Film | Madrid | News | Sacha Baron-Cohen

Sacha Baron Cohen's 'Bruno' Grabs the Bull by the...

Brunobull

Following Lederhosen in Paris, and a Queen's Guard uniform in London, Sacha Baron Cohen showed up to the Madrid premiere of Bruno in this bull outfit, with its anatomy on full display.

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's a bit more from The Guardian's review of the film I linked to earlier:

"As you'd expect, Brüno charges, or rather minces, into some of the least advisable situations imaginable - attempting to seduce a confused Republican congressman Ron Paul, telling a gayness-curing evangelist he has "blowjob lips", parading through an ultra-orthodox area of Jerusalem in Hasidic-inspired hotpants (if there's one thing Brüno does that Borat can't, it's costume).

"And again, he lures the unsuspecting into shameful acts - getting Latoya Jackson to eat sushi off a naked Mexican gardener, for example, or gaining showbiz moms' consent to dress their children as Nazis.

"Beneath the idiocy, Baron Cohen is also a politically astute agent who's devised an ingenious way to confront and expose serious social issues - and indulge his own exhibitionism.

"Brüno is funniest, though, when it's at its most politically incorrect, especially when it comes to homosexuality. There's an eye-popping montage of extreme gay sex practices (imaginary, one hopes), a surfeit of waving penises, dildos, fetish gear, anal bleaching, and an excruciating mime in which Brüno fellates the ghost of a deceased member of Milli Vanilli in front of a psychic."

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He's promoting the hell out of this movie. Good for him.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jun 18, 2009 7:41:58 PM

2. Wow, that movie sounds almost as fun as a root canal.

Posted by: Aaron | Jun 18, 2009 8:04:20 PM

3. SOOO over this shtick!

Posted by: buster | Jun 18, 2009 8:07:51 PM

4. Yeah, Brian, he is promoting the hell out of that movie. And Towleroad is assisting EVERY step of the way. How come?

Posted by: Boogiedown | Jun 18, 2009 8:44:05 PM

5. Why does he have to be 'in character' to promote this movie?

he looks and is acting like a total idiot. it's very embarassing. what if people start using the name 'bruno' and equating that with gay men like 'brokeback mountain' is equated with mainly gay men and their relationships?

Posted by: Jonathan | Jun 18, 2009 9:10:05 PM

6. I read that they had to re-shoot a couple of scenes because screening audiences found them distasteful. Apparently, having a scene with a baby in a hot tub while two men are having sex simply wasn't the knee-slapper that it should be. (People just don't know *art* or briliant *satire* when they see it! Fools!)

At first, I was a bit worried that "Bruno" would turn out to be some sort of commercial for gay-haters; now, it's looking like such an awful stinker of a movie that I just may *enjoy* watching this thing totally, massively and completely bomb at the box-office...!

It will be a most satisfying, gratifying (and very well-deserved) public humiliation for SBC and this horrrrible piece-of-trash flick...

Posted by: Terrance | Jun 18, 2009 9:38:43 PM

7. Ha Ha Ha, aren't effeminate men who act like they like other men but really don't, funny. Really!, are we still laughing at that?

I am so tired of the Dandy as a comedy character.

I am a Dandy for real, and some straight guy is running around pretending to be like me so everyone can laugh with out the guilt of admitting I make them feel uncomfortable.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 18, 2009 9:45:54 PM

8. gross

Posted by: Tex | Jun 18, 2009 10:08:14 PM

9. Can someone PLEASE just figure out a way to make this whole 'Bruno" hype stop....please?

Posted by: Double N | Jun 18, 2009 10:14:59 PM

10. Hilarious to see all these comments from sticks in the mud who obviously have some internalized homophobia issues to deal with. I, for one, am looking forward to this film and can't wait for the reaction of the social conservatives! Alas, the LGBT community evidently has plenty of grouses anxious to enable the reactionary right.

Posted by: Corey Dargel | Jun 18, 2009 10:40:23 PM

11. I'll probably enjoy this movie.

Posted by: rod | Jun 18, 2009 10:40:39 PM

12. Corey Dargel, "doesn't agree with your taste in movies" does not equal "homophobic sticks in the mud".

Posted by: Blurgle | Jun 18, 2009 10:48:20 PM

13. Wow! He has wishful thinking.

Posted by: Garst | Jun 18, 2009 11:12:39 PM

14. Blurgle, totally fine if we don't have the same taste in movies, but these comments in particular are NOT *really* about taste in movies, are they?:

I was a bit worried that "Bruno" would turn out to be some sort of commercial for gay-haters; now, it's looking like such an awful stinker of a movie that I just may *enjoy* watching this thing totally, massively and completely bomb at the box-office...! ...Although, I *would* also enjoy hearing that SBC suffered an unfortunate, violent, agonizing, VICIOUS gay-bashing (something involving bricks and bottles, please!) while in character, while promoting his little stink-bomb of a movie.

Posted by: Corey Dargel | Jun 18, 2009 11:14:32 PM

15. I don't care what anyone says, the bull costume is hilarious.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 18, 2009 11:16:39 PM

16. I say have at it Sasha, and the costumes are fucking brilliant! Keep on shocking everyone!

Posted by: Rob | Jun 18, 2009 11:21:16 PM

17. I'm not self-loathing by any means. I'm just over Sasha Baron Cohen. Completely.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 18, 2009 11:56:49 PM

18. You guys need to chiiiiiillllllll. Be comfortable with who are and that will speak for yourself. Not Bruno. Sacha Cohen can be hilarious to anyone, straight or gay.

Please, let's not be dramatic and pretend like one man is gonna loose some battle between "us vs them" for us. If that was the case then our battle would've been lost a long long time ago. It's ok to laugh and make people feel uncomfortable. Ourselves included.

Posted by: ben | Jun 18, 2009 11:59:08 PM

19. DAMN that bull is packin' ! Look for more bull and man videos on XTube! (btw, how the hell did he get into that thing?)

Come on, admit it, when you first saw the photo did you not take a second glance and wonder "...Adam Lambert"?

Bruno, Borat, Ali G - (doesn't matter which) the point/significance/object of the show isn't who or how he's playing a character. You see, he's not the joke or the comedy, the jokes on us. It's all about how the different parts of humanity react--that's the real show. It's third person art. So, now we have a choice b/c he is not the actor on the stage, we are.

Posted by: jon | Jun 19, 2009 3:11:15 AM

20. Funny how some of the reactions here are not dissimilar to what you hear at the anti-Letterman protests.

Posted by: xo | Jun 19, 2009 3:31:08 AM

21. I know I will laugh at some of this film and it will be the laughter of recognition...

Posted by: Nonplussed | Jun 19, 2009 7:26:25 AM

22. Altho SBC hopes to be a movie date... at best he's only a rental.

Posted by: NSFW | Jun 19, 2009 7:37:32 AM

23. Can't wait to see this movie. He set the bar high with Borat but from what I've seen so far Bruno will have me rollin' too.

And I love the bull outfit lol.

Posted by: Daws | Jun 19, 2009 7:52:00 AM

24. Lighten up People.

Terrance: "Although, I *would* also enjoy hearing that SBC suffered an unfortunate, violent, agonizing, VICIOUS gay-bashing (something involving bricks and bottles, please!) while in character, while promoting his little stink-bomb of a movie".

C'mon now Terrance. You want bricks and bottles thrown at him for pretending to be dandy? Now that is just wrong on so many levels.

Posted by: Sasha | Jun 19, 2009 8:23:06 AM

25. I can't wait to see the costume that Brüno will be wearing when he appears at the american premiere next week in Hollywood. Any guesses?

Posted by: excy | Jun 19, 2009 8:31:38 AM