DOMA | Gay Marriage | Jerrold Nadler | News

BigGayDeal.com

Video: Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) Introduces 'Respect for Marriage Act'

Nadler

Late yesterday, I added a few videos to my post about the introduction of legislation repealing the "Defense of Marriage Act," but Rep. Jerrold Nadler's (D-NY) intro wasn't available yet.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bllumenauer In related news, today, Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) posted a piece about how approving DOMA was the worst vote of his political career :

Having given it much thought, I was convinced that by voting for this one federal statute against the recognition of same-sex marriage, it would somehow take the steam out of the Newt Gingrich-Tom Delay Congress, which was using the homophobic right-wing agenda to mobilize their base at the expense of millions of gay, lesbian, transgendered, and bisexual Americans. My hope was to simply move on and get to more pressing business at hand, including smaller steps for equality based on sexual orientation, like legislation against employment discrimination.

Since I was an outspoken supporter of anti-discrimination, I assumed that my calculations would be understood by my friends in the community and that we would lay this obnoxious political vendetta to rest. Wrong on all counts.

It should have been obvious to me that we would not be able to quell this assault based on sexual orientation. Far from stopping it, this vote fed the bigotry. Once Congress had put its imprimatur on DOMA, it was a logical step for the homophobes and political cynics to intensify their efforts and make permanent a ban on gay marriage in both the U.S. and state constitutions -- spawning many state initiatives and intensifying the assault.

Comments

1. Yo Earl, people like you are why we allowed the south to fuck over the country from reconstruction on. You're a modern day Neville Chamberlin. Thanks for your regrets. No. Really. Thanks.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 16, 2009 11:18:35 AM

2. So goofy looking Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) signed a gay discrimatory law into effect to " simply move on and get to more pressing business at hand, including smaller steps for equality based on sexual orientation, like legislation against employment discrimination."

That makes NO SENSE

Posted by: Wolfie | Sep 16, 2009 11:58:44 AM

3. Ugh. Okay, I question his judgment in 1996 but I guess he agrees with me in that regard. Obviously I'd rather he'd voted differently, but whatever, I'm glad he's turned around on this, and we need every ally we can get. If only the other Dems who voted for DOMA would repudiate their votes as forcefully as this guy has.

Posted by: Pender | Sep 16, 2009 12:06:20 PM

4. Glad to see Blumenauer has changed his mind, but man, that explanation is a huge load of horseshit, even for a politician.

Posted by: Glenn | Sep 16, 2009 12:47:46 PM

5. maybe the entire Oregon delegation could just stand up and out itself as gay, they certainly look it, him, Defazio and Hooley.

Posted by: cd | Sep 16, 2009 1:21:14 PM

6. He kind of HAD a point.

I think the gay community should turn down the jets on the marriage equality front, and instead focus on ENDA, DADT, and finishing up federal hate crimes legislation. These issues are more discriminatory and we have more public support for them, and would probably create a larger effect for VASTLY more LGBT people. The state strategy has been working with marriage equality and a failed federal attempt at marriage could set up another backlash (Bush 2004). We will win the marriage equality battle, while hard work and constant advocacy is necessary, the battle will most likely be won by demographics.

Lets get basic human rights for ALL LGBT people, instead of fighting for the luxury for gay couples to get married in San Francisco...

Posted by: Travis | Sep 16, 2009 2:08:35 PM