Film | Liberace | Matt Damon | Michael Douglas | News

Michael Douglas and Matt Damon to Play Lovers in Liberace Biopic

Liberace

A year ago I posted about plans for a Liberace biopic directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Michael Douglas as the ivory-tickler. Now, there are rumblings that Matt Damon has been cast as Liberace's lover Scott Thorson.

SunMedia reports: Damon "Douglas confirms the duo will team for a Liberace biopic helmed by Steven Soderbergh, who co-produced Douglas’s latest, Solitary Man, and directed Damon in Friday’s whistleblower comedy The Informant! Douglas will portray the flamboyant piano-playing entertainer while Damon will play Scott Thorson, who sued Liberace for palimony even though the superstar insisted he wasn’t gay.  'Matt’s going to be my young lover,' Douglas tells Sun Media. 'Why not? God bless Matt. Hey, it’s easy for me - he’s in his prime. I said to him, ‘Matt, I love you, man. Boy, that Bourne (series) must really be going strong.’ But good for him. He’s right taking chances. All those young guys - (George) Clooney - they’re taking risks … It’s smart trying to mix it up a bit and maintain those franchises and still get to do a picture that turns you on.'"

Why do I have the sinking feeling we're in for a plethora of "icky gay kiss" jokes in the months to come?

Comments

1. This could actually be cool...in a "kitchsy" way although I wonder how many queerlings even know who Liberace (or Michael Douglas for that matter) was.

Posted by: Geoffrey | Sep 14, 2009 1:35:03 PM

2. Now, this I GOTTA see!

Posted by: Hank | Sep 14, 2009 1:38:17 PM

3. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Posted by: OttoErotica | Sep 14, 2009 1:53:37 PM

4. The mock-up is too disturbing. Must...look...away...

Posted by: protogenes | Sep 14, 2009 1:58:11 PM

5. wow.

Posted by: Tyler | Sep 14, 2009 1:59:49 PM

6. Will NOT see it. Where are the major actors who are openly gay? Oh, there are none. Heterosexuals are blocking an openly gay person from being a major actor. I'm not going to watch a movie with heterosexuals, who have oppressed gay people for millennia, portray gay people. Stop the discrimination and I will reconsider.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 14, 2009 2:09:12 PM

7. kind of sad when your onscreen boyfriend is more feminine than your wife. Only problem is Matt just gained 35 pounds, uh-oh.

Posted by: cd | Sep 14, 2009 2:19:25 PM

8. The Liberace Story - "'a picture that turns you on.'"

Oh boy!

Posted by: Glenn I | Sep 14, 2009 2:23:33 PM

9. "Where are the major actors who are openly gay? "

But, Bill, your comment is so ironic: Liberace wasn't openly gay. You think maybe his mother was the only soul of Earth who didn't know--or rather didn't want to know?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 14, 2009 2:33:00 PM

10. Bill is funny in that drooly, developmentally disabled sorta way.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 14, 2009 2:33:36 PM

11. "I'm not going to watch a movie with heterosexuals, who have oppressed gay people for millennia, portray gay people."

Jessica H. Christ, another fucking moron drooling about how only gay actors should play gay characters.

Then no gay actors should be able to play straight characters????

Where do you get your ideas of gay liberation—off of bubble gum wrappers?

Posted by: Michael | Sep 14, 2009 2:42:15 PM

12. I'm thinking Matt Damon is more of a grown up than to do the "icky gay kiss" stuff. We'll see.

Posted by: seattle mike | Sep 14, 2009 2:53:27 PM

13. I'm not buying Douglas as Liberace.

Add a prosthetic chin, and I think Mike Myers would have made a more credible one.

Liberace:

Myers:

Posted by: Smokey | Sep 14, 2009 3:02:37 PM

14. I hate to say this, but for me, that picture of Michael Douglas conjured up the image of Gary Oldman as Count Dracula.

Posted by: Stanley R. Dixon | Sep 14, 2009 3:42:45 PM

15. Where are these openly gay actors playing heterosexuals, Michael? I can't name a single major actor in this country who is openly gay that plays heterosexuals.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 14, 2009 3:42:46 PM

16. Love that coat, nothing like getting a lot of tail (s).

Posted by: JEFF | Sep 14, 2009 3:53:27 PM

17. @ Seattle Mike. I completely agree....Matt Damon (aside from his George Clooney gag) wouldn't allow such silliness. (I hope.) I really respect him a bunch...and don't usually go in for lots of Hollywood silliness.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 14, 2009 4:12:52 PM

18. Bill, I've got Neil Patrick Harris on the phone. He didn't say what it was about.

T.R. Knight is on line 2.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 14, 2009 4:23:32 PM

19. Ian McKellen would have called but he said he doesn't talk to stupid.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 14, 2009 4:24:57 PM

20. @ Bill:

Oh, now only "major actors" need apply. And "in this country."

Bull. Why don't you ask for a pony, too?

None of these have to be major stars to prove your "Only Gay" assininity. Jody Foster, Neil Patrick Harris above. Ian McKellen, Rupert Everett, T.R. Knight, Chad Allen, Luke MacFarlane, Cheyenne Jackson....

Posted by: Michael | Sep 14, 2009 4:34:49 PM

21. I don't think we'll see icky type comments from either of these two. Leave that to the younger inexperienced magazine craving actors. It sounds interesting though...

Posted by: ED2 | Sep 14, 2009 5:22:44 PM

22. How 'bout Robin Williams as Liberace and Neil Patrick Harris as the BF? OMG that would be FAB-YOU-LOUS!!!

Robin:

Liberace:

Posted by: PDQ | Sep 14, 2009 7:04:12 PM

23. Michael Douglas is a great actor but he just doesn't scream Liberace to me.

Watching Matt Damon kissing a man...yum.

Posted by: David | Sep 14, 2009 7:45:39 PM

24. Uhg, can't get that coat out of my mind. It looks like somebody was trying to dress up as a coral polyp or dead anemone for Halloween.

Posted by: castaway | Sep 14, 2009 8:48:44 PM

25. Ian and Rupert are foreign. All the others either got roles of heterosexuals while in the closet or are minor actors.

You can't name a single openly gay person who is getting leading roles in movies because heterosexuals are blocking the advancement of gay people. They are ok as long as gay people are silly, docile and subservent to them. Heterosexuals want an UNeven playing field that always benefits them. That is why when they take these gay roles they are bound to get awards and critical recognition to further their career (while gay actors struggle from job to job).

Posted by: Bill | Sep 14, 2009 11:37:49 PM