California | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: The Drive to Ban Divorce in California

Divorce

Folks behind the 2010 Marriage Protection Act, which would ban divorce in California, expose the ridiculous arguments of those who want to protect "traditional marriage". Bravo.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via joe.my.god)

Comments

1. OMG THIS IS AMAZING

Posted by: Christopher Pagan | Dec 30, 2009 10:25:54 AM

2. Too bad this was done in LA and all the people are actors...couldn't they have done it for real?

Posted by: adwildcat | Dec 30, 2009 10:26:49 AM

3. That was great!

Posted by: mw1126 | Dec 30, 2009 10:30:52 AM

4. It's fun... and too long. It's about Marketing; think "Karl Rovian" bite-sized media bites.

Posted by: stephen | Dec 30, 2009 11:23:20 AM

5. This is an amazing and hilarious idea -- too bad they rounded up the worst, hammiest actors in the city to absolutely shove home the point. If you make fun of your opponents, instead of just letting the concept express itself, their minds will close and you won't have accomplished anything except making yourself feel better.

Posted by: Dan | Dec 30, 2009 11:40:46 AM

6. What Dan said!

Posted by: Christopher | Dec 30, 2009 12:03:11 PM

7. Dan is right--the idea is great--the execution of the idea not so great.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 30, 2009 12:11:08 PM

8. But the priest!

Posted by: David R. | Dec 30, 2009 12:13:25 PM

9. thirding Dan. It was a nice idea but execution was poor by the whole self-righteous tone of it all.
    Did these people move to Hollywood to make it big? There was better acting back in my high school's drama group. I guess this is why you hear about so many out of work, starving actors! lol

Posted by: TheOtherMark | Dec 30, 2009 12:26:53 PM

10. bad acting

Posted by: misquoti | Dec 30, 2009 1:44:59 PM

11. Yes...forth agreed. But good lord...I LOVE the idea! "They're going to start teaching divorce in schools!" LMAO

Posted by: Joey in CT | Dec 30, 2009 3:16:36 PM

12. Actors or not, I'm all for exposing the right's tripe about protecting "traditional marriages." Love it. :)

Posted by: Gyeong Hwa Pak | Dec 30, 2009 4:00:29 PM

13. Ham

Posted by: Pinky | Dec 30, 2009 7:37:18 PM

14. I agree with STEPHEN. If parts of this were broken up into 10-15 second shorts they could make for some incredibly effective ads against anti-equality measures.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 30, 2009 7:43:48 PM

15. Amazing the comments and attention the bumper sticker on my car gets (One Man, One Woman, One Time - Outlaw Divorce). I had it made to be sarcastic but many people take it seriously and HATE it - they say the government has no business in their marriage. When I ask how they feel about the government denying gays the right to marry the same people try to tell me "that's different". My answer, "either the government is or isn't involved in marriage and personally I'm hoping they get real involved and outlaw divorce".

Posted by: ChrisM | Dec 30, 2009 7:59:27 PM

16. Kudos to all who participated in making this. I think it's great fun--and effective. Armchair critics, see it for what it is. Broad humor coupled with a message. The acting is cartoonish? The bigots and ignoramuses portrayed are themselves caricatures. Hope this gets traction.

Posted by: Conyers | Dec 30, 2009 11:38:40 PM

17. what dan said. this isn't really funny to me, and doesn't get to the insane bs people give. its actors in LA talking to a gay crowd. i prefer max blumenthal's videos.

Posted by: benji | Dec 31, 2009 2:03:09 AM

18. While it is obviously ridiculous to outlaw divorce, it is VERY, VERY relevant to make divorce harder, and make people face the enormity of the effects of their actions when they decide to destroy a spouse and family. All kidding aside, I think senseless divorce is one of the biggest tragedies of our times!

Posted by: Theresa Tarantino | Dec 31, 2009 10:58:50 AM

19. ChrisM is spot on!! May I have one of those bumper stickers? I would gladly add it to my vehicle!! =)

Posted by: Lance | Dec 31, 2009 11:32:45 AM

20. that was kinda dumb and very amateur in a bad way.

Posted by: me | Dec 31, 2009 4:10:37 PM

21. hey chick with the sunglasses who's trying to be "whatever you're trying to be" valley girl/whatever: you're painful. stop bad acting forever.

Posted by: me | Dec 31, 2009 4:12:33 PM

22. Wow,what a bunch of cynics and armchair critics. This is hilarious. I liked the PSAs they made, too.

Posted by: Marc Johnson | Dec 31, 2009 5:22:15 PM

23. ^Lance ... find a way to get me your mailing information and I'll be glad to send a bumper sticker ...

Posted by: ChrisM | Dec 31, 2009 7:51:00 PM

24. This should happen for "real" in every state that has passed anti-samegender marriage laws!

Posted by: Brooks | Dec 31, 2009 8:09:36 PM

25. Wow. Really bad actors. I had to stop watching.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 1, 2010 8:07:33 PM