Gay Marriage | News | Washington DC

Gay Marriage Proposal Sparks Delight and Outrage at D.C. Hearings

Proposal

A proposal between two Andys (aww) caused a stir at the second day of D.C. Council hearings on marriage equality yesterday. The congratulations offered to the couple by the panel outraged some anti-gay bigots who were offering their testimony.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hey Lady - you don't like it huh? Well I got a Bus you can sit in the back of..hows that?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Nov 3, 2009 9:31:25 AM

2. Tacky. I'm sorry, but that's tacky. Gay mean always being over the top and carelessly inappropriate. I'm happy they want to get married, but without knowing what effect that would have on the vote or perceptions, it was irresponsible and ridiculous.

Also, let my man propose to me at a damned city council meeting...not romantic at all.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 3, 2009 9:44:13 AM

3. The religious organizations whining about their relished tax exempt status make me laugh. The Mormons pumped millions into the Prop 8 debate. The Catholics are trying to defeat equal rights in Maine. They deserve to lose that tax exempt status if they want to play in politics. Tax 'em. I'm sure the current deficit would benefit greatly from it.

Posted by: Island Girly | Nov 3, 2009 9:57:56 AM

4. Yeah... not the place for it, at all. But I wish them all the best.

Posted by: Joey | Nov 3, 2009 10:12:55 AM

5. Neither is a basketball game or a busy restaurant or Disney World, but straight people do that all the time.

Posted by: Matt Algren | Nov 3, 2009 10:19:58 AM

6. The parties of god should have had their free ride ended a long time ago. Tax them like everyone else.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 3, 2009 10:21:03 AM

7. Tacky? I don't know. To me it just sort of brings it home that we're talking about real people and real consequences to the law.

And to the woman who said "no respect" -- just because you show no respect for your fellow human beings, doesn't mean they're not making a point, and a very real one.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Nov 3, 2009 10:23:05 AM

8. Looked embarrassingly awkward to me. ><

Posted by: Dave Rattigan | Nov 3, 2009 10:25:11 AM

9. It wasn't a very romantic proposal, but that wasn't the point. The point was that, as the law stands now, they CAN'T do that. You can file all the briefs and make all the legal arguments you want, but clearly members of the panel were moved and that's the stuff they'll remember. So kudos for the guts, but too bad the whole thing felt a bit staged and wooden.

Posted by: DR | Nov 3, 2009 10:27:13 AM

10. @ MATT ALGREN

Yes, I find public proposals, gay or straight, gimmicky.

Posted by: Joey | Nov 3, 2009 10:34:49 AM

11. Typical black church lady. Hey, anti-Gay DC black churches: fuck off.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 3, 2009 10:44:59 AM

12. Wow, I agree with DR, that's a first. :-) It was a great way to make the point that marriage is not some abstract concept and that the implications of this hearing have real meaning to real gay couples. We've criticized marriage equality ads for degaying the issue--these boys kept the gay in it. Their delivery could have used more pizzazz, but I found the awkwardness kind of endearing.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 3, 2009 11:41:03 AM

13. It was kind of lame- but not inappropriate.

Posted by: Travis | Nov 3, 2009 12:18:45 PM

14. Mark, I think your mother is lonely and wants you to come back to bed.

Posted by: Q | Nov 3, 2009 12:21:03 PM

15. Then Daniel Carvier, why are YOU still breathing, you piece of shit? Andy, when are you gonna start blocking these racist mofos like you said you would?

Posted by: Q | Nov 3, 2009 12:24:32 PM