Michael Douglas and Matt Damon to Play Lovers in Liberace Biopic

Liberace

A year ago I posted about plans for a Liberace biopic directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Michael Douglas as the ivory-tickler. Now, there are rumblings that Matt Damon has been cast as Liberace's lover Scott Thorson.

SunMedia reports: Damon "Douglas confirms the duo will team for a Liberace biopic helmed by
Steven Soderbergh, who co-produced Douglas’s latest, Solitary Man, and
directed Damon in Friday’s whistleblower comedy The Informant! Douglas will portray the flamboyant piano-playing entertainer while
Damon will play Scott Thorson, who sued Liberace for palimony even
though the superstar insisted he wasn’t gay.  'Matt’s going to be my young lover,' Douglas tells Sun Media. 'Why not?
God bless Matt. Hey, it’s easy for me – he’s in his prime. I said to
him, ‘Matt, I love you, man. Boy, that Bourne (series) must really be
going strong.’ But good for him. He’s right taking chances. All those
young guys – (George) Clooney – they’re taking risks … It’s smart
trying to mix it up a bit and maintain those franchises and still get
to do a picture that turns you on.'"

Why do I have the sinking feeling we're in for a plethora of "icky gay kiss" jokes in the months to come?

Comments

1. Bill says

Will NOT see it. Where are the major actors who are openly gay? Oh, there are none. Heterosexuals are blocking an openly gay person from being a major actor. I’m not going to watch a movie with heterosexuals, who have oppressed gay people for millennia, portray gay people. Stop the discrimination and I will reconsider.

2. Derrick from Philly says

“Where are the major actors who are openly gay? ”

But, Bill, your comment is so ironic: Liberace wasn’t openly gay. You think maybe his mother was the only soul of Earth who didn’t know–or rather didn’t want to know?

3. Michael says

“I’m not going to watch a movie with heterosexuals, who have oppressed gay people for millennia, portray gay people.”

Jessica H. Christ, another fucking moron drooling about how only gay actors should play gay characters.

Then no gay actors should be able to play straight characters????

Where do you get your ideas of gay liberation—off of bubble gum wrappers?

4. Chris says

@ Seattle Mike. I completely agree….Matt Damon (aside from his George Clooney gag) wouldn’t allow such silliness. (I hope.) I really respect him a bunch…and don’t usually go in for lots of Hollywood silliness.

5. Michael says

@ Bill:

Oh, now only “major actors” need apply. And “in this country.”

Bull. Why don’t you ask for a pony, too?

None of these have to be major stars to prove your “Only Gay” assininity. Jody Foster, Neil Patrick Harris above. Ian McKellen, Rupert Everett, T.R. Knight, Chad Allen, Luke MacFarlane, Cheyenne Jackson….

6. ED2 says

I don’t think we’ll see icky type comments from either of these two. Leave that to the younger inexperienced magazine craving actors. It sounds interesting though…

7. Bill says

Ian and Rupert are foreign. All the others either got roles of heterosexuals while in the closet or are minor actors.

You can’t name a single openly gay person who is getting leading roles in movies because heterosexuals are blocking the advancement of gay people. They are ok as long as gay people are silly, docile and subservent to them. Heterosexuals want an UNeven playing field that always benefits them. That is why when they take these gay roles they are bound to get awards and critical recognition to further their career (while gay actors struggle from job to job).

8. anon says

There was also a very good (and overly sympathetic) TV movie made about the big Lib. His boyfriend’s story would tend to balance it out perhaps. Michael Douglas just doesn’t do flamboyant, so maybe this is a joke of some kind?

9. says

While I don’t really see the need for yet another version of Liberace’s life, I do recall that Michael Douglas can play gay (for comedy anyway), as he did on Will and Grace. As Liberace, I think he is just creepy, and looks like his father in drag!
    ^^X^^

10. hadassah weinreb says

This smells of direct-to-DVD. Douglas’ production company must be doing this film, hence casting M.D. in a role he clearly is unfit for & Robin Williams would slay in.
    How envious of Douglas is Geo. Clooney, I wonder.

11. says

I respectfully disagree with Bill’s suggestion that we should cast openly gay actors in gay roles. Leaving aside the fact that a lot of gay actors decline gay roles so as to avoid getting type-cast, my main objection is that on the flip side, that means we also shouldn’t cast openly gay actors in straight roles. There simply aren’t enough gay roles for the gay actors, even if we add in nonsexualized character roles (e.g., Ian McKellen as Gandalf).

12. says

I should clarify my first sentence: “I respectfully disagree with Bill’s suggestion that we should cast openly gay actors in gay roles.” I meant that we shouldn’t ONLY cast gay actors in gay roles (so as to avoid having to ONLY cast straight actors in straight roles). Of course if a gay actor goes out for such a role, they should also be considered.

13. blueboy says

matt damon has actually ALREADY started in with how much of a ‘challenge’ this role is going to be and how ‘awkward’ the kissing scenes will be to shoot.. just in case anyone might mistake him for ACTUALLY being gay (god forbid).. so much for being too ‘grown-up’ for that silliness..

14. says

Robin Williams as Seymour Heller,Liberace’s manager?
    YES!YES!!YES!!!DYNAMIGHTY!!!!!
    Gary Sinise as George,Liberace’s brother?
    DELIRIOUSLY SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK!!!!!
    Kathy Bates as Frances,Liberace’s mother?
    SOOOOOOOOO INTENSELY INTERESTING !!!!!
    Kirk Douglas as Salvatore,Liberace’s father?
    WHY THE HELL NOT? !!!!!
    Kurt Russell as Elvis Presley?
    I almost thought he WAS Elvis? !!!!!
    Matt Damon as Scott Thorson?
    Matt could do”The Elton John Story” if he wanted to !!!!!
    Michael Douglas as Liberace?
    Michael+ allthe above= +++Oscar$!!!!!

15. says

Imagine:………………..
    A shirtless MATTADORE, Scott,
    poolside, by moonlight,
    twirling a red silk shirt,
    around his motorcycle-helmet-for-bull,
    doing a mock ballet’
    to Liberace’s playing Malaguena.

16. Richard Choffe says

How to go from Gordon to Glitter Man !…..

Michael Douglas is Liberace !!!!!
    Hugh Jackman as the very young Liberace ?
    Robbin Williams as Seymour Heller, Liberace’s manager ?
    Gary Sinise as George, Liberace’s brother ?
    Kathy Bates as Frances, Liberace’s mother ?
    Kirk Douglas as Salvatore, Liberaces father?
    Kurt Russell as Elvis Presley ?
    Scott Thorson is as Matt Damon !!!!!

17. Richie D Lirious says

Imagine……….
    A shirtless MattAdore,poolside by moonlight,
    twirling a red silk shirt around
    his motorcycle helmet-for-bull,
    doing a mock ballet…….
    to Liberace playing Malaguena!!!

18. Kojack says

Imagine………..
    A shirtless Matt-Adore…
    poolside by moonlight…
    twirling a red silk shirt…around
    his motorcycle helmet-for-bull…
    doing a mock ballet…to
    Liberace playing Malaguena !!!

19. Kojack says

Imagine…………
    A shirtless Matt-adore…
    poolside by moonlight…
    twirling a red silk shirt…around
    his motorcycle helmet-for-bull…
    doing a mock ballet…to
    Liberace playing Malaguena !!!

20. Kojacque says

Flamenco Tanka….
    Shirtless Matt-adore,
    Whirl your bike helmet-for-bull,
    Twirl your red silk shirt,
    Pool-side by moonlight, ballet,
    Lee key-dance Malaguena !