Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | News

NYT Slams 'Disturbing' Department of Justice DOMA Brief

In an editorial published today, the New York Times attacks the Obama administration over the recent Department of Justice brief defending DOMA, saying that the administration not only hasn't done much for LGBT people, but with this it "struck a blow for the other side."

Barack "The brief insists it is reasonable for states to favor heterosexual marriages because they are the “traditional and universally recognized form of marriage.” In arguing that other states do not have to recognize same-sex marriages under the Constitution’s 'full faith and credit' clause, the Justice Department cites decades-old cases ruling that states do not have to recognize marriages between cousins or an uncle and a niece...

"...The best approach of all would have been to make clear, even as it defends the law in court, that it is fighting for gay rights. It should work to repeal 'don’t ask, don’t tell,' the law that bans gay men and lesbians in the military from being open about their sexuality. It should push hard for a federal law banning employment discrimination. It should also work to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act in Congress.

"The administration has had its hands full with the financial crisis, health care, Guantánamo Bay and other pressing matters. In times like these, issues like repealing the marriage act can seem like a distraction — or a political liability. But busy calendars and political expediency are no excuse for making one group of Americans wait any longer for equal rights."

A Bad Call for Gay Rights [nyt]

Comments

1. Obama needs to do the right thing. Even the New York Times has noticed his administrations criminally inept handling of GLTB issues. Inept when they're not outright ignoring us.

Not only is this exasperating, it's criminally stupid. Here's one of the most ardent, activist parts of his base and he's treating us as though he's Clinton in 1993.

Posted by: fastlad | Jun 16, 2009 9:26:55 AM

2. This is the first time the main-stream media has covered this issue. It's central to us but has been virtually ignored by the press.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 16, 2009 9:41:55 AM

3. I find it interesting that Towelroad, "a website with homosexual tendencies" would feature an ad from the Palazzo Hotel in Las Vegas. The Palazzo is owned by Sheldon Adelson, a former billionaire, who is a staunch supporter of the Republican Party, and rumored to have been some of the MAJOR MONEY behind the "Yes on 8" proposition in California. Gay folks should not stay at the Palazzo or the Venitian when visiting Las Vegas.

Posted by: RichardN | Jun 16, 2009 10:00:21 AM

4. Nice work. I will be interested to see what the reaction from the White House will be. I think there's been far too much mainstream criticism for how Obama has treated us for there to be any more silence on the subject, but I've said that before and... well...

I recall how saddened I was by Bill Clinton and his betrayal(s). This seems to me to be a familiar road.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 16, 2009 10:07:45 AM

5. I was at the March On Washington in 93, and despite it being one of the most memorable events in my political life, I STILL haven't forgiven Clinton for his betrayal: his "cure" was worse than the disease! Now Obama is going down the same path -- Obama and his Dem defenders best remember Martin Luther King's advice [paraphrasing]: When they say "be patient, wait a while" they mean "never, it ain't gonna happen". Equal rights now.

Posted by: Strepsi | Jun 16, 2009 10:46:48 AM

6. Fastlad : Are you even a citizen of the U.S. ?

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 10:52:19 AM

7. @ JT
    That question sounds like preamble to some Fox News-grade xenophobic horseshit. The guy doesn't have to be a U.S. citizen to state an opinion.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 16, 2009 11:24:22 AM

8. Mikemick : You should always know before you speak. Your fantasy for why I asked the Fastrat the question is just your own fantasy.

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 11:31:04 AM

9. @JT
    Please take your contextually challenged questions/comments to a more appropriate forum--such as WorldNetDaily.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 16, 2009 11:49:31 AM

10. Mark : No.

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 11:55:10 AM

11. Then why don't you say why you asked, hot rocks? Embarrassed by the answer, or just didn't have enough time to make one up? Everyone knows you're just here to agitate. That's why it's so much fun to yank your chain. Mark is right -- WorldNetDaily is right up your alley.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 16, 2009 12:17:14 PM

12. First, I am a citizen of the United States. Just wanted to clear that up right away, in case it gets asked by idiots.

Second, face it guys, we got played. By a master politician. The man-who-would-be-President promised us much when he needed our money and our support. And now...

It's one thing to do nothing, to sit quietly on the sidelines and remain a passive fool, it is another entirely to have the DOJ write such a trashy, insulting, legal brief chock full of 19th century support to support the second-class citizenry of a group of U.S. citizens. It's even more insulting because 60 years ago, Mr. Obama would be sitting in the back of the bus.

He's proving to be, quite frankly, a pussy. My children are African-American, and on the day he was elected, I marched them out in front of the TV and said, "No excuses. You can become anything you want to be." Now I just hope they don't become liars like Mr. Obama is proving to be.

Posted by: Bart | Jun 16, 2009 12:33:11 PM

13. Yeah, Mikemick ? So you think it's okay to come on here and say you're voting for Obama, then complain on another site that you're not a citizen and can't vote? Then post nothing on your own blog except about what horrible evil wusses Americans are? Uhhh....then why does he want to become a citizen? And don't even get me started on his heterophobic anti-Irish bullshit (when he and the belledame tranny were thinking up tortures for the Duke lacrosse guys......and making the rotteness even dorkier with their "Maude bless 'ems!" ). But....I guess you think all that's okay? You're from Massachusetts, right? Must have really changed up there.

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 12:49:00 PM

14. Bart : Whether or not Obama turns out to be a liar (like most politicians) doesn't negate the good things about having an AA President ("geting it out of the way" in a sense). The lesson of no-more-obstacles is still there.

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 12:58:40 PM

15. Mikemick : Let me ask you another question. Do you think it's okay to move to the U.S. from another country and want to implement Sharia Law? Or do you consider it different when it's a foreigner who wants to hurt homosexual citizens?

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 1:09:12 PM

16. @ JT
    Let me guess, the automatic refill on your Klonopin ran out? Oh and Anne Coulter just called, he/she is suing you for plagiarism for channeling one of her rants without paying a royalty.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 16, 2009 1:39:20 PM

17. @JT - no more obstacles for one group, perhaps. They're certainly still there for candidates who happen to be female, Jewish, Muslim, Mormon, transgender, handicapped, and certainly gay.

Posted by: paul c | Jun 16, 2009 1:42:40 PM

18. Whatever, Mikemick. You just assumed I was coming from a xenophobic position when there was a much bigger situation going on with my question and......were wrong. No biggie.

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 1:50:00 PM

19. Paul C. : I guess that's true too. As silly as it seems, maybe you really do need a different "breakthrough" person representing each separate group.

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 2:02:00 PM

20. I'm not here to get into a pissing contest, but I disagree with you JT, I think it's worse to have a man who should know better, has said he knows better, and seems to get it, proving to be a liar (I agree with you - like most politicians...) or worse a cunning liar. The fact he is black makes it more apparent because we expect the "good ole boy white guys" to be dim and backwards. Having THIS man - a man of color who seemed to get it and said he wanted to do something about it and then we get this antiquated, prejudice, hate-baiting DOJ brief on DOMA come out of this administration is more tragic. We accepted this man at his word. We prayed for something different than the last eight years. He had the momentum. And...? A kick in the balls is what we got. Sorry, coming from this man, who is African American, it is more painful. I don't want him to be a liar or a man who goes back on his word...for lots of reasons. One is because he is the first African-American president, someone I voted for and was proud to see elected to that office.

Posted by: Bart | Jun 16, 2009 2:04:21 PM

21. Bart : I don't "feel" you, because I didn't expect much (when I voted for him) but I understand how you feel about it personally.

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2009 2:10:15 PM

22. Yeah JT, wow, how could I have gotten xenophobia out of what you wrote when I had all that psychosis to wade through. I must have had an agenda. Mea culpa.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 16, 2009 2:32:57 PM

23. I was shocked to hear what the Obama Justice Department put in their brief in defense of DOMA. It is so offensive to compare gays who want to have the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else to marry and an uncle wanting to marry his niece. This is disgusting. My partner of 23 years and I were married in California last year, and this has made us heartsick. Shame on you, President Obama. We campaigned for you and wholeheartedly supported you. We believed you when you told us you are a "fierce advocate of the LGBT community". Between this brief and the fact that gays in the miliary are still being thrown out merely for being gay, you have shown no support for us.

Posted by: Theda | Jun 16, 2009 3:37:05 PM

24. And, as usual, Fastlad hides from the subject raised. He doesn't deserve to be a U.S. citizen. Those who come to the U.S. and want Sharia Law don't deserve to be citizens, those who come from other countries and preach the bashing of gays don't deserve it, those who move to the U.S. to plot a 9-11 don't deserve it, and those who move here and try to hurt the innocent (even innocent white heterosexual males) don't deserve it.

Posted by: JT | Jun 18, 2009 12:57:38 AM