Amsterdam | Film | News | Sacha Baron-Cohen

Bruno Jet Skis, Opens 'Pink Light District' in Amsterdam

Brunoamsterdam

Sacha Baron Cohen continued his European tour for Bruno, premiering in Amsterdam today. Bruno jetskied down a canal before climbing into the city's Red Light District to announce he was opening the "Pink Light District" for business.

Said Bruno, cutting a pink ribbon: "It gives me great pleasure to declare Amsterdam's pink light district officially open for business. For too long, guys coming here from around the world have been forced to have sex with women. People of Amsterdam, I hope that you will enjoy these man holes..."

Soon after he left, Reuters reports, "The real prostitutes, who had hidden from the flashing cameras, reopened their curtains to wait for their next clients in their red-lit windows."

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Brunoamsterdam2

Comments

1. Is SBC/Bruno paying for all this advertising? I can't wait for this movie to be released and in the rear view mirror.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 19, 2009 1:42:04 PM

2. gotta luv the dig he takes at geert wilders!

Posted by: alguien | Jun 19, 2009 1:49:32 PM

3. ^^ What Mike said. Slow news day, Andy?

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jun 19, 2009 2:05:32 PM

4. I don't know but I just don't get the uber gay promotion he's doing. I know it's supposed to be funny, but is it really reading that way? To me he just seems to be acting like a big fag and that in and of itself isn't really funny. It's just really REALLY gay.

Posted by: JR | Jun 19, 2009 2:08:20 PM

5. Oh come on. This country-by-country coverage for Bruno here really is getting to be much. If I didn't think before that this is being paid for, I'm leaning that way now.

What's next,up-to-the-minute reports on his every little footstep?

Posted by: northerner | Jun 19, 2009 2:08:25 PM

6. I love these posts. It's like Where in the World is Matt Lauer? If Matt Lauer was gay and into costume.

Can't wait to see where Bruno turns up next.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 19, 2009 2:23:25 PM

7. Would these people show up if he was an actual effeminate gay man?

Gay men need your help! Vote for AnthonyCallea, timcampbelltwit AND zathynpriest for Mr Twitter Australia. You can vote for multiple people every 20 minutes.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 19, 2009 2:23:36 PM

8. "Would these people show up if he was an actual effeminate gay man?"

Funny, BILL, he seemed to loose his effeminacy in that particular clip. A good actor shouldn't loose the character, but maybe when you're playing it too much...well, you get exhausted. I guess that's why some Hollywood actors never stand a chance on Broadway---not more than a few mont....weeks.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 19, 2009 2:38:05 PM

9. Amazing amazing. I love reading about each new stop on this tour. I wish he'd do some in America.

Posted by: ben | Jun 19, 2009 2:40:06 PM

10. I like these post because the Bruno outfits just keep getting better and better. How can you not enjoy fashion satire? I would love to be designing his costumes.

His clothing has been parodying the whole Eurotrash/International Male aesthetic. That half suit is genius. I'm pretty sure I saw a straight man wear that in Berlin in 1997.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 19, 2009 2:44:16 PM

11. I think he said "Man WHORES" lol but either works for me. :)

Posted by: Jim in MN | Jun 19, 2009 2:46:04 PM

12. To recognize the genius of Sasha's overall performance, just picture this role if it were being done by Will Farrell or Adam Sandler -- both have done similar characters, a lot less effectively, and a lot more offensively in my opinion.

I think some gay men are offended because he's hitting quite close to the bone in terms of stereotype. But it's only 'offensive' when you assume the audience doesn't recognize it for what it is.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 19, 2009 2:51:09 PM

13. Andy, really? Do we really have to follow every stunt move Bruno makes? It's getting ridiculous. I hope you're at least making a lot of money off of this.

Posted by: ColinATL | Jun 19, 2009 2:52:05 PM

14. I see the daily sour pusses have shown up.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Jun 19, 2009 2:54:08 PM

15. i think this is most likely advertising masquerading as content, and if so, good for andy - it's pretty seamless. and the boy's gotta make a buck.

i don't get all the bitching - if you don't wanna read it, don't click.

Posted by: b mac | Jun 19, 2009 2:58:44 PM

16. bruno = the new lady gaga of towleroad; equally lame, equally advertising?

Posted by: realtalk | Jun 19, 2009 3:07:18 PM

17. B MAC: "...if you don't wanna read it, don't click."

And that's precisely the decision I'm making. Gunna take a vacation from Towleroad until all this shilling for a movie lets up.

Posted by: northerner | Jun 19, 2009 3:15:39 PM

18. PLEASE stop covering this A-Hole. I find his humor offensive and demeaning. Let this be TMZ's domain, please.

Posted by: mIKEM | Jun 19, 2009 3:16:55 PM

19. Jesus Christ on a banana stick people, are you really that upset that Towleroad is covering every stop of Bruno's crazy tour? I for one dig the mass of near naked bodies that Bruno throws at us, and to see his outrageous and over the top outfits. It gets away from the sometimes bland political news. And yes, I think people hate Sacha Baron Cohen because he IS cutting it close to what some of our brethen actually act and dress like, besides the social reaction to it.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 19, 2009 3:26:53 PM

20. Robert: and some of us just think he's an overexposed, over-rated bore. Everyone's entitled to hold an opinion. And need not be bashed for it, as some here are doing (not you).

Posted by: northerner | Jun 19, 2009 3:33:45 PM

21. Yeah, he said "man whores" not "man holes". Have you never heard an Austrian (or German) accent?

Posted by: Mark | Jun 19, 2009 3:43:00 PM

22. Yeah, it does seem like it is advertising now. I love these posts but they aren't really as important as even some of the stuff that get's thrown in the round-up posts.

Bruno is awesome though, not too long to go before I can see it here in Ireland!

Posted by: DaveDesslok | Jun 19, 2009 3:56:39 PM

23. Whats funny is that Mr. Cohen, a straight jewish man has more of an eye for non-white/white-looking latino models than do the gay/bi community in the United States. Thats what I'm struck by.

Posted by: BlackSkin | Jun 19, 2009 4:14:31 PM

24. Please stop giving attention to this crap.

It's kind of funny in a very blatant way, but the negative image is definitely not worth promoting it.

Posted by: DONOVAN | Jun 19, 2009 4:27:56 PM

25. "the negative image is definitely not worth promoting it."

The negative image? Being gay is negative? At least now we're getting honest.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 19, 2009 4:54:10 PM