Christmas | New Zealand | News | Religion

Mary and Joseph Sex Billboard Stirs Outrage in New Zealand

Godbillboard

A billboard challenging the notions of God and Christmas which featured Mary and a glum-looking Joseph in bed was defaced within hours of being erected in Auckland, New Zealand.

The AP reports: "Church vicar Archdeacon Glynn Cardy said the billboard was intended to challenge stereotypes about the way Jesus was conceived and get people talking about the Christmas story. 'This billboard is trying to lampoon and ridicule the very literal idea that God is a male and somehow this male God impregnated Mary,' said Cardy, who described his church as having very liberal ideas about Christianity. 'We would question the Virgin Birth in any literal sense. We would question the maleness of God in any literal sense,' he said."

Cardy added: "What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about. We actually think God is about the power of love as shown in Jesus, which is something quite different than a literal man up in the sky. One of the options we turned down had a sperm coming down with the words 'Joy to the World'."

Comments

1. LOL! Mary was defaced in bed after Joseph was erected....

Posted by: Play on words | Dec 17, 2009 10:47:34 AM

2. Hilarious billboard, but it didn't get me to "think more about what Christmas is all about." It got me to wonder how big it was.

Posted by: Kuhnsy | Dec 17, 2009 11:33:27 AM

3. Suggested caption for the quashed sperm from theh sky billboard, "It's raining sperm, hallelujah, it's raining sperm!"

Posted by: bading | Dec 17, 2009 12:07:13 PM

4. A church...with a sense of humor? WTF? That's pretty cool.

Posted by: Gregus | Dec 17, 2009 12:45:55 PM

5. Mary "Omnipotent deities don't fart after doing it, UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE JOSEPH!"

Posted by: MicahSkin | Dec 17, 2009 4:02:43 PM

6. If only sex back then had been the least bit romantic.

Posted by: anon | Dec 17, 2009 7:16:06 PM

7. St Matthews In The City is a great church, really inclusive and friendly, they even had a float in the (now defunct) Hero Parade (ie: Auckland's Pride march).
    I'm not religious myself, but this is what organised religion should and could be.

Posted by: Dan | Dec 17, 2009 9:56:03 PM

8. It's times like these that I'm proud to be a NZder!

Posted by: MooMoo | Dec 17, 2009 11:31:11 PM

9. So cool. I love it! "God is about the power of love." Simple, radical, dangerous idea. My God loves the fact that I love guys, because that's Who I Really Am, which is a spark of the divine. This church sounds awesome.

Posted by: drifterbob | Dec 18, 2009 1:03:25 AM

10. Really cool church, they hold gay/lesbian services (I'm a girl but not a lesbian, but I went to one once), I believe also night clubs for youths and such.

This bilboard is just up the road from my apartment, and right next to my work. I got interviewed on TV about it the day it went up when I walked past it, my response was basically "LOL!" but sadly people have been defacing it...they removed it and put up a new one exactly the same...

One of their other cool bilboards (they asked me about this in the interview but I forgot to mention it) was a rainbow themed one with animals frolicking around saying "Two of every kind" :)

Posted by: Jem | Dec 18, 2009 1:30:09 AM

11. Ahhh Christmas. The one time a year we all gather around and celebrate the impregnation by Rape and Pedophilia of an unseen Mythical Sky Being!

Gotta Love it!

Posted by: New Jersey girl | Dec 18, 2009 12:50:59 PM

12. The bill board was defaced within hours of being erected. As usual evangelicals think they are the only people who have freedom of speech. They are a vile group of hypocrites.

Posted by: MikeK | Dec 21, 2009 2:42:04 AM

13. We need more of the inclusive spirit of this church in the USA!

Posted by: John | Sep 1, 2010 8:51:32 AM