Christopher Isherwood | Colin Firth | Film | News | Tom Ford

First Look: One-Sheet for A Single Man

Singleman

Here's the just-released one-sheet for Tom Ford's debut film, A Single Man, an adaptation of the Christopher Isherwood novel starring Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Matthew Goode, and Nicholas Hoult.

Firth won the Best Actor prize for the film at the Venice Film Festival and last week he picked up another top honor, this one from the Santa Barbara International Film Festival, which will present him with its "Outstanding Performance of the Year".

It' scheduled to open in limited release in December.

The trailer, if you've missed it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Those eyes! Eek! Someone send this in to that Photoshop Disasters website, stat!

Posted by: Chris | Nov 4, 2009 5:19:05 PM

2. I saw it last night and it's absolutely over whelming. I haven't been as deeply affected by a gay film since Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train. Like I'm sure many others I thought Tom Ford was nothing more than a Fashionista. But this is a real film by a real filmmaker. He understands Isherwood's novel completely. (Don Bachardy is listed as a creative consultant and he has a cameo turn as well.)

Coming at this particular moment th film of A Single Man is a scream of rage against our "inisvibiliy" insifar as the Heterosexual Dictatorship is concerned. Colin Firth has a lock on an Oscar nomination and perhaps the prize itself.

Do not so much as THINK of missing this.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 4, 2009 5:21:09 PM

3. Straight guy plays gay, wins Oscar. I think I've seen this before.

(Actually Firth's overdue for a nomination, so hooray for him)

Posted by: Rich | Nov 4, 2009 5:51:48 PM

4. i think it's very telling that the poster for a movie whose title character is gay features a heterosexual couple. The film may be good, but once more Hollywood buries gays in the marketing.

Posted by: allan | Nov 4, 2009 5:53:40 PM

5. The trailer seems intriguing. Hitchcockian cutting-gorgeous art direction and color-and is Joanne Moore officially the diva of modern day gay films.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 4, 2009 5:56:14 PM

6. I don't know, Allan --

With this man and woman in bed with their clothes on -- it says they are talking but not having sex -- not very Hollywood.

Looks like the gay and his faghag chatting ... which is probably what it is!

Posted by: David B. 2 | Nov 4, 2009 5:59:24 PM

7. The trailer is beautifully executed...

Posted by: MackMike | Nov 4, 2009 6:08:12 PM

8. IMHO, If I never see another Neutra, Lautner or Koenig case-study house done to mid-century moderne (yes, I like it with a Frenchified 'e') perfection with Nelson, Baughman or Wegner furniture, it'll be too soon.

Posted by: Bading | Nov 4, 2009 6:08:14 PM

9. >IMHO, If I never see another Neutra, Lautner
    >or Koenig case-study house done to
    >mid-century moderne (yes, I like it with a
    >Frenchified 'e') perfection with Nelson,
    >Baughman or Wegner furniture, it'll be too
    >soon.

Well, get ready for deja vu repeatedly because mid-century modern seems to be on the lips of almost all the HGTV designers, who I assume are only following nation-wide trends.

Firth looks much better in that poster than in the stills I saw. If it's airbrushing, then Ford should have filmed Firth in soft focus on closeup. Did Julianna Moore have a facelift?

Posted by: SmartVac | Nov 4, 2009 6:19:01 PM

10. That's exactly what it is, David B. Firth and Moore are the stars. Hoult and Goode while teriffic aren't above the title names yet. Moreover the climatic scene is between Mooor and Firth when she makes one las stab at nailing him, denouncing his dead love in the process. And that rips it with him.

VERY powerful stuff.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 4, 2009 6:21:22 PM

11. BADING:

You must suffer from furniture envy. Jealous much?

Posted by: wilburinla | Nov 4, 2009 6:40:06 PM

12. "Firth looks much better in that poster than in the stills I saw."

The poster looks stylized and prettified, but there's no reason for Firth to look that way in the film. He's a man in his late 40s playing a man in his late 40s, and it's entirely age appropriate for him to have a few rough edges. I'm just glad to see actors who look like real people and are shot that way. Am really looking forward to seeing the film.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 4, 2009 7:13:40 PM

13. Nice to have a gay feature to look forward to. That doesn't happen a lot.

Posted by: Glenn I | Nov 4, 2009 7:43:24 PM

14. @ WilburinLA,

I actually gave away a suite of Hans Wegner CH36 dining chairs with their original woven-rope seat to a friend, a mid-century modern johnny-come-lately. I am just soooo sick and tired of it.

Posted by: Bading | Nov 4, 2009 8:01:23 PM

15. Wow! That trailer was awful! Is this a movie or a tribute to Tom Ford's ego?

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Nov 4, 2009 8:09:53 PM

16. I'll go see it if it comes to San Antonio, but this town being what it is, I'm not holding my breath. Maybe in Austin...

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | Nov 4, 2009 9:47:25 PM

17. o dear god
    how can anyone take seriously
    anthing that nasty queen produces for
    our amusement?
    she tragically mean.

Posted by: wilbur | Nov 5, 2009 2:08:50 AM

18. o and yes
    its believed miss moore
    did have a lift tuck.

Posted by: wilbur | Nov 5, 2009 2:10:03 AM

19. Oh those wacky bisexuals.....

Posted by: Tom A. | Nov 5, 2009 5:57:49 AM

20. Of course the poster has to be a picture of a man and a woman. I thought Brokeback Mountain broke some ground....

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 5, 2009 8:22:19 AM

21. Actually they're not in bed, but lying on the living room floor after doing a drunken twist.

Posted by: Rita | Nov 5, 2009 10:41:22 AM

22. Can't wait to see this! Love Isherwood and Colin Firth has always been one of my paradigms of male attractiveness. He will always be my Mr. Darcy.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 5, 2009 1:00:49 PM

23. I echo Bading's sentiments on mid-century modern(e) furnishings.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 12, 2009 8:54:01 PM

24. we're actually talking about chairs?

Posted by: rick | Nov 13, 2009 6:28:17 AM

25. Ok, now I really have no fucking clue what the movie is about. Great trailer (sarcasm).

Posted by: andy | Nov 13, 2009 7:27:04 AM