Gay Marriage | News | Pat Robertson

Pat Robertson: Gays 'Want to Destroy Marriage'

Robertson

On yesterday's edition of The 700 Club, Pat Robertson made the absurd claim that gays want to destroy marriage:

"I don't really believe that homosexuals want to get married. What they want to do is destroy marriage and some of the other things that we have in our society. There's been an outright campaign against the traditional moral values that have grown up in a Judeo-Christian culture. And they don't want any, any hindrance to their particular lifestyle or their particular way of having sex..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Heterosexuals are doing a pretty good job destroying marriage on their own - especially in red states, where the divorce rate is higher. They don't need our help.

Posted by: Hank | Oct 21, 2009 1:02:46 PM

2. No, we just want to destroy you.

Posted by: Wes | Oct 21, 2009 1:05:14 PM

3. I don't want to destroy marriage, I want to destroy Pat Robertson.

Posted by: Peter | Oct 21, 2009 1:05:37 PM

4. When, oh when, will the Lord call this man home?

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 21, 2009 1:06:15 PM

5. Yeah. We want to destroy marriage by making it more widespread.

Posted by: Dusty | Oct 21, 2009 1:07:52 PM

6. Heh, I thought he was already dead. I mean, he is rather antiquated and obsolete now.

Posted by: Darren | Oct 21, 2009 1:10:59 PM

7. I think its criminal that this lunatic and his band of weeping sycophants is allowed on national television daily for many hours to beg for money to continue to hate on people and brainwash gullible TV viewers. Thanks to ABC the 700 club is a “must carry” program on all cable and satellite teevision.

Posted by: ggreen | Oct 21, 2009 1:12:44 PM

8. Rotting corpse talking.

Posted by: Jennifer | Oct 21, 2009 1:13:14 PM

9. To the milkman: Do you think "The Lord" of heaven or hell will be calling him "home"? I have my opinion.

Posted by: DArren Cox | Oct 21, 2009 1:13:51 PM

10. The sinking ship of religion is the last respite for sexist, openly homophobic bigots, Christian and otherwise. Just look at the vatican's recent decision to "ease" Anglicans who oppose same-sex marriage, gay bishops and female priests into catholicism.

Posted by: Chal Pivik | Oct 21, 2009 1:15:24 PM

11. OH NO!!!! He found me out. Destroying marriage is what I spend my days doing. I thought nobody would notice until I had accomplished my goal. BUSTED!!! Now what? What will I do after coffee tomorrow????

Posted by: fred | Oct 21, 2009 1:15:44 PM

12. didn't he commit adultery back in the 80s? were teh gays responsible for that?

Posted by: alguien | Oct 21, 2009 1:16:13 PM

13. I pray Pat will be having sex with earth worms pretty damn soon.

Posted by: kansastock | Oct 21, 2009 1:18:51 PM

14. And Pat Robertson is a lying bastard.

God needs new HR people.

Posted by: Hank | Oct 21, 2009 1:19:06 PM

15. Yes, I surely chose to get married because I wanted to have MORE sex. What an idiot!

Posted by: Jason | Oct 21, 2009 1:25:16 PM

16. Ignorant, bigoted, anit-intellectual followers of Robertson and his brand of Christianity are doing a fine job of destroying marriage all by their little lonesomes. They don't need any help from gay folks. Pass the popcorn -I enjoy watching these ideologues make complete asses of themselves.

Posted by: Nick | Oct 21, 2009 1:30:54 PM

17. I'm offended by that black cunt standing next to him.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 21, 2009 1:32:06 PM

18. It's so easy, refreshing, and liberating to sit around and type insults at cartoon enemies on a message board instead of addressing the underlying issues in an intelligent, unified, or even creative manner! Who has time for figuring out WHY people like this exist when we can just sit back and hate, hate, hate the people who believe in these ideas? I don't have time for that shit!! I'd rather jump in the same slimepool he's in and sling mud right back at him than elevate my thinking and attempt to change peoples' perceptions about gay people! Plus, it's so much FUN, when the other stuff is just so damn HARD!

HAHAHA! What a bigot! What an uneducated, low-life trailer-trash bunch of people they are!! Haha! Who cares if some of them are our parents, neighbors, and family members - they're all a bunch of degenerates who can't read! Plus, they're OBESE!! Hahaha! And some of them drive pickup trucks and they all need to DIE!! Haha, this is so "liberating"!!

Posted by: Mitch Shea | Oct 21, 2009 1:35:42 PM

19. When is that pile of shit going to drop dead?

I wish he and Freddy Phelps would drive off a fucking clift and land on Glenn Beck while he's sticking a frozen banana up Bill O'Reilys ass.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Oct 21, 2009 1:44:33 PM

20. Mitch Shea:

Exactly what "underlying issues" are we supposed to address from the latest hate speech from Pat Robertson? This bigot will be a bigot until the day he dies. You'll never be able to reason with him, he'll never change or modify his views or his rather blatant attitude towards GLBT people. This is the man who was practically cheering when gay men started dying of AIDS in the 80's. This is the man who agreed with Jerry Falwell that gay people were the cause of 09/11. This is the man who has carried on a war against gay and lesbian people for decades. This is hate, pure and simple. So, what exactly are we supposed to rationlize here? Hell, I'm waiting for that nasty bigot to die myself.

Posted by: Terry | Oct 21, 2009 1:44:51 PM

21. I would probably be a wretched hateful little man if my daddy, Absalom, decided to give me a woman's name... cuz ya know ol' momma Gladys didn't have a say in anything ibn that household.

Here's his Wiki entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Robertson

Pat Robertson
    Born Marion Gordon Robertson
    March 22, 1930 (1930-03-22) (age 79)
    Lexington, Virginia, United States
    Occupation Televangelist
    Spouse(s):
    Adelia Elmer
    Children:
    Timothy Bryan Robertson
    Elizabeth Faith Robertson
    Gordon Perry Robertson
    Anne Carter Robertson
    Parents:
    Absalom Willis Robertson
    Gladys Churchill

Scroll down to the Business Interests section, read it and tell me why this man still needs to rob destitute, poverty-stricken, gullible and vulnerable people of their last pennies in the world.

What a sleazy person Marion is. Here's hoping he sees his buddy Falwell down below REAL SOON!!!

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Oct 21, 2009 1:47:37 PM

22. "You'll never be able to reason with him, he'll never change or modify his views or his rather blatant attitude towards GLBT people."

Gee, I'm glad MLK didn't think this about Southerners (or anyone else) when the Southern Christian Leadership Conference SELECTED Rosa Parks to be the public face of discrimination as opposed to the hundreds of others who refused to give up their seats on Montgomery buses in the 1950's. Shows something we need to learn: that views can be modified and changed - in the FOLLOWERS of such people, if not in them specifically, by demonstrating who we are in a way that doesn't turn off those who CAN BE convinced otherwise. So excuse me for not participating in the Robertson bash-fest, I'm way more concerned about changing what his followers think as opposed to worrying about his hatred.

The nasty bigot will die, as you say. Sure enough. But extinguishing the bigotry in his wake will take a whole lot more effort than alot of us seem willing to put forth, judging from the classist and stereotypical comments here and in the Matt Boswell article below.

Posted by: Mitch Shea | Oct 21, 2009 1:51:20 PM

23. America's first mistake was the FCC allowing churches to broadcast on the air. Imagine the amount of money these "churches" have taken out of the local communities!

Posted by: Tom Gregory | Oct 21, 2009 1:51:55 PM

24. Gee, Pat. If it was just about sex, I'd leave you alone. But, it's not just about sex, Pat. It's about human dignity, unconditional love and enduring commitment between two, consenting adults. Pat, darling, you heteros have done a fine job of destroying marriage all on your own--especially in those red-state bastions of christian "morality" that send in those tithes and offerings that keep your sorry ass on the air after all these years. Sorry to disappoint you, Pat, but I did not wake up today, laugh wickedly and spend the morning figuring out ways to destroy yours or anyone else's marriage. Pat, honey, you need a new Bible. Or else, you need to re-read yours. Please, Pat, please! Tell me the chapter and verse that has Our Lord saying that two, committed, loving, consensual adults cannot marry! Otherwise, I'm going to hold back my 10% until you do.

Posted by: mike | Oct 21, 2009 1:53:26 PM

25. I get it Mitch Shea, so, what are you doing about it? What do you suggest we do about it?

Posted by: spring | Oct 21, 2009 1:54:47 PM