Crime | Great Britain | News

Gay Man Fights for Life After Attack by Gang of 13 in Liverpool, UK

Liverpool

UPDATED

A gay man is fighting for his life in a hospital in Liverpool following a vicious gang attack police are treating as a homophobic hate crime:

Parkes "The 22-year–old was attacked by up to 13 people at 10pm last night when out with three friends on Stanley Street. He is currently in hospital with multiple skull fractures, a fractured eye socket and a fractured cheek bone...Stanley Street will remained closed until police forensics have completed their investigations. A spokeswoman for Merseyside Police said: 'We were called to reports of a serious assault on Stanley Street at 10pm last night. The victim was taken to hospital with serious head injuries. He has suffered multiple fractures to his skull, a fractured cheek bone and a fractured eye socket. We are treating the incident as a homophobic attack. We believe from witnesses there may have been up to 13 people involved in the attack aged 15–18.'"

The BBC reports that three have been arrested: "Three male youths, two aged 15 and one aged 14, from the Kirkdale area, have been arrested on suspicion of assault."

UPDATE: The victim has been identified as James Parkes, a trainee constable with Merseyside police.

Comments

1. Its always the stupid young punk ass pussy boys.I really need to get me a permit to carry around a 44 magnum.This way when these little punk ass pussy fuckers try any shit on me I will whip it out and ask the shitheads if they feel lucky.Ill pop a cap and go gangsta on dat ass.Make sure I have a bullet with each of their names on them.

Posted by: Rocky | Oct 26, 2009 9:11:31 AM

2. That's right, Rocky. I live in Texas, where concealed handguns are legal. I'm ready.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 26, 2009 9:17:59 AM

3. the few they caught will be singing like canarys - they'll getm! Isd it me or does it seem that the UK is having LOTS of anti-gay attacks of late?

Posted by: Rextrek | Oct 26, 2009 9:19:12 AM

4. I grew up in Liverpool, in the district next door to Kirkdale (where the feral youths involved hail from). This does not come as a surprise. Liverpool is not a huge city, so that we should have the murder of Michael Causer, followed by this serious assault is a measure of how far homophobia has escalated in the city.

Posted by: Graham Anderson | Oct 26, 2009 9:19:21 AM

5. Also - let's face it. Criminal punishment is notoriously weak in Britian.

Posted by: Tell it like it is | Oct 26, 2009 11:21:38 AM

6. @Tell it like it is:
    That in the state of nevada the minimal sentencing for second degree murder is 40 year to life is already considered as inhumane by most people oversea. So your "criminal punishment is notoriously weak". Your making me laugh my ass off.

Punishment level never acted like a deterent and never will. For the simple reason that people don't CARE of the punishment level as long as they don't get caught, which seems to be the idea that most of those teens have.

If that idea sounds absurb, I'll ask you if death penalty isn't a deterent enough for first degree murder, should we make those execution public then ? Or maybe we should abolish the eigth ammendment and go back to torturing them since we're obviously in the state not harsh enough. In fact that philosophy is what was in the mind of those obviously less lenient judges in London following an onslaught of pickpocketing in the 19th century.

Following that epidemy judges decided to make that crime a capital one and hang those thieves. The number of pickpocket increased for a reason I'll tell you in just a bit, but they decided at the time that hanging them wasn't enough, so they hang them -twice- instead.

The reason why they kept going ? Well public hanging is a very popular show at the time, you brought your kids, and your morbid obsession focused on your attention on the agony of those young pickpocket. The crowd was massed tightly so it wasn't unusual for people to get "bumped" by other, making it the -perfect- opportunity for a pickpocket to make a few pocket without the shred of the chance of getting caught. Obviously the execution of one of their peers in front of them, wasn't that much of a detterent.

Remember that I just was talking about the detterent effect on pickpockets, rational criminal if there are any, I would like you to imagine the effect of harsh punishment on hot headed teens in for a good beat-down.

Let the judges who are notoriously more inteligent than you decide of what's the appropriate sentencing. Last time I heard scums like them attacking in group don't invite leniency especially sinc ethose judges will receive letter asking for harsh sentencing.

Posted by: Esurnir | Oct 26, 2009 12:08:32 PM

7. I also grew up in Liverpool, also in the area next to Kirkdale. I too am not surprised. But I am sad and scared for future generations (and current), growing up with increasing levels of ignorance and intolerance. Think of the young man and his family, hope he pulls through.

Posted by: jamesNYC | Oct 26, 2009 1:10:54 PM

8. OMG there are SO MANY damn homophobic assaults being reported this last while... WTF is up with that? I hope that Parkes manages to pull through and recover completely, and that the pnks that did this get an appropriate punishment for their deeds!

Posted by: CKNJ | Oct 26, 2009 1:40:38 PM

9. Rocky and Anon, I'd like to sponsor one of those bullets. James and Graham, what kind of area is Kirkdale? These days, what types of people live there? I always wonder if those punks were white, Asian, Arab; just curious. And, Esurnir, I consider myself moderately intelligent, but after four tries, I've given up on even trying to understand WTF you are talking about. Anyway, the more visible we become, the more violence there seems to be. It's getting bad, guys. What DO we do about it?

Posted by: mike | Oct 26, 2009 1:51:37 PM

10. Hey Esurnir - I don't believe any of the prententious crap you just wrote and if they lashed those fuckers in public - trust me, they would think twice about doing it again and it WOULD be a deturrent.

Works in Singapore.

It is just that bleeding hearts like yours would never go through with it and you are too busy ranting about our anti-humane laws while never looking at individual accountability and owning up to ones own actions. We are not talking about imprisoning someone for stealing a piece of bread in like Les Mis. We are talking about individuals who have end or severely alter the life of someone forever. And it does not stop there - it affects their loved ones as well.

So get off the sanctimonious high-horse about about what happens to the perps and start thinking about the victims. The perp made the choice. The victim had not control.

I suppose you would give them a slap on the wrist and then feed them a piece of chocolate cake.

Now go fuck yourself.

Posted by: Tell it like it is | Oct 26, 2009 1:54:32 PM

11. Northern England is a powder keg of right-wing extremism that could go off at any moment. Disillusionment with the Labour Party is at an all time high. And they aren't turning to the Tories for salvation. They're turning to far right so-called "Independents" (thinly disguised Neo-Nazis).

Race riots.

Homophobic violence.

BNP councilors and mayors.

It is very depressing to say the least.

Posted by: John | Oct 26, 2009 1:58:48 PM

12. "Let the judges who are notoriously more inteligent than you decide of what's the appropriate sentencing."

Notorious intelligence??

Posted by: Rick | Oct 26, 2009 1:59:08 PM

13. Once again, an upstanding citizen has had his life altered by a bunch of thugs. I hope Mr. Parkes, the brilliant handsome young man he is, makes a full and speedy recovery.

And although I hate stoking nationalistic fires, I can't help but note that some of more brutal attacks are happening on foreign shores. This incident and the MANY like them should remind you that hate is a global issue and is still very much a problem in ALL of the Western world, not just the United States.

Posted by: Tommy | Oct 26, 2009 2:27:15 PM

14. In answer to Mike. I am 99% sure that the scum bags who carried out this attack are white and Catholic. I grew up in the area which is pretty much all white. The awful thing for me when I go home is that the gay area/bars are viewed as a "funny" place for straight teenagers to hangout. The clubs cater to this disgusting crowd. Rather than encourage understanding and acceptance the bars generate a kind of side show atmosphere that further dehumanizes gays in the eyes of these inbreeds.

Posted by: jamesNYC | Oct 26, 2009 3:13:45 PM

15. JAMESNYC how does one "encourage understanding and acceptance"? in the minds of 15 year old boys running in a pack?

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 26, 2009 3:31:24 PM

16. @JOHN "Northern England is a powder keg of right-wing extremism that could go off at any moment".
    _______

John - do you live in the UK?

"a powder-keg of right-wing extremism that could go off at any moment". Inflammatory language much? Nothing quite like a big dose of exaggeration is there? All of which paints a very distorted charicature of Northern England -aside from the fact that there is as much support (i.e. little) in the South East of England for the BNP as there is in the north especially in places like Essex.

Whereabouts in the UK are the race riots you refer to?

Let's get some perspective here; There are a tiny number of BNP councillors relative to the total number of councillors UK wide. (Who is the BNP Mayor??) The recent appearance of BNP's Nick Griffin on BBC's Question Time provoked ridicule from the vast majority of the public. Disillusionment with the Labour Party may well be high but people are not turning to the BNP in droves as you imply. In any event, disillusionment with a government that's been in office for 12 years is par for the course. And what has any of this got to do with the attack on this young guy in L'Pool? You're reaching.

The liverpool force will work extremely hard to bring these scumbags to justice especially as the victim is one of the family i.e. a trainee officer. Also, it is being treated as a hate crime so will attract much stiffer penalties.

Posted by: atheist | Oct 26, 2009 3:49:01 PM

17. Hi Sargon. When I say "encourage understand and acceptance" I mean it in a larger more social way. In a way that would hopefully prevent attacks like this in the future. I did not mean it as a way of preventing this specific attack with this specific group of 15 year old boys. Believe me, I am more than aware of the what goes on in the minds of the type of 15 year old boys we are refering to. I grew up with them. Thanks.

Posted by: jamesNYC | Oct 26, 2009 3:52:39 PM

18. I live in the north of England. It doesn't really feel like a powder keg of right-wing extremism. It's quite nice most of the time. Do come and visit.

Before everyone starts panicking that the UK has suddenly gone homophobic - I'd argue that what's happening is that homophobic crimes are finally starting to be reported by people, taken seriously by police and noticed by the media. I read of a lot of homophobic crime being reported in the US too - but I'm not jumping to any conclusions about rates going up or down.

So, as Scousers like to say: "calm down, calm down."

Posted by: Lubin Odana | Oct 26, 2009 3:59:47 PM

19. I'd think a public punishment, such as flogging, or maybe hanging (preferred) would do the trick. Make the fuckers think twice about it after what happened to their mates.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 26, 2009 5:28:49 PM

20. Exactly how are English police expected to defend themselves or be pro-active against gangs of 'feral' youth when the average street cop isn't even armed? One of the reasons people generally pay attention to cops in North America is because they have a glock in a holster worn on their waist. I COULD NOT IMAGINE BEING AN ENGLISH COP AND HAVING TO BREAK UP A DOMESTIC DISPUTE OR STOP A CAR ON A LONELY HIGHWAY UN-ARMED.

What other modern nations have un-armed police?

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 26, 2009 7:33:41 PM

21. Sir, please stop threatening me and put down that knife or I shall be forced to pepper spray you or call for armed backup; right, there's a good chap.

Ok, ok, break it up lads......ahhh, now of you lads are armed, are you? 'cause I'll have to wait for backup if any of you are armed. You lads don't mind waiting for my backup, do you?

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 26, 2009 7:40:21 PM

22. As another Northern Brit, I have to concur with Lubin Odana: it's not that incidents are markedly increasing, it's the coverage that is ramping up.

To illustrate:
    * Michael Causer's murder was the first-and-only time I have EVER learned of a LGBT story in the local press before the internet.
    * The attack on Mr. Parkes was the lead story tonight, with a reporter at the scene, a guest talking out against homophobia - and the most direct summarising too (sexuality, homophobia and hate-crime all covered in the opening line).

Combined with the recent (95%-likely insincere) Conservative pandering, sharp decline in LGBTs on tv 'scandal' and universal shredding of Jan Muir-style bigotry I'd say we're intriguingly stumbling in the opposite driection to a "powder keg" - all omens of a surprisingly positive political development.

With regards to right-wing extremists, I don't see the stormclouds either: in their clumsy/dishonest way even the BNP are trying to tone their homophobic image, we've got crazy Tory EU psuedo-fascist allies clambering to attend UK pride events, and general world-gone-mad phenomena of that kind.

About the only unabashed homophobes left are the religulous folks, and even they barely crawl out from under the rocks at the minute...

Of more immediate concern though: I hope James Parkes can pull-through, and that the murderous little thugs are brought to justice.
    Personally; I'd strongly suspect that they are more murderous than homophobic (might be very homophobic but nonetheless MORE murderous), but hate-crime seems a fair label in this case and if bolsters the case against them so much the better.

Posted by: PM | Oct 26, 2009 8:03:30 PM

23. @ MIKE - Kirkdale and Bootle (where I grew up) are very similar: white, (un)working class, poor. Recent data shows that Bootle ranks 624 out of 628 parliamentary constituencies for educational qualifications - Kirkdale ranks 600. As you might say in America - po' white trash. High Catholic population - highlighted by some as partly responsible for the general background levels of homophobia in Liverpool. When the schools are run by priests, you can't exactly expect them to talk about Harvey Milk in civics classes. As to the "powder keg" comments, not sure that's true, but Liverpool has always seemed to me to be horribly racist. With some of the oldest Black and Chinese communities in Europe, you will walk around parts of the city and never see a non-white face. When I was growing up, the Blacks lived in Toxteth and that was pretty much it. There were no Asians to speak of. Plus, you had all the Catholic/Protestant crap going on - the religious divide in Liverpool is as strong as in Glasgow, just a bit less than Northern Ireland. In short, if you are in any way different or stand out, you're a target to be cut down.

Posted by: Graham Anderson | Oct 26, 2009 9:35:06 PM

24. People should realize most gay bashings, assaults in general, go un-reported. Things people hear, read, or see in the news media is only a fraction of actual crime in general, including violent crime.

This is true in the UK. It's also true in North America, Europe, Australia, et al.,

Actual crime rates are HIGHER, not lower, than what's officially reported.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 26, 2009 9:38:40 PM

25. I attended an all-boys Catholic urban H.S. in America. We actually had very liberal sex ed, homosexuality was explicitly discussed in a non-judgmental fashion, and we were taught evolution not creationism. Catholics do not believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible, unlike evangelical Protestants and others like Baptists.

And I was raised Episcopal (American Anglican)but attended Catholic schools.

Maybe in America it's different.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 26, 2009 9:45:32 PM