Gay Marriage | News | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Plaintiff in Texas Gay Divorce Case Speaks

Jb2

Good Morning America Weekend's Bill Weir talks to a man identified only as JB, the plaintiff in the Texas gay divorce case, about what he expected when he filed for divorce, and how much of his case was motivated by gay activism.

Without naming names, JB says that some of the greatest negative feedback he received regarding his case in the ten months since he filed it came from the gay and lesbian legal community. He expressed some bitterness that LGBT groups are just now getting behind the case: "You can't just jump on when you want to and claim your stake. This is my battle over the full faith credit. This is not about gay and lesbian marriage."

JB is also asked how he felt when the judge ruled in his favor. Said JB: "After ten months some of it is relief, some of it is sadness, and some of it is overwhelmed because then the floodgates opened again...I don't think the end of anyone's marriage can be celebrated as a victory."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Judge Rules Gay Couple Can Divorce in Texas, Says State's Same-Sex Marriage Ban Violates U.S. Constitution [tr]

Comments

1. Why can't people leave the legal arguments to their lawyers? Even as a non-lawyer, I learned about the Constitution in 7th grade and know that it is the "Full Faith AND Credit" clause.

Posted by: Jackson | Oct 4, 2009 6:26:54 PM

2. This guy is really bitter the way he talks. I'm sorry you're getting divorced, but it's not all about you. His attitude seems really selfish to me. The reason why the LGBT groups didn't want to get behind him is because he's in TEXAS. I don't blame them.

Posted by: Tony | Oct 4, 2009 7:54:40 PM

3. Jackson, because Gay men know so dam much about everything, as do 14 year old girls. Just ask one.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 4, 2009 7:55:20 PM

4. "Whimpering Eunuch's Tragic Bid for Respectability Fails"

Now show us the picture of the little Chinese girl they bought at World Imports.

I may cry.

Posted by: Bryan | Oct 4, 2009 8:35:16 PM

5. His spouse is well rid of him.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 4, 2009 8:40:10 PM

6. "This is not about gay marriage, this is about gay divorce," and we know the Republicans are happy when gay people split up: it helps confirm all those stereotypes about gay relationships being fleeting. So they're in a bind!

Posted by: Kevinvt | Oct 4, 2009 8:56:37 PM

7. While I understand that the end of a marriage isn't to be celebrated and understand that he says this isn't about gay marriage in his mind, clearly he doesn't understand the impact this case has on the issue whether he likes it or not.

Posted by: DR | Oct 4, 2009 9:22:37 PM

8. I watched this as I woke up this morning and frankly, I can understand his bitterness over GLBT groups failing to support him at the onset and then jumping on and trumpeting his action. It sucks when we get divorced, I agree, however the fact he is in Texas should have been a plus not a minus for 'the cause'.

Posted by: Geoff | Oct 4, 2009 11:45:35 PM

9. Personally,

The whole thing scares me. Why? Because we are fighting for marriage equality and already DIVORCE?

I know it's our right but I don't believe we need to be monkey see, monkey do. You want it so bad. Once you obtain it the same way you faught to get married you need to fight to make it work.

Otherwise, Why bother at all?

P.S Isn't that shot of Bill Weir so gay?

Posted by: Chris | Oct 5, 2009 1:03:50 AM

10. The still photo above is hilarious!
    Which one is the gay one! LOL!

Posted by: Jake | Oct 5, 2009 12:40:59 PM

11. I would divorce him too!

I know he's going through a divorce but what a "Debbie Downer".

Posted by: Coco | Oct 5, 2009 12:48:56 PM

12. Tony should I remind you that because of TEXAS (Lawrence v. Texas) sodomy laws were overturned forever and much ground has been paved because of TEXAS. Get over your anti-Texas attitude. Good things happen in this state including the possible election of a lesbian to the 4th largest city in the nation (Annise Parker).

Maybe a little research on what's actually happening would be in order before you make such a stupid claim.

Posted by: RBearSAT | Oct 5, 2009 6:56:09 PM

13. If this is the kind of reception the guy got from the gay and lesbian community when his case first broke he has a right to be bitter

Just reading the comments here is enough to make anyone bitter

Where do you people get off?

We are gonna crucify him for asking for a civil right and then expect him to be happy with us?

Get real community!