Gay Marriage | Maine | News

BigGayDeal.com

Maine Anti-Gay Marriage Organization Casting Actors to Play Bigots

Nom

Could this be the next "Gathering Storm" masterflop?

Kennebec Journal: "Casting Director James Stiles is putting out the word that he’s looking for two 'real Maine' women to appear in a television ad produced by supporters of traditional marriage. Stiles is looking for a 'teacher type' and a 'working waitress type,' both in the 35-45 age range. If you want to try out, he’s holding auditions from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday (Sept. 2) at the Howard Johnson in South Portland. If you’re hired, it’s a three day gig that pays $500 a day."

I'd almost forgotten about that much-spoofed moment of hatred hilarity. Revisit it,
AFTER THE JUMP...

(via americablog)

In related news, Good As You has some words about Stand for Marriage Maine's newly renovated website.

Comments

1. Wath this PRO marriage equality:

Posted by: Juan Carlos Cordovez | Aug 28, 2009 1:45:58 PM

2. Hey lookee here -- the Washington Post is against gay marriage!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 28, 2009 2:04:44 PM

3. Someone should go for it, then donate the fee to Marriage Equality.

Posted by: Randommer | Aug 28, 2009 2:49:05 PM

4. I think its interesting to see WHO applies....cause is say $1000 or $1500 worth your reputation & dignity?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 28, 2009 2:57:09 PM

5. @Disgusted American

I'm anxious too. The greater Portland area is relatively small, I don't think it's wise for any person to take this gig. These ads are going to receive national attention, whoever get these parts are going to regret their decision indubitably.

Whatever, haha.

Posted by: Washington | Aug 28, 2009 3:20:54 PM

6. As a member of AEA, AFTRA, SAG, I can empathize with the actors auditioning for this gig. I once turned down a very lucrative job as a regional voice for McDonald's--because I'm a vegetarian. (Why my agent didn't dump me is still a wonder.)

I learned from that experience, and 'Randommer' has the right idea: The spot will be shot regardless--just as McDonald's went with another baritone; if I were in Maine, I'd definitely go for it, and if cast, donate the fee to Marriage Equality, along with a note to the producers, thanking them for the support.

Posted by: Laurence Ballard | Aug 28, 2009 4:03:21 PM

7. I think it would be awesome if some "undercover" lesbian (or 2) got cast for this fluff piece, then "inconveniently" got entangled in some scandal involving making out with another woman in a very public gay bar.

Any lesbians in Maine willing to take this on?

Posted by: Austin | Aug 28, 2009 4:47:20 PM

8. i could see Brother Boy from Sordid Lives going for the waitress part. he could pass long enough...

Posted by: casey | Aug 28, 2009 8:22:50 PM

9. good luck finding a straight casting director. . .

Posted by: FrancoisTrueFaux | Aug 28, 2009 11:49:50 PM

10. I agree with Austin. Gays go undercover for this one and as soon as they start showing, go down to your local LGBT center and have a press conference.

And keep the damn money, you deserve it!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Aug 29, 2009 4:08:35 AM

11. I can share this with our actors. Please send us details as to where auditions are being held. You can log on to our site at:

Posted by: Dan | Aug 29, 2009 2:55:33 PM

12. It is important to always refer to marriage equality opponents as bigots.

Florida was lost with a 60% threshold because we were too nice.

Don't be nice, be honest. The word bigot should be used in every ad, by every talking head, and appear on every bumper sticker.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 31, 2009 6:08:25 PM