Jimmy Kimmel | Neil Patrick Harris | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Neil Patrick Harris Discusses Title of 'Gay Man of the Decade'

Nph

You may have heard about the Twitter battle royale between John Barrowman and Neil Patrick Harris in AfterElton's recent 'Gay Man of the Decade' poll.

If not, NPH will tell you all about it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What about Sir Ian McKellen? Is this some age thing?

Posted by: Chris | Jan 7, 2010 9:26:05 AM

2. I voted on AfterElton for NPH. For the sheer breadth and diversity of his career (screen, stage, recordings, TV, award-show host, writer, magazine cover boy, publicly "out" face), I think he's the man. David is lucky to have him, and vice-versa! :)

Posted by: Dback | Jan 7, 2010 9:38:46 AM

3. Although I think John Barrowman should've won, I also think he'd be only too glad to stand behind NPH... ;-)

Cheers, JohnH

Posted by: John S. Hall | Jan 7, 2010 10:34:41 AM

4. NPH said "Cold-cocked....." (in be best Beavis and Butthead) hahahahaha. That's cool.

Posted by: SF_Scottie | Jan 7, 2010 11:04:51 AM

5. Sir Ian took a distant 4th behind, most dreadfully, "Other" (Paging Georg Hegel! Come to the pink courtesy phone, Mr. Hegel!). George Takei was behind them both.

McKellan's shadow spans more than a mere decade, though, so perhaps some other far-seeing recognition might be in order.

Posted by: AG | Jan 7, 2010 1:28:43 PM

6. I agree with AG.

Apparently DBACK hasn't heard of Sir Ian, or have the slightest knowledge about his career.

Posted by: ben | Jan 7, 2010 1:30:59 PM

7. NPH is so ... sweet. I wish he'd get caught smoking crack with a tranny hooker or something. :)

Posted by: JohnnyP | Jan 7, 2010 2:51:34 PM

8. NPH is so adorable!

Posted by: sparks | Jan 7, 2010 3:01:12 PM

9. He is sooooo cute!

Posted by: Shae | Jan 7, 2010 4:11:27 PM

10. I think it is about time NPH won something. It is time for Golden Globes and Emmy's to take some notice!!!

I like Barrowman, but think that NPH is equivalent or higher. NPH is extremely versatile (OK I don't know about his personal life, we'd have to ask David), but he is well deserving of any award he is nominated for.

Now, just to get him and Broadway's Nick Adams together for a stint on Bway, WHOAA!!!

Posted by: CB | Jan 7, 2010 4:34:31 PM

11. The world is overdue on some NPH photos a la Dustin Lance Black leaking out.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Jan 7, 2010 5:17:14 PM

12. Um, CB, NPH *has* won an Emmy, for his work on How I Met Your Mother. He just didn't win the previous one, when he hosted the show (he won the one before it). But, I agree: He should win more of them in the future.

As for "Gay Man of the Decade," I have to say, I very much agree with him winning (though I didn't know about the actual contest). While he's not the only one who's done amazing work, I think he's done by far the most to push the envelope in proving that a gay man can be very successful whilst being open in Hollywood, especially while playing straight parts (piggishly so, even).

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 7, 2010 5:17:37 PM

13. NPH is the most important gay man in the universe. He's bigger than mickey rooney! Literally...

Posted by: TANK | Jan 7, 2010 5:22:17 PM

14. @Ryan...unfortunately, you are incorrect (I wish you weren't), but NPH has never won an Emmy (he has been nominated the last three years, but never won), nor has he ever won a Golden Globe, but has numerous nominations. He won a People's Choice back in 1990, but of the 'biggies', he has never won an award.

Posted by: CB | Jan 7, 2010 6:34:39 PM

15. He's even bigger than Andy Rooney.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Jan 7, 2010 6:38:32 PM

16. Ben, of course I'm familiar with Ian McKellen. He's a brilliant actor, and the linchpin of two of the most profitable and widely-seen film series of all time. He's also staggeringly eloquent. However, I voted for NPH based on the diversity of his talents--though McKellen is an acclaimed stage actor, most people haven't had the privilege of seeing him there, and he's done little TV work in America. He also doesn't have a strong internet presence. Is he a more talented dramatic actor than NPH? Quite possibly. But the question was regarding overall gay impact--implying across a variety of fields--and thus I went with Neil.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 7, 2010 7:35:58 PM

17. Maybe it's just me, but NPH didn't seem all that excited to win. Plus he left out that he fired the first shot of the battle by joking that he'd like to be on top of Barroman. Again, maybe it's just me, but something seemed a bit...off.

Posted by: kybarsfang | Jan 8, 2010 2:48:43 AM