Carol Channing | Johnny Depp | News

Will Johnny Depp Actually Get to Play Carol Channing?

Deppchanning

In Mid-July, Johnny Depp mentioned to the UK Mirror that his dream role would be to play Carol Channing. Said Depp: "My dream role would be to play musical legend Carol Channing in a biopic of her life. I love her, I really do, she's amazing."

Channing says she'd love it, telling Broadway World: "It is not a new concept to me. Not at all. Men have been imitating me for as long as I can remember. In fact, most of the impersonations I have seen have had a five o'clock shadow. I imagine, when or if Johnny should portray me, he will succeed. Because a true artist, such as himself, is one who loves his or her creation and therefore represents their honest view of that which they are creating. I think he is a gifted performer and I would be very proud, as well as interested in seeing what his vision of me would be. Johnny is someone I would very much like to help me and my foundation (ChanningARTS.org) to bring the Arts back into the the public school system in America."

Comments

1. Sounds like a done deal once someone churns out a script. Honestly, who wouldn't go to the theater to check that out?

Posted by: Aaron | Jul 24, 2009 12:28:39 PM

2. Okay. Seriously. Slow news day? It was a JOKE!

Posted by: Christian Canterbury | Jul 24, 2009 12:55:16 PM

3. He might get the chance if he can get Tim Burton's mouth off his dick for ten minutes.

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Jul 24, 2009 1:00:09 PM

4. this seems to be fluff dreamed up by two publicists -- doesn't it?

Do not hold yr breath -- this means you Carol!

Posted by: David B. 2 | Jul 24, 2009 5:53:40 PM

5. Carol Channing seems to have an incredibly cool attitude about this, and that's at least one thing she and Depp have in common. He should totally do this. Talk about bold...I can't imagine any mainstream Hollywood actor touching a role like this.

Posted by: paul c | Jul 24, 2009 8:04:45 PM

6. somehow, this idea has the aroma of a "mommie dearest"....and boy, do we ever need a new MD!

Posted by: normadesmond | Jul 24, 2009 9:54:24 PM

7. Actually, not a joke. Depp has said for years that he has been fascinated by Carol Channing and even used her as one of his inspirations when creating his character for CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. Plus, he was set to be at Carol's show this past Spring at the Magic Castle in LA, but due to bad weather, his flight from Paris was delayed and then his flight from NYC to LA was further delayed, so he missed the show.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 25, 2009 1:44:41 AM

8. Johnny Depp as Freddie Mercury - Now that's casting!!

Posted by: lilith | Jul 21, 2010 8:35:00 PM