VA and MD Govs Blast Catholic Church for Marriage Equality Threat

Kaineomalley

Virginia Governor Tim Kaine and Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley criticized the Catholic Church's threat to cut off social services in Washington D.C. if the District passes a marriage equality law.

Said Kaine: "I'm Catholic, and I think it's wrong. I don't think you take your ball and go home. I think the strategy of threatening to pull back, it doesn't seem like the church I've come up in."

Radio station WTOP, where the pair appeared, reports:

"Kaine, who praised the 'remarkable' work of the church, says if the Catholic Church opts to end its charitable work in the District, it would 'it would set a very bad example.' … 'It's really not who the church has been. If you look at the church through history, the church will stand in tough situations and continue to do good,' said Kaine, who has worked as a missionary in Honduras. 'I would be very, very disappointed here or anywhere else if the Catholic Church decides 'Gosh, we don't like something that's happening in civil society, so we're going to retreat into our shell.''

Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, who also is Catholic, agreed. 'I don't understand how they can possibly do this,' O'Malley said. 'I have a hard time believing that the nuns and priests who taught me about the Corporal Works of Mercy would agree that this is an appropriate response for the church,' he said. 'I think it would be very, very sad for all concerned, especially for the people who are served by the good work of the Catholic Church acting out the Gospels.'"

Comments

1. Beef and Fur says

This coming from Virginia, where we have one of the most restrictive anti gay “marriage amendments” in the country. Although Kaine wasn’t governor when the constitution was amended.

2. Zeke says

They can’t retreat far enough into a shell for my taste!

Kaine gives the Catholic Church WAY too much credit. For every good thing they’ve done they’ve made up for it with two evil things.

3. Sargon Bighorn says

Amazing that neither one had the balls to say, “And don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out”. It’s time for politicians to stand up to the “Communities of faith” and tell it like it is. No more free rein of terror allowed for religious radicals.

4. patrick nyc says

Better than just giving lip service every politician and gay rights group should be threatening back with taking away the tax exempt status of any church that gets involved in politics.

5. Marc C says

“Said Kaine: “I’m Catholic, and I think it’s wrong. I don’t think you take your ball and go home. I think the strategy of threatening to pull back, it doesn’t seem like the church I’ve come up in.””

Oh but it is Tim, it is.

6. bostonian queer in dallas says

It is time for a whopper case to remove their tax exempt status. This will shut down all this crap. Time for a legal team to go after them and push it to the SCOTUS.

7. Daniel ONeil says

We are witnessing something very significant here, of what you could call the Sea-change of a See change; The end of Pope Paul VI reign was the end of the real Vatican II church. Everything else has been an effort to re-define, and re-trench. Now, B16 is trying to re-write history. Those of us who grew up in a Vatican II church are appauled at where this is headed. Note the new Vatican Inquission of the American Nuns. Many of us can’t believe the giant step backwards the Far Right is wanting to take, and punish people who don’t conform, like Congressman Kennedy, being refused communion by his bishop now. It is a direction that is being enforced all over the country, because John Paul II packed the world with conservative bishops. The effect will be devastating. -Daniel, Bend, OR

8. says

>>and punish people who don’t conform, like Congressman Kennedy, being refused communion by his bishop now<<

I was expecting a post on this from O’Reilly’s show last night. Yes, I am a recovering Catholic. 8 years of parochial school have made me one disillusioned cunt. The snarky bitch Bishop was asked about the difference in his stance on abortion as opposed to the death penalty. He flatly stated where it would be justified to kill another human being for their transgressions. While I am ambivalent about the death penalty, it’s just another example of the shear hypocrisy of the church. You either stand for something or you don’t. Oh yeah, I forgot you guys also like to selectively quote from the Bible as well. That is, when it suits your purpose.

I think this Pope’s arrogance and the Bishops he’s stacked in place are in for a rude awakening. Seriously, why was the assembly of Catholic Bishops being consulted by Pelosi on the Stupak amendment being attached to a health care bill?

Push us hard, I promise you we’ll knock your ass to the ground. Frankly, I think it’s time for the ACLU to start finding out where the money is really coming from to fight government issues they have no business in. I expect it’s being funneled through various established organizations so it can’t be traced. It’s one thing to speak out against something you don’t believe is morally correct (not that your history gives you any legitimate standing), but it’s entirely a different ballgame when you are using church funds to proactively engage in setting policy and change laws.

All I can say is BRING IT ON BITCHES! I’m up for a good fight.

9. Charles says

I went to a conservative Catholic College some 10 years ago, and it is beyond conservative now. They have been purging people from everywhere. From monks, to nuns, to priest, to academics working at Catholic Universities. They are regressing at warp speed.

10. Reggie says

How about an even exchange? The Church gets out of politics, i.e. they take their aid to the poor back, and the government gets out of the church, i.e. the govt take away their tax exempt status.

11. Landon Bryce says

Umm. . . Bostonian Queer? The Catholic Church absolutely controls the Supreme Court. Obama just gave them six votes out of nine.

Do you really think they are going to do anything to decrease the power of their church?

12. Jean-Paul Bentham says

KEIT:

I do believe you have a point. I wonder if the RCC’s world-wide economy is not in the hands of the Knights of Columbus.

If you read the National Catholic Reporter out of Kansas City, you will find that the K of C are known to have more money than the Vatican and that they are experts at invisibly circulating their money.

But removing the tax exemption is the way to go as far as I’m concerned, even here in Canada. Especially here in Canada.

13. steve talbert says

If you really look at what the Church has done in the past, as he suggests, then I am surprised they don’t excommunicate him for his political beliefs and try to burn all the gays in DC at the stake.

14. says

Go. And thank you for continuing to show the world your illogical and bigoted behaviors by stripping away aide from the people who may very well depend upon a service and may not have even voiced an opinion.

Politicians and political hopefuls, Wake Up! There are many more organizations that truly want to help those in need, and they don’t have any ulterior motives or penalty systems for failing to comply with some arbitrary and archaic rubrics.

SARGON BIGHORN, point exactly!