California | News | Osby Davis

BigGayDeal.com

500 Clash in Vallejo, CA Over Mayor's Anti-Gay Remarks

Vallejo

Vallejo's faith-based community faced off against the LGBT community and supporters in vocal protests last night at the City Council meeting.  LGBT activists had planned a demonstration in response to Mayor Osby Davis' recent remarks to the New York Times.

Said Davis about gays: Vallejo2 "They’re committing sin and that sin will keep them out of heaven. But you don’t hate the person. You hate the sin that they commit."

When the faith-based community heard about the demonstration, ABC7 reports, they came out in force to defend the mayor. Watch a report, AFTER THE JUMP...

KTVU reports: "Of the hundreds gathered at city hall, some supported the mayor's right to his personal opinion while others were making a stand against what they called hurtful comments. The debate over religion, homosexuality and what public officials should and shouldn't say led to heated exchanges well before Tuesday night's city council meeting even began. Outside city hall were members of Vallejo's gay and lesbian community. They rallied against what they call Mayor Davis' oppressive and homophobic speech. 'I've lived in Vallejo for 25 years and now. He's asking me to go back in the closet and I will not do that,' said local resident Wendell Quigley. Inside city hall were members of the city's faith community. They prayed that the mayor's remarks wouldn't further divide Vallejo and called for the people of the town to come together. 'We don't stand at the door and ask ‘Are you gay? Are you lesbian?' said Rev. David Miller of the Kyles Temple AME Zion Church. 'I believe we preach to everybody, regardless of your faith, your background or your circumstances.'"

Meanwhile, the NYT released audio of the interview with Davis because the mayor had claimed his comments were presented out of context: "In the interview Davis said that as a Christian he disagrees with homosexuality, but 'loves' and 'prays' for gays to see the 'error in their ways.' He also says that he has 'very close friends' who are gay, and cited Council member Michael Wilson as one of them."

Listen to the audio below.

Watch ABC7's video report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Do they know we don't want to get into heaven? It sounds awfully stuffy. And the lighting is horrible.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 2, 2009 9:49:26 AM

2. 'Oh
    I got a message from below
    'Twas from a man I used to know
    About a year or so ago
    Before he departed
    He
    Is just as happy as can be
    I'll tell you what he said to me
    He said, "If ever you get heavy-hearted

Pack up your sins and go to the devil in Hades
    You'll meet the finest of gentlemen and the finest of ladies
    They'd rather be down below than up above
    Hades is full of thousands of
    Joneses and Browns, O'Hoolihans, Cohens and Bradys
    You'll hear a heavenly tune that went to the devil
    Because the jazz bands
    They started pickin' it
    Then put a trick in it
    A jazzy kick in it
    They've got a couple of old reformers in Heaven
    Making them go to bed at eleven
    Pack up your sins and go to the devil
    And you'll never have to go to bed at all

If you care to dwell where the weather is hot
    H-E-double-L is a wonderful spot
    If you need a rest and you're all out of sorts
    Hades is the best of the winter resorts
    Paradise doesn't compare
    All the nice people are there
    They come there from ev'rywhere
    Just to revel with Mister Devil
    Nothing on his mind but a couple of horns
    Satan is waitin' with his jazz band
    And his band came from Alabam' with a melody hot
    No one gives a damn if it's music or not
    Satan's melody makes you want to dance forever
    And you never have to go to bed at all"

-- Irving Berlin

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 2, 2009 10:01:58 AM

3. Is there no end to the self-satisfied, self-righteousness of these smug speakers of behalf of god ? They keep telling us we are going to hell, or committing sin, etc. They are all full of their own moral self importance. Have they tried humility, silence, self reflection ?

One thing is abundantly clear; wherever the fuck they are going after death, I'm not going to the same place, it's not big enough for both of us.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 2, 2009 10:14:49 AM

4. I love how the hate-the-sin guys ALWAYS have "very close friends who are gay." Really? Very close? Do they feel the same about him? What self-respecting gay person would be friends with someone who believes their life is an error and feels the need to express his personal religious views in public? Apparently these "close friends" haven't convinced the mayor to see the error of his ways, namely ignorance and a confused idea that his religious convictions have a place in the secular sphere.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 2, 2009 10:17:56 AM

5. Faith based community as opposed to the LBGT community? What about gays who are also religious? Call it what it is - the community of bigots.

Posted by: Arthur | Dec 2, 2009 10:23:56 AM

6. "...taken out of context..."
    "...pray for them..."
    "...some of my best friends are..."

Same tired bullsh*t, different day...

Posted by: ichabod | Dec 2, 2009 10:28:10 AM

7. It all makes me think of the Christians "praying for the American Indian" that needed saving from what we were lead to believe. They had done fine for centuries until the Christian puritans brought over guns, liquor and diseases that nearly wiped out entire races but then when they were marched across the country to Oklahoma during the winter trying to get them to die off so Christians could have all the land in the mane of the Lord. Stay out of my house and I'll stay out of yours, I don't need saving in your way, I'll trust my way. Hypocrites, all of them.

Posted by: Scooter McGoo | Dec 2, 2009 10:33:39 AM

8. Okay now lets discuss the elephant in THIS room that no one dares to touch. Osby davis is African American and by looking at the tape you can see that a MAJORITY of his faith based community supporters were African American.

Can we discuss this without having the "racist/bigot" card being thrown?

Posted by: Wolf | Dec 2, 2009 10:39:03 AM

9. ok, so first, I just want to note that I find the picture at the top of this article, (which is also the thumbnail on the homepage) very disturbing and quite misleading. I think that picture furthers the myth that black and brown folks are 1. antagonistic and violent - look at the body language. 2. people of color are particularly anti-gay. and 3. that gay people are white, and peaceful. it looks like it was taken from a news source, who probably did a freeze frame of two different moments in time during the demonstration and then put the together to show polarity, for more exciting journalism. yet, some of us live at the intersection and often go unheard. and are silenced by the mainstream gay rights media and agenda.

there are in fact people living at the intersections of multiple identities who often have to navigate between, sexism from men, transphobia from cisgendered folks, homophobia in our people of color communities and then on top of that, deal with racist images and racism in the gay community.

that picture is irresponsible journalism.

Posted by: a. sanchez | Dec 2, 2009 10:43:54 AM

10. Cage fight for A. Sanchez and Wolf.

Ha ha ha ha.

Listen to the audio-- Davis does himself no fzvors-- he says gays are just like murderers and drug addicts, then says he is not "analyzing" them together. He is unable to justify or explain the discriminatory treatment given to gay candidates by the Faith Forums who support him. He equates his own religious beliefs with football boosterism.

He comes off as a well-meaning, stupid, bigoted man.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Dec 2, 2009 10:57:00 AM

11. hmmm how about if the Mayor were white and said that he beleives Blacks are less and because of that are sinners....No offence of course - just his opinion - cause thats what his faith says.....hmmm

Posted by: Disgusted American | Dec 2, 2009 10:57:53 AM

12. Very simple. The mayor's private religious views should have been kept private. Period. End of story. By his very statements, I would doubt his ability to treat me with fairness and impartiality were I a citizen of Vallejo.

His comments were not appropriate and highly bigoted.

I'm a gay black man and even I would say that these black church bigots are nerve wracking. Christianity ain't in the damn melanin gene and I resent those folks that suggest that.

Having said that, church bigots of ANY ethnicity are nerve wracking and confrontational especially with LGBT's it seems.

I've seen white church bigots in Chicago do the same shit at the Pride Parade and in other venues.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Dec 2, 2009 11:04:41 AM

13. Wolf, I don't know whether his supporters are racist (though homophobes tend to be) but they are definitely bigots.

The attitude is parallel to the opposition my grandparents faced, being constantly told things like: "As Christians, we don't hate the negro; we only hate his race. He just needs to realize that he has been cursed because of the sins of Ham and he will never be equal to the white man."

Same shit, different day, different pile. Exactly the same brainwashed thought process.

The civil rights movement has required people of all races, sexes and and orientations who are thoughtful reflectors in order to recognize the wrongs of unfair treatment to either self or others. Seeing and/or experiencing discrimination does not result in opposition to it if one has been brainwashed by a pastor not to reflect logically.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 2, 2009 11:06:57 AM

14. @Landon Bryce

Thanks.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Dec 2, 2009 11:06:58 AM

15. Wolf, why is it when you look at that picture you see black people?

When I look at it, I see Christian people.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 2, 2009 11:08:48 AM

16. you see Christian people? Just by looking at that picture? how's that? what gives them away? As for the moron saying that the depiction is nothing but stereotypes, look at the video again. The antigay group WAS angry and intimidating (I don't care what color they are) and the gay protesters WERE NOT an angry mob. Why do you want to stir up such animosity between the African American community and the LGBT community? I suspect an ulterior motive.

Posted by: gaylib | Dec 2, 2009 11:18:16 AM

17. @Wolf

See, your problem is that apparently neither the Mayor nor his followers brought up the race issue (of course, they don't have to). You turned it into a question of race instead of their indefensible defense of a clearly bigoted man.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Dec 2, 2009 11:19:48 AM

18. People who say "love" and "hate" in the same sentence are exposing their hypocrisy.

You cannot simultaneously love and hate at the same time. You "cannot serve two masters", as the good book tells us. You either love, or you don't.

So-called Christians who continue to use the phrase "love the sinner, hate the sin" are so far removed from the gospel of Jesus that one wonders what part of Jesus's teachings they even believe in, if any.

They are living monuments to the seperation of the Christian church from the authentic teachings of that Jewish teacher whose life was sacrificed for love, peace, and liberation from oppression.

Posted by: kevin | Dec 2, 2009 11:19:57 AM

19. GAYLIB. Really? I mean, really, with those last two ridiculous sentences in your post?

Posted by: andy | Dec 2, 2009 11:25:08 AM

20. Well actually I said can we discuss it.

And yes Faith crazies of ALL colors are nerve wrecking.

I meant NO disrespect. But my point is like it or not and no matter HOW PC we try to be to get around it. A majority of African Americans have deep religious ties. (And I bring this up to connect with the African American vote on Prop 8.) Yes the problem is religion in General. Thats my worry with changing the hearts and minds senario that Gay Inc always fail with. As long as someones homophobia or bigotry is steeped in religion you can not change thier veiws no matter how hard you try.

Posted by: Wolf | Dec 2, 2009 11:30:39 AM

21. How ironic!- the original sworn in mayor was to be Gary Cloutier who had won by 4 votes. Then a recount was done and it turns out that he lost to Davis by 3 votes and was hence sworn in as the first African-American mayor in Vallejo. Mr. Cloutier would've been the first openly gay mayor in Vallejo and indeed the entire Bay Area for some time. Interesting to see how this develops. Someone should interview Mr. Cloutier because I don't think Mr. Davis should be mayor when he doesn't demonstrate equal care and concern for all his citizens.

Not to mention the blurring of religion and politics is incredibly disturbing. As is the backwards thinking on behalf of this particular group.

& to those who would like to comment based on pics, videos and 2nd/3rd hand information- they should really keep their opinions to themselves. The Bay Area and its peninsula is a very complex place with plenty of racism, homophobia, sexism, progressivism, liberalism & conservatism. It has been my experience that the black communities out there tend to be very religious and very homophobic as well as the Latino & Muslim communities. The wealthy SF gay males also tend to be racist but much of it is based along class lines. The trends blur and fluctuate greatly however.
    Bottom line- don't jump to conclusions you don't have much experience with. The focus here should be on the mayor's behavior, not on race.

Posted by: ED2 | Dec 2, 2009 11:30:57 AM

22. @Wolf--Unfortunately, you're right. Changing a person's heart or mind implies that the person is willing to consider the possibility that their homophobia may be wrong or hurtful. The right vs. wrong worldview that the deeply religious follows precludes such a transformation.

As for Mayor Davis, saying you disagree with my being gay or bisexual is a weasely way of saying you feel my sexual orientation is something that I chose because I lacked sufficient willpower. Screw your rhetorical horse manure.

Posted by: Peter | Dec 2, 2009 11:40:13 AM

23. Thanks, Kev.

I screwed a guy from Vallejo a couple of times. He was a hot guy: a big, blonde redneck. Just a couple of times because he was sort of a Nazi. He has a very ornate tatto and I asked him what it meant. He said it meant "white power" in German and that "In Vallejo, a nigger's a nigger." He was a masochist, so I did have the incredibly satisfying experience of pummeling his testicles after hearing him say this.

And that's my experience with the gay community in Vallejo.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Dec 2, 2009 12:05:20 PM

24. I really wish I knew how to sew. I would send him his KKK outfit so he could wear it. no better...so sad.

Posted by: Sean | Dec 2, 2009 12:14:09 PM

25. @ Landon - Why does your post make me both mad and super horny at the same time?

Posted by: Tralfaz | Dec 2, 2009 12:41:17 PM