John Edwards | News

John Edwards Admits Fathering Child with Mistress Rielle Hunter

Enquirer

In a statement to the Today show, John Edwards has admitted paternity of Frances Quinn Hunter, the daughter of Rielle Hunter, his campaign videographer. Above, the National Enquirer spread that first broke the story.

Said Edwards:

“I am Quinn’s father. I will do everything in my power to provide her with the love and support she deserves. I have been able to spend time with her during the past year and trust that future efforts to show her the love and affection she deserves can be done privately and in peace. It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me. I have been providing financial support for Quinn and have reached an agreement with her mother to continue providing support in the future. To all those I have disappointed and hurt these words will never be enough, but I am truly sorry.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. It took him that long to tell the truth? What a scumbag!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 21, 2010 8:25:48 AM

2. Are there ANY non-hypocritical, honest politicians out there? It just seems like they all feel there's a separate behavior code for them versus everyone else. How can you not be cynical about politics?

Posted by: Larry | Jan 21, 2010 8:33:54 AM

3. for me, the morality issue is less troubling than the stupidity issues. how COULD he have been so stupid. on so many counts.

Posted by: jack | Jan 21, 2010 9:01:19 AM

4. agree with Jack.

Posted by: David T | Jan 21, 2010 9:03:38 AM

5. well, we all knew that was coming. The hubris with this guy is beyond amazing.

Please, go away.

Posted by: stephen | Jan 21, 2010 9:17:59 AM

6. Go back to your law practice and take care of your wife and family. You're so not ready for the big leagues. Go away.

Posted by: B-rod | Jan 21, 2010 9:25:18 AM

7. What's tragic is Edwards had more authority than almost any other major Democrat besides Bill Clinton to speak about poverty and working-class people's lives--he grew up in poverty, and worked his way out of it. He's also incredibly knowledgeable about the job prospects of the South. Now, alas, everything that he ever says is going to be tainted, or dismissed as lies & exaggerations. The tragedy is, he did it to himself. (Why do the Dems always get the sex scandals, and Repubs get unsexy things like arms dealing and kickbacks?)

Posted by: Dback | Jan 21, 2010 9:25:36 AM

8. ' It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me.'

That she understands you are a lying whore. The fact that this douche bag could have got the nomination and this could have blown up in his face is disgusting. Had he not run who knows if Hillary would have lost.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 21, 2010 9:29:04 AM

9. You are posting tabloid photos now? Yikes.

Posted by: J | Jan 21, 2010 9:30:49 AM

10. The best comment on this topic was a video done by Jerry O'Connell on Mad TV:

Posted by: Wrecks | Jan 21, 2010 9:47:20 AM

11. Can't decide what's more amazing: that this slimeball tried to become the democratic nominee with this sword of damocles hanging over his head, or that he was one of the top three contenders. Shame on him.

Posted by: Pender | Jan 21, 2010 10:15:06 AM

12. I can't believe I'm typing this but I think the National Enquirer should receive a Pulitzer Prize for its coverage of this story. They held a Presidential candidate to account, and they did so in face of massive MSM opposition. Had Edwards gotten away with this deception, he might have been VP or AG or who knows. My hat goes off to the Enquirer folks.

Posted by: Dan | Jan 21, 2010 11:20:13 AM

13. Lest we not forget that he also opposes Marriage Equality. While it's OK for him to commit adultery, father an illegitimate child, then lie about it for a year, our families still don't count.

Slick Willie, meet Slick Johnny.

Posted by: BradK | Jan 21, 2010 3:35:54 PM