Alabama | Chicago | Gareth Thomas | GLAAD | Haiti | Hockey | Hotels | Illinois | Italy | Madonna | News | Prince Harry | Rosie O'Donnell | Zachary Quinto

BigGayDeal.com

News: Gareth Thomas, Alcatraz, Zachary Quinto, Coral Reefs

road Openly gay Illinois Senate candidate Jacob Meister drops out, endorses opponent. Illinois gubernatorial candidate Dan Hynes makes stop in Boystown.

Alcatraz  roadHotel proposed for Alcatraz. "Overnight visitors would not stay in the main cell block but in Building 64, formerly used to house guards. The building, on the east side of the island, has spectacular views of Berkeley and the East Bay hills. The proposal would also let visitors camp on the island."

roadPrince Harry's hips don't lie.

roadGLAAD: CBS needs to improve on LGBT inclusion.

roadThe worst: Razzie nominations announced.

roadZachary Quinto to play George Gershwin in Stephen Spielberg biopic.

road4,000 Americans still missing in Haiti: "Is this being under-reported because it's too painful? Is it because of racism? Is it because of lack of information?"

Thomas roadGay Welsh rugby player Gareth Thomas hosts coming out party: "'Everybody here tonight is celebrating that the world is changing,' Thomas said, 'We are here to send the message that it's OK to be a sportsman and it is also OK to be gay.' In a show of solidarity, Thomas’ rugby team-mates and supporters joined him at the party. Stars like Will Young and Graham Norton were also present. British gay activist Peter Tatchell praised Thomas and said he hoped other sportsmen would follow his example. 'If more top-class professional sportspeople came out as Gareth has done they would win huge amounts of public respect for their honesty and courage,' he said."

roadChip off the old block: Is the Moon the result of a nuclear explosion on Earth?

roadAspen match-up spells victory for gay hockey team: "A team of elite, gay, ice hockey all-stars from across North America defeated a team of elite, international, heterosexual players on January 20 in Aspen, Colo., in what has become one of the most popular attractions at the annual Aspen Gay Ski Week."

Phallus  roadCloaked phallus erected on University of Alabama campus.

roadAmerican Family Association radio host thinks it's time to imprison all gays: "The bottom line here is that, biblically, those 'who practice homosexuality' should come under the purview of the law just as much as those who take people captive in order to sell them into slavery."

roadMale model fix: Jeremy Dufour.

roadMadonna and somebody else's face step out in London.

roadCoral reefs freeze to death in South Florida.

roadNoH8 goes Italian!

roadRosie O'Donnell talks to the L.A. Times: "Kelli and I are still close. Like many gay families that I know, gay women especially who have children together, we remain friends. Not that heterosexual people don't or can't do it, but every gay woman I know is friends with her exes, and they're involved with their lives in some capacity. Kelli is a big part of what made this family so amazing and what continues to."

Veronica Doe: More anti-LGBT activity from the TSA and Federal Air Marshals.

Comments

1. correction: Gareth Thomas is a Welsh rugby player, not Irish. thanks.

Posted by: Candace Gingrich-Jones | Feb 1, 2010 2:56:22 PM

2. Welsh not Irish.

It is really important to refer to Europeans by their correct tribal affiliations. They get really defensive about it too.

Even New Yorkers get really defensive about it. I misplaced a couple vowels once, and lets just say my friend was not amused:

"I'm ITALIAN not SPANISH. Do I look Spanish to you?"

Recognizing that the time for honesty had long past, I assured him that any similarities are purely superficial.

Posted by: John | Feb 1, 2010 3:17:19 PM

3. Gareth Thomas is gorgeous and ginger but he is Welsh, by nationality, not merely "tribal affiliation," whatever that's supposed to mean. I mean to say.

Canadian's aren't Canadian by "tribal affiliation" nor are Americans, Brazilians, etc. So no need to patronize others because you can't tell the difference yourself, John.

Gareth Thomas is distinguished sportsman and a hottie. Any country would be glad to claim him.

Posted by: elcamino | Feb 1, 2010 3:45:38 PM

4. @John: it's utter rubbish to suggest national identity doesn't matter today, its of crucial importance. Wars are fought over it and rugby players are a key symbol of national pride.

Posted by: Sean R | Feb 1, 2010 3:51:53 PM

5. The story about Alcatraz is from June 2008, and that development will never happen.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 1, 2010 3:52:22 PM

6. Blah blah blah. People thought my papa was puerto rican throughout his twenties and thirties in nyc. he's jewish. It was a laugh. And Gareth Thomas waited until retirement to come out...total wimp and no role model, irish or welsh.

Rosie odonnell on curb was funny. "Stand back, ladies--I'll handle this" And the AMA radio host is just as much a "true" christian as jesus himself.

LOL! Wendy Wheelchair!

Posted by: TANK | Feb 1, 2010 3:59:27 PM

7. John, I guess we Europeans should learn from our American friends. Americans, of course, are not at all tribalistic, chauvanistic, nationalistic, etc.

Posted by: Dutchguytoo | Feb 1, 2010 4:02:39 PM

8. Tank- Gareth Thomas is not retired. He continues to play with the Welsh side Cardiff Blues and scored in a match as recently as Jan 24.

Posted by: Candace | Feb 1, 2010 4:16:47 PM

9. "The 35-year-old retired from internationals after the 2007 World Cup, but still plays for Welsh provincial side Cardiff Blues."

Okay, basically retired. Whoops...

Posted by: TANK | Feb 1, 2010 4:27:59 PM

10. Cheers to the gay hockey team for winning. More gay people need to adopt a winning attitude instead of being passive, letting things happen to you.

Posted by: Brodie | Feb 1, 2010 4:30:48 PM

11. "Georger Gershwin was gay. Will the movie be open about Gershwin's homosexuality?"

I don't think anyone has ever been able to prove that, BRODIE. It's not like Cole Porter, Aaron Copeland, Stephen Sondheim, etc. Gershwin's gayness is hard to prove.

Was Johnny Mercer gay? I know--google it, right?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 1, 2010 4:46:10 PM

12. @TANK: You can be both Jewish and Puerto Rican. Judaism is a religion that any person of any race, ethnicity, and/or nationality can adhere to, and there are more Jews in Puerto Rico than anywhere else in the Caribbean.

Posted by: Thomasina | Feb 1, 2010 5:24:55 PM

13. Yeah...that's true. Judaism is a religion. Don't know too many black jews or irish looking jews...or even hispanic jews... So, if there are more jews in peurto rico than anywhere else in the caribbean, I guess that brings the number to three? LOL! BTW, jewdar is more than just a figment of my imagination. And there's a look.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 1, 2010 5:34:05 PM

14. Oh dear.

Posted by: elcamino | Feb 1, 2010 5:40:05 PM

15. I went to school with a Cuban Jew in high school. I also know a Venezuelan Jew. There are plenty of Latino Jews out there.

And god knows, if you get UBER technical, some of us are still Jewish because we can trace our matrilineal lines all the way to Spain circa the Inquisition and find some Jewish blood there.

And all my Jewish friends always tell me that as a Cuban I'm an honorary Jew because for some reason Cubans are considered the Jews of Latin America. Someone explain that to me.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 1, 2010 5:44:35 PM

16. Yeah..."plenty of latino jews". LOL! Everyone's jewish! That sounds so painfully goy! There is actually a jewish population in honduras, and ironically they get along well with the palestinian population there, too. But "significant" population...c'mon. LOL! Everything's subjective...except things that aren't.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 1, 2010 5:52:33 PM

17. Um, people. Jew as an ethnicity is traced through the Matrilineal descent. One doesn't need to practice Judaism to be an ethnic Jew.

Posted by: Gyeong Hwa Pak | Feb 1, 2010 6:25:16 PM

18. Alex : Someone once told me it's because the Cubans were considered the smartest with money. Or the craftiest (depending on whether it's a compliment or an insult). I'm not saying that's definite, but that's what one Cuban told me.

Posted by: JT | Feb 1, 2010 6:46:56 PM

19. And I was told that it was because Cubans, like Jews, suffered under suffocating domestic leadership or foreign domination, and so often were compelled to relocate from their homeland.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 1, 2010 10:23:24 PM

20. "Jew as an ethnicity is traced through the Matrilineal descent."

Posted by: David R. | Feb 2, 2010 2:11:31 AM

21. I guess that should be "between matrilineal AND patrilineal". My bad. I did go to grad school and all.

Posted by: David R. | Feb 2, 2010 2:13:02 AM

22. "One doesn't need to practice Judaism to be an ethnic Jew." Very true, nor does one need to be ethnically Jewish to practice Judaism."

Perhaps you misunderstand. I'll make that clear for you. I'm a stone cold atheist, and have been since the age of 7-8. If I were alive during the reign of the third reich, and lived in Germany, I'd be considered a jew. Someone whose parents converted to judaism from, say, christianity wouldn't necessarily be (parents, not grandparents). And those who converted to judaism themselves might be executed, but not because they were considered jewish, but traitors to the "aryan race".

"(And TANK, I'm an Irish-looking Jew who has a black-ish Jewish friend and had a Mexican Jewish classmate in grad school.)"

There are exceptions; I never stated otherwise. My father looks hispanic, not jewish. But this is not common. In the united states, jews are not as racially, culturally, and ethnically diverse as you're trying to imply...quite the opposite, actually.

"Many Jews don't distinguish between matrilineal or patrilineal descent for ethnic ties."

Jews for jesus? LOL!