couples, but I don't think it does justice to the reality of human nature.

Posted by: Paul | May 13, 2009 9:07:23 PM

20. Paul,

You're 26... Enough said.

Posted by: BD1421 | May 13, 2009 9:36:03 PM

21. BD1421, Thanks for the substantive reply.

Posted by: Paul | May 13, 2009 9:43:38 PM

22. Paul: FUCK YOU!

Posted by: Hank | May 13, 2009 10:02:44 PM

23. Paul,

"Substantive?" Not a word, dear.

Posted by: BD1421 | May 13, 2009 10:03:43 PM

24. congrats wanda! You win. rush is a looser!

Posted by: doro | May 13, 2009 10:13:24 PM

25. and thanks for finally coming out! I was so proud of you when you came out right in the middle of prop 8 saga.

Posted by: doro | May 13, 2009 10:14:27 PM