George Clooney | News | Venice

George Clooney Gets Gay, Shirtless Proposal at Venice Film Festival

Venice

UPDATED: WITH VIDEO

At a press conference at the Venice Film Festival for his new film, The Men Who Stare at Goats, George Clooney was reportedly hit on by a man stationed among reporters.

Clooney  Reuters reports: "Today’s press conference involving George Clooney and Ewan McGregor, who star together in the comedy 'The Men Who Stare at Goats' was more embarrassing than usual, however. After tactfully avoiding a question about his sexuality, Clooney then looked on while a man, announcing he was gay, proceeded to take of his shirt and trousers while declaring his love for the actor and asking him for a kiss. To make matters worse, he had not even seen the film. Clooney’s response? 'There’s a little ambulance on its way.'"

Another account: "The man, wearing only a black tie around his neck, asked Clooney whether he and Ewan McGregor, his co-star in the film The Men Who Stare at Goats, had intentionally played 'queer' roles. He then shouted: 'Because I'm gay George. I want you George! Come with me George!' amid laughter and boos from other conference participants. Clooney smiled wrily, and remarked how some people take a 'big chance' only that 'it doesn't really work.' Then addressing the man he added: 'But that's a very good tie.' Earlier at the news conference, which had been billed as open only to accredited media and film industry personnel, Clooney drew admiring comments from several female participants."

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh yeah, I don't buy the crazy guy story, and don't think he's gonna make a career out of it. That's the problem with being so famous, there are people around wondering how to take a little piece of that fame with them. That's why they have to be super extra cautious on whom they date or have sex with or they can end up being accused of rape etc. .

Posted by: Lexxvs | Sep 8, 2009 11:13:12 AM

2. I like Clooney a lot. As a classic movie buff, I feel he and Brad Pitt are two of the only stars that could hold their own against the screen idols of the past.

Anybody I'm missing? Thoughts?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 8, 2009 12:37:32 PM

3. Ah, to be in Venice with George—talk about Mambo Italiano!

I agree with you DEREK WASHINGTON. Would you include MacGregor and Jude Law?

Posted by: David R. | Sep 8, 2009 2:48:17 PM

4. Derek, you're missing a lot. But I'll only give you one name: Jeffrey Wright. He beats George, Brad and all your screen idols of the past to a bloody pulp. He'll never be a big star and that is fine. This Hollywood-imposed star system is gross and needs to go.

Posted by: Autechre | Sep 8, 2009 5:36:19 PM

5. Hmm , I do think Ewan was great in Moulin Rouge, but, haven't seen much else. Jude Law I would date, but, I put him more in the Van Heflin category, very attractive, can act, but, won't ever be a legend. I have to pay some attention to Jeffrey, don't really know his work. Maybe I should turn off TCM ever so often and stop swooning over Errol Flynn and Laurence Olivier!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 8, 2009 10:43:56 PM

6. Then I imagine you know the story that Danny Kaye posed as an immigration agent at the airport and strip-searched Sir Laurence as a prank?

Posted by: David R. | Sep 8, 2009 11:27:36 PM

7. The half naked journalist is from famously outrageous TV show "Le Iene". This skit was very low-brow to me, I guess just to get some press attention.

Posted by: May | Sep 9, 2009 8:58:52 AM

8. How could you leave out Daniel Day Lewis? Sorry, Pitt, Clooney and the like have pitiful skills compared to Day Lewis. They're not even in the same ballpark. That being said, they are good American Hollywood style actors with admirable politics but they're not great artists.

Posted by: ED2 | Sep 14, 2009 5:19:47 PM

9. I think the "journalist" is very cute, way more my type than George Clooney even. But George is a great actor!

Posted by: Matt R | Oct 17, 2012 5:52:41 PM