Darren Manzella | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Iraq | Military | News

Iraq Vet Darren Manzella Talks About Coming Out, Military Gay Ban

Manzella

Darren Manzella talks about his tours of Iraq, coming out, and 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' in this new video interview from CNN.

Says Manzella: "After returning from my first deployment in Iraq, after seeing death and violence, losing friends and comrades, it really made me look over my life...I looked at some issues I had always had trouble with. I had debated, 'Am I gay?'"

You may remember Manzella's interview with 60 Minutes, after which he was discharged under DADT.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "I was being investigated about my homosexuality."

Glad to know the military has nothing better to do.

Posted by: Hmmm | Nov 10, 2009 12:02:45 PM

2. Amazing how they investigate reports of homsexuality with vigor, yet the Fort Hood shooter was ignored again and again. Maybe if he had said I love men in one of his postings he would have been stopped.

Posted by: Zach | Nov 10, 2009 12:55:23 PM

3. It's really kind of outrageous that Obama doesn't even want to lift a pinky to help the gay community out.

He didn't say a damn thing in support of the gay marriage supporters in Maine. DADT is still alive.

On a final note, Darren's boyfriend is fugly. He can do so much better.

Posted by: C-vah-jay-jay | Nov 10, 2009 1:23:06 PM

4. I like how they try to butch him up by showing early photos of him with girls and trying to play ball. Even still, once he starts talking....whooops! those eyes are screaming gay no matter how he might try to suppress it. And yes, boyfriend is okay. Darren clearly is trying hard to play the role of "the man."

oh well.

Posted by: ISeeYou | Nov 10, 2009 2:23:57 PM

5. @ ISEEYOU

Thanks for reinforcing the stereotype that gay men are hateful, spiteful, nasty, and bitchy.

Posted by: Gregus | Nov 10, 2009 2:32:12 PM

6. I wish people would stop saying eye-RACK. It's ear-OCK.

Posted by: LD | Nov 10, 2009 2:34:49 PM

7. What a bunch of nasty bitches you are! This kid had the courage to do not one but two tours of duty in Iraq. He could easily have avoided the second one because he is gay -but he chose to go anyway.All you can do is make bitchy comments about his butchness and how ugly his boyfriend is? Get a life!

Posted by: robert | Nov 10, 2009 2:40:10 PM

8. I wonder why he got off so easy. Most military personnel are treated poorly, isolated, forced to rat on their fellows, ruined financially, lied to, given dishonorable discharges, etc. Did I mention the men and women who commit suicide? This guy came through unscathed, according to the clip I just watched. Yes, he was ejected, but he got a good discharge, which probably paves the way for future military benefits. Maybe it's the Navy that is really bad. Or is it the Marines? He seems to have been a good soldier.
    I knew I was gay when I was 5 years old. What took him so long?

Posted by: kody | Nov 10, 2009 2:56:09 PM

9. @ Kody

Honorable discharge is I believe more common recently, though it is still horrible.

Not all of us know we're gay at 5 years old...circumstances, environment....all contribute to making things different for different people. It's called life.

Posted by: Gregus | Nov 10, 2009 3:00:19 PM

10. I served in the Pennslyvania Army National Guard for eight years. I was paid to go to nursing school. I left the Guard in "94" because they didn't want me.

Posted by: Harry | Nov 10, 2009 6:16:18 PM

11. The Pentagon doesn't even have the livestock to cover their current commitments, much less the next "surge". I wonder what would happen to DADT if soldiers by the hundreds decided to get out of Bush War II by claiming to be gay?

Posted by: Gary | Nov 10, 2009 10:14:39 PM

12. 'Livestock' Gary?

'Most military personnel are treated poorly, isolated, forced to rat out their fellows, ruined financially, lied to...'

Sounds like the well known multinational corporation I work for.

I'm a vet. The bureaucracy does suck, but aside from gays, they are just as P.C. as any major corporation or public sector agency. It's funny how many leftwingers hate the military. The armed forces are a monument to diversity and multiculturalism, and they do a better job at it than just about any other institution, public or private.

Posted by: John in Boston | Nov 11, 2009 3:08:25 AM

13. And show a little respect ladies; Sergeant Manzella is the real McCoy, not a remf.

Posted by: John in Boston | Nov 11, 2009 3:32:19 AM