Bevan Dufty | Buju Banton | Jamaica | News

BigGayDeal.com

Buju Banton: 'There is No End to the War Between Me and Faggot'

Banton

Despite having met with a group of gay leaders and activists this week, Jamaican 'murder music' singer Buju Banton says his attitude toward gays has not changed:

"This is a fight, and as I said in one of my songs 'there is no end to the war between me and faggot' and it's clear. The same night after I met with them (gay associates), they pepper-sprayed the concert. So what are you trying to tell me? I owe dem nothing, they don't owe I nothing."

Bnton He said he only met with them because Supervisor Bevan Dufty, who is running for San Francisco Mayor, asked him to:

"It is not about boxing food out my mouth, if a that I would have surrendered to the system a long time ago. The mayor of San Francisco, or the mayor-to-be, claimed that I was in his district and that it was imperative for him and his organisation to meet with me to further see what kind of personality or character (I have)."

Banton said he will continue on despite cancellations, which he added aren't hurting him: "I have two-and-a-half more weeks and let me tell you this, if a show has been cancelled or postponed by this group of people, it has been picked up and replaced in another venue. Let the struggle continue. Pray for I, don't cry for I."

Banton's L.A. show, which was initially cancelled, was rebooked on the DL. A protest was reportedly held in front of the Cabana Club last night.

Comments

1. Die now, vile rodent.

Posted by: GM | Oct 16, 2009 12:17:01 PM

2. I'm Praying for you to leave my country and go and eat the dirt on your dead end country...Jamaica to me is a place of rotten beings.

Posted by: Bosie | Oct 16, 2009 12:20:14 PM

3. And look at those stupid MFers in that picture. Happy? Proud? Think you've achieved something besides a multi-cultural mutual stroke session in furtherance of Dufty's political ambitions?

What a stupid stunt -- giving credence where none is due.

I would have shoved my fingers down my throat and vomited on his head.

Posted by: GM | Oct 16, 2009 12:20:44 PM

4. read the comments on the "Jamaica Observer" article. almost all of them are supportive of Buju and hateful towards gays, all while ironically accusing the gays of being intolerant and demanding.

Posted by: Wes | Oct 16, 2009 12:22:09 PM

5. This sounds to me like a classic case of "be mean to the gays and everyone will think that I'm not gay".

Posted by: KB | Oct 16, 2009 12:24:46 PM

6. Is the HIV infection rate among men who have sex with men still out of control in Jamaica like it was a few years back? It's partly because of fuckers like this. Who are the nightclub managers in the U.S. booking this guy?

Posted by: jeff | Oct 16, 2009 12:24:52 PM

7. reggae music sucks anyhow. as for buju-he can die choking on his semin.

Posted by: alguien | Oct 16, 2009 12:29:51 PM

8. Apologies for being an imperialist, but we could probably shut Jamaica down by spending our vacation $$$ elsewhere.

Posted by: Everett | Oct 16, 2009 12:34:04 PM

9. Please Dear God do not let Bevan Dufty be the first gay mayor of San Francisco. What an ineffectual, short-sighted hack.

Posted by: Kugel | Oct 16, 2009 12:39:26 PM

10. The gay community needs to quit holding events at Ritual and start boycotting all of Sunset Entertainment Group venues as well. Too bad, I kind of like the Pig 'n' Whistle. They have a hot bartender.

Posted by: B | Oct 16, 2009 12:43:40 PM

11. Everett, where have you been?? This has been going on for years....Jamaica is definitely not in my vacation plans.

Posted by: KB | Oct 16, 2009 12:43:46 PM

12. Buju is one selfish, irresponsible, mentally ill motha' fucka'. He doesn't give a crap about his native country or the people in it. All he cares about is smoking that crap to forget his years as a male prostitute. It's ugly, but also sad.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 16, 2009 12:44:25 PM

13. What an asshole.

Posted by: adam | Oct 16, 2009 12:50:56 PM

14. For the last two years or so, anytime one of these Murder Music people try to come to Toronto, the community rallies and they get cancelled or denied entry to the country.

You (and by 'you' i mean American gays) don't have to stand for it. We need to create a continent that sends a clear message to these people: you are not ever going to be welcome.

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 16, 2009 12:53:32 PM

15. I hate these "change hearts and minds" fuckwads. If your meeting with Buju to do anything other than kick the shit out of him your not doing so on my behalf.

Posted by: Mike K | Oct 16, 2009 1:02:33 PM

16. I called this as soon as it first happened, and not because I'm some brilliant wiz kid. Just a few clicks sends you to all the info you need on this man. He is NEVER going to be changed. Shame on the idiots who posed with him in this picture.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Oct 16, 2009 1:07:34 PM

17. Jamaica is a terrorist state.

Posted by: Attmay | Oct 16, 2009 1:18:18 PM

18. PLEASE. You think one meeting with Buju was going to change his mind? That's the same as Keith Olbermann meeting with Rush Limbaugh and expecting Rush to start supporting Obama and the left.

Buju has to go back to Jamaica and face his fans which is probably why that statement was issued - to show them in Jamaica that he did not "convert" after the meeting.

Someone on here had it right - "be mean to the gays and everyone will think that I'm not gay". Rumors about his sexuality has been circulating around Jamaica for YEARS.

But again, I beg of you: do not judge a country based on the actions of a few. Remember Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bolton?

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Oct 16, 2009 1:21:52 PM

19. Having traveled through Jamaica many times for work (I've been there over 20 times) I can say, without a hint of racial prejudice, that they are the most ignorant, backward and hostile people I have ever met. They hate white people and tourists, even though the tourists are their only real industry. The island produces little or nothing in the way of products other than marijuana and jerk sauce. The Jamaicans are still in the slave mentality, where white slave owners abused and colonized them.

As a culture, they are one step above savages. Violence is a way of life for them - a way to settle arguments and establish authority. They are on the same cultural level as the Taliban. Poverty and ignorance are widespread. The school system is a joke, even though all the kids wear uniforms. Hatred of gays is preached everywhere - from the schools, pulpit, on TV. One local TV show features a recurring sketch with men in drag who get beaten. Beating up homos is entertainment to them.

I despise this horrible island and everyone on it. All tourism to the island should cease - and once Cuba opens up, it probably will. They are lazy, backward morons. The behavior of a reggae singer should surprise no one.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 16, 2009 1:23:01 PM

20. I pray only that he learns better grammar and syntax.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 16, 2009 1:28:22 PM

21. @JIM,

tings aint like dey used to be, huh? Da Rent boys dem done raised dey prices. And you tink da Cuban boys will be docile? Ah don't tink so, mahn. Try Thailand next time.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 16, 2009 1:39:19 PM

22. Straight Supremacy spurred on by Christian Supremacy on that once glorious island now damaged beyond repair by "christianity".

This guy is a thug with a gang mentality.
    He sees gay people as a gang - "they" peppered sprayed my show.

Just a common low life.

Posted by: RJP3 | Oct 16, 2009 1:39:43 PM

23. Hope he gets sick and need a surgery. And just into the operation table and when he already is getting into the anesthesia effects, he can a see a very campy doctor brandishing the scalpel in a very colorful way.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Oct 16, 2009 1:44:24 PM

24. What gay person would be going to Jamaica in the first place? Its the least tolerant country in the Caribbean. So many other islands to go to with gay-friendlier attitudes.

Posted by: Gregoire | Oct 16, 2009 1:47:04 PM

25. Buju is saying one thing here and another thing for his domestic audience. The guys who met him in San Francisco were naive or grandstanding.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 16, 2009 2:07:13 PM