Tim Hortons Pulls Out of National Organization for Marriage Event

Canadian coffee and doughnut chain Tim Hortons has pulled out of a "traditional marriage" event organized by the National Organization for Marriage after blogger Providence Daily Dose took notice of the chain's participation over the weekend.

Timhortons Said Tim Hortons in a statement:

"Recently, Tim Hortons was approached in Rhode Island to provide free coffee and products for a local event, as we do thousands of times a year across Canada and the United States.

For 45 years, Tim Hortons and its store owners have practiced a philosophy of giving back to the communities in which we operate. As a company, our primary focus is on helping children and supporting fundraising events for non-profit organizations and registered charities.

For this reason, Tim Hortons has not sponsored those representing religious groups, political affiliates or lobby groups.

It has come to our attention that the Rhode Island event organizer and purpose of the event fall outside of our sponsorship guidelines. As such, Tim Hortons can not provide support at the event.

Tim Hortons and its store owners have always welcomed all families and communities to its restaurants and will continue to do so. We apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience this may have caused."

Comments

1. Craig says

Yet another company duped by these idiots. So how does giving coffee and donuts equate to “supports our whackjob ideas” on their website.

Sounds like someone just tried to be nice to a group they never heard of and the entire corporation got burned as a result.

These nuts poison everything they touch. No responsible company wants to jump in bed with them. Key word responsible.

Thanks Tim Horton for pulling out. I couldn’t imagine a good responsible Canadian company (with pretty good food!) siding with these freaks.

2. john says

The statement by Tim Hortons does not apologize for anything. They do not repudiate the event nor provide an affirmation for marriage equality. Their logo is still on the NOM website advertising the event.

3. Paul R says

I agree, Craig, but any corporation of this size has the resources to check out the background of any organization before providing donations. The name of NOM should have been a pretty big tipoff.

Can someone explain to me why so many people have trouble with the word “cannot”? It is not two words.

4. says

Guys, Give Tim Hortons Credit, they pulled out. A local Franchisee made the decision to provide coffee to an event. They may or may not have known what the event was. Once Corporate found out, they put a stop to it. They may not have known that NOM was going to list them as a “Sponsor”.

Blount Fine Foods needs to get our focus too. They have provided food for “in-kind” advertising. THeir policy is not to discriminate against any Not-for-Profit that asks. I have been given conflicting messages from them, first thagt they are not sponsoring the event then that they were going to continue to to donate. We need to keep the pressure on Blount.

5. JH says

@Paul R — While “cannot” is usually preferred, “can not” is acceptable when used as it is in their press release.

I’m glad Timmy’s pulled out their Timbits.

6. steve says

Just as i sent a note to their cust service that i was upset with them for supporting..i will send a follow up note saying how pleased i am with their withdrawal. :)

7. George K. says

Good for them. Boycott is off.

Sounds like NOM punk’d Tim Hortons.

Reminds me of Scientologists’ use of front groups to trick others into inadvertently endorsing or legitimatizing Scientology.

8. says

I just Received this from Larry Marchese on Behalf of Blount Fine Foods:

The following should be attributed to Blount Fine Foods of Fall River, Massachusetts.

“Corporate philanthropy and good citizenship has been part of Blount’s mission since inception. In keeping with that, we have a long track record of donating Blount-brand chowder and other products to a wide variety of non-profits in our home area that request it for events. These donations of soup are just simple gestures of goodwill and were certainly not intended to be interpreted otherwise. It’s very concerning to us that anyone would think otherwise and as a result, we will review our policy going forward.”

I would still like to see them pull out like Tim Hortons did: Here is my Reply to Larry:

Larry,

Thank you. Also keep in mind that the Blount Logo is being listed prominently as a sponsor on NOM-RI marketing material. The implication is plain that Blount is a supporter of NOM’s campaign against LGBTQ rights. If you read Towleroad you will see that I have tried to forward the message that you gave me verbally, even while encouraging the community to keep the pressure on you to offer no participation at all in the NOM event. I do not know whether NOM told you how your generosity was being used, but given the MILLIONS of dollars that this organization gets from the Mormon church and from organizations like the AFA and other organizations of that ilk, it seems that they could buy their own soup. Especially when they are selling it for $10 a plate to support their campaigns.

I find it entirely believable that Blount Fine Foods generosity is being abused here. I hope that is the case. I have attached the links we discussed to the Tim Horton press release. I am also including a Link to the NOM-RI advertisement.

Also, here is a link to the Californians Against Hate site that details a lot of the issue with the funding for NOM and their complete disregard for their obligations under the law to disclose their funding.

Sincerely,
    Robert Rhea

9. Paul R says

@JH, It’s really only correct as two words when it forms part of another construction (“…can not only…”). That’s not the case here.

But yes, both are technically acceptable. Sorry, I’m being a dork about a pet peeve that trips me up.

10. says

OMG that was fast. I just saw this story this morning and they’ve already taken action. I’m sure they will need to have a little time to get there ad off of the website for NOM.
    It isn’t any surprise if Tim Horton’s didn’t know what NOM is. The organization is called “National Organization FOR Marriage”. It sounds like a very positive cause.

11. Clarknt67 says

Re:Blount foods:”THeir policy is not to discriminate against any Not-for-Profit that asks”

I’m sorry I call BS on that. They provide free food to EVERY SINGLE non-profit that asks? Really? How convenient for us to know that. Many of us are affiliated with non-profits. They’ll be getting my request for my charity’s annual dinner gala soon.

12. Andrew says

@CLARKKNT67

It really depends on the manager of each franchise. I’ve had some very good experiences with some local Timmy’s for getting free coffee and timbits for my events. You usually say “Hi, I’m here from X Community Organization, we’re having X event.” The response? “Here’s some coffee! Have fun!”

13. David says

I was just notified by email as well that Blount has pulled their support from the event as well.
    I had written letters to Tim Horton, Panera, and LegalSeafood yesterday and it just goes to show that if we do mobilize as a community, we can make a difference. We need to do it more often!