Dave Salmoni | News

Dave Salmoni: 'My Gay Fans are the Most Appreciative'

Salmoni

Animal Planet host Dave Salmoni, whose "showering with lions" video was posted on this site last week, talks with Brandon Voss in The Advocate about homosexual animal behavior, gay pride, his beard, his looks, and his gay fans:

You’ve posed for your share of beefcake photos in the last few years. How do you feel about so much attention being placed on your looks?
I was very bashful about it when it started because I definitely grew up in the background; I was never the good-looking guy in the group. When people talked about it at first, I didn’t know how to respond to it. Now, if people are going to talk about me in that way, I think it’s awesome and superflattering -- and hey, maybe I’ll get a date out of it.

I actually first discovered you when Towleroad.com posted your shower video earlier this week. How conscious are you of your gay fan base?
I’m really conscious of it, and I think it’s awesome. They’ve been a really vocal group over the years. I feel like my gay fans are the most appreciative. I get lots of e-mails from them, and they’re not shy. A young girl may say, “Hey, I really like you, you’re kinda cute,” whereas a gay guy will be like, “Hey, take your shirt off more and you’ll get better ratings.”

Comments

1. Without the beard, it took me a moment to recognize him.

Posted by: Hank | Aug 17, 2009 11:45:22 AM

2. Oh bullshit he didn't grow up "the good-looking guy." Show me an old, awkward picture then.

Because, uh, every single picture in a Google image search for him is unbelievably hot.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 17, 2009 11:56:29 AM

3. "and hey, maybe I’ll get a date out of it."

Maybe?! Definitely! Where do I call?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Aug 17, 2009 11:59:07 AM

4. I believe him - since he's pretty damn unattractive as far as I'm concerned - but he sounds modest, sensible, and open-minded, so good for him.

Posted by: Donovan | Aug 17, 2009 12:25:12 PM

5. I much prefer this look to his rugged look in the video. It's just my personal preference. I, too, call bullshit on the "I didn't grow up being good-looking"-comment. Maybe he wasn't self-aware enough and people were too stupid to notice his rampant hotness or he was fat and then lost a lot of weigh. I, too, demand old high school photos!

Posted by: Philip Wester | Aug 17, 2009 12:38:09 PM

6. Why does it seem like these TV animal people always make it about themselves and their personality... always overshadowing the subject (animals).

Posted by: steve | Aug 17, 2009 1:15:23 PM

7. The Advocate used you as a source! Woot! Towleroad is getting props!

Posted by: K | Aug 17, 2009 1:16:42 PM

8. We could be cuddlesluts. I mean cuddlebuddies.

Posted by: RP | Aug 17, 2009 2:45:05 PM

9. I TOTALLY believe that he was the "average" looking dude when he was young. For example, ever see a really ripped dude who is awful looking in the face? I think Dave had an average body and average boy-next-door face, but when he bulked up, his overall appearance did a 180 and people noticed the entire package. That entire, dreamy package, lol.

Posted by: Drew | Aug 18, 2009 8:45:34 PM

10. i'm glad he acknowledges his gay fan, when i first saw him in 'living with tiger' years back, i was like, hot damn! LOL

Posted by: razz | Aug 19, 2009 7:25:44 AM

11. DREW,
    I agree with your philosophy, lol.

Posted by: Jesse | Aug 19, 2009 5:19:39 PM

12. Dave is DELICIOUS, So HOT and seems loke a SUPER COOL Guy. I Love his show and could watch him 24/7

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 15, 2009 11:52:02 AM

13. I would take him anyway at all Rugged or clean shaven. He is GEORGIOUS and what a Body and That SMILE, M'mmmmm M'mmmmmmm GOOD

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 15, 2009 11:54:35 AM

14. he is so hot, I would eat his mothers hoo ha just because he crawled through it

Posted by: dan | Oct 15, 2011 10:01:51 AM

15. I never know what he's talking about, but I could never take my eyes off him.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Nov 22, 2012 3:19:06 AM

16. It always seems to be about him...not the animals...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Nov 22, 2012 5:08:52 PM

17. I know that I am going to rattle someone's cage, but so many of these hunks who are gay in real life, always pose as friends of the gay community! (NOT saying he 'is!') So, if he is gay, keep it to yourself and don't be a pposer, o.k.?

Posted by: pscheck2 | Dec 13, 2012 7:23:55 PM

18. you are very handsome

Posted by: Andrew Bugg | Feb 8, 2013 12:55:56 PM

19. @ALAN BRICKMAN Ive noticed that you keep making the same point repeatedly on the Dave Salmoni posts. Perhaps you are a little hung up on Dave but are bitter because you know you aint getttin none of that.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 1, 2013 1:08:16 PM