I'm Gay | News | Oklahoma

BigGayDeal.com

Man Sues Oklahoma for 'I'm Gay' License Plate

Oklahoman Keith Kimmel is suing the state of Oklahoma for a license plate that reads "IM GAY", the Oklahoman reports:

Kimmel  "The Oklahoma Tax Commission turned Kimmel down last year because of an internal rule against special license tags that 'may be offensive to the general public.' Kimmel points out officials allowed tags such as STR8FAN and STR8SXI. 'They defended using ‘straight sexy.’ … They didn’t think that one was inappropriate but yet ‘I’m gay’ is. I think it’s kind of a double standard,' said Kimmel, a political science/pre-law student at Oklahoma City Community College. In his lawsuit, filed Wednesday, Kimmel asks Oklahoma County District Judge Noma Gurich to order tax officials to grant his application for the IM GAY tag. His attorney contends the Tax Commission’s rule violates the Oklahoma Constitution’s guarantee of free speech."

Watch an interview with Kimmel, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. DIOS MIO, THIS MAN IS OBVIOUSLY SUICIDAL AND VERY STUPID.

BETTER TO SAVE YOUR MONEY AND MOVE TO SAN FRANCISCO.

HAPPY ST. VALENTINES DAY TO ALL MY FRIENDS. DIOS TE BENDIGA.

Posted by: SISTER MARIA EVANGELICA MAMMACULOS | Feb 13, 2010 11:14:38 AM

2. Howabout "IMA SLOB"

Posted by: Fat Cock | Feb 13, 2010 11:20:09 AM

3. I found Waldo...

Posted by: John | Feb 13, 2010 11:40:02 AM

4. Hmm so let's criticize the guy because he's willing to put it out there. Typical eat our own glbt behavior.

Posted by: Joeguy | Feb 13, 2010 12:08:24 PM

5. You stupid Fucks. This guy is pointing out an obvious unlawful double standard and willing to have God only knows what happen to him and all you Bitchez can do is snark.

Losers.

Good for you guy! Only by attacking the various constitutional inequities we face and challenging them in the courts will we finally get some equality. Well, that and a healthy dose of civil disobedience.

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Feb 13, 2010 12:25:48 PM

6. Personally, I'd not get a license plate like that as I don't see the need to broadcast to the entire world. That kinda stuff stopped being necessary to me many, many years ago along with rainbow flags and whatnot.

But the guy has a point. If I can go to the DMV and get a plate about my religion, my fave sports team or band, or my favorite past time, I don't see how you can fairly say a plate like "IM GAY" is all that offensive. It is a double standard.

Posted by: DR | Feb 13, 2010 12:45:08 PM

7. With so much anti-gay rhetoric coming from Oklahoma it takes quite a bit of courage to fight a battle like this. While people from other areas of the country may see this as a miniscule fight he is doing exactly what Derek pointed out, he is making people think.

And in Oklahoma rarely are they forced to think about the discrimination against homosexuals.

Posted by: Blaz | Feb 13, 2010 12:55:42 PM

8. It's not a matter of whether you would get such a license plate ....
    It's not a matter of broadcasting....etc.
    It's a much more simple point; There should not be double standards or one law for straights and another for gays.
    It's about equality.
    Good for this protester.
    The very act of bringing the authorities to court to force the law to be administered impartially and equally to all citizens is a great service to the entire community, gay and straight.
    Everyone has an interest in seeing the law upheld .
    (Are you reading this Mr.Woo/Bybee ? assholes !)

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 13, 2010 12:56:59 PM

9. DR, who cares what you'd personally do? Personally, you'd stay in the closet and marry some fat cow to sustain the illusion of heterosexuality. Personally...so clearly no one with an interest in having a healthy, happy life should follow your lead.

That said, "I'm gay", can mean "I'm stupid" given the shift in popular meaning.
    This guy looks like fat will sasso. Perhaps he should get an I'm dieting.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 13, 2010 12:58:22 PM

10. hey -
    It might be easier for some of us to get a Celebrate Diversity bumper sticker or a rainbow pinstripe, but this guy has a point.

To say plainly IM GAY is not actually disturbing or obscene. I have seen license plates that verge on the obscene many times. DRNKR was one! Talk about asking for police harassment. If authorities allow personal statements on plates at all I'm actually surprised that it was not denied because it was already issued!

In fact I'm wondering if one was to search every state and province in N.America if the authorities had already issued one in another jurisdiction. Maybe we could help his case!

Gimme a break.

And for all those folks who are offended by his statement, well... Maybe you don't like that he's no poster boi queer, but who is actually? And what is the difference between him and all those who drive around in Subaru's and VW's with rainbow flag bumper stickers?

One thing is... he's got balls. That's all I can say.

Posted by: Jason | Feb 13, 2010 1:16:04 PM

11. Tank, seriously, grow up. The constant need to fight with everyone who doesn't agree with you is getting sadder by the minute.

Just because I don't feel the need to walk around in rainbow drag every day does not make me some self-loathing closet case, your failed attempts at armchair psych 101 notwithstanding.

At least I'm not making dumb personal attacks, Tank. Really mature and supportive to call him fat and suggest he get a plate encouraging him to diet. Really, way to show your support. Bravo.

Posted by: DR | Feb 13, 2010 1:22:31 PM

12. It's not just that you don't agree with me, DR, it's that you constantly defend homophobes and the closet, and side with the opposition. And rainbow drag? Please...you like the fact that no one knows that you're gay, and go out of your way to preserve that false assumption. But I wouldn't call our exchanges in the past "fighting" or even arguing; you're just demonstrably wrong.

And he should go on a diet for his health. It's just not good for him to be walking around with a couple extra people on his frame. He could be like jerad. But this prohibition is pretty unfair and entirely homophobic.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 13, 2010 1:39:07 PM

13. IM IMPRSD
    NCE JB

Ad Hominem attacks on Kimmel are extremely off topic. Good for you Mr. Kimmel - you have my full support.

Posted by: Quint King | Feb 13, 2010 1:48:44 PM

14. Good for him.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Feb 13, 2010 2:28:38 PM

15. Why does homophobia continue to surprise us? This man has a valid concern. Good for him for hanging himself out there and standing up for his rights.

Posted by: Tone | Feb 13, 2010 2:36:32 PM

16. More power to him. I don't walk around in a rainbow flag either, but I applaud those who, regardless of how "out" they are, understand the need to fight discrimination everywhere. You guys criticizing him can just sit back while the grown ups do the work.

Posted by: David T | Feb 13, 2010 2:44:38 PM

17. Tank, I defend the rights of people to speak, whether I agree with them or not. Unlike you, I do not believe it's appropriate to throw a temper tantrum every time someone disagrees with me and then make unfounded personal attacks when they don't.

You represent the worst of us. The Politically Correct Thug who thinks that by shouting the loudest and calling people names, you'll accomplish something. Sadly, the only thing you accomplish is looking like a fool.

Posted by: DR | Feb 13, 2010 3:29:25 PM

18. at 2:20, "It's half a dozen of one, two dozen of another."?

The Bush disease seems to originate in Oklahoma. The phrase is "six of one, half dozen of another".

That said, "I'm gay" is a simple statement of fact about himself, not even taking a position pro or con, so he should be able to put it on his plate.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 13, 2010 3:30:01 PM

19. "Tank, I defend the rights of people to speak, whether I agree with them or not."

Except when they disagree with you. But this has nothing to do with the rights of people to speak, nor has it ever concerned that. As I said, I think this guy's doing a just service to the community by sticking up for what's right...he could do that minus fifty lbs, too.

"Unlike you, I do not believe it's appropriate to throw a temper tantrum every time someone disagrees with me and then make unfounded personal attacks when they don't."

Isn't that what you're doing, though?

"You represent the worst of us."

Yeah, probly.

"The Politically Correct Thug who thinks that by shouting the loudest and calling people names, you'll accomplish something."

Me, politically correct? Oh, that's good. Thank you. Thank you for the compliment. I'm sure just about everyone else but you disagrees, which just goes to show how backward you really are. The names are merely the icing on the cake for me. I don't do it unless I've got an argument to make. It's a coping mechanism, really, enabling me to deal with others legally.

"Sadly, the only thing you accomplish is looking like a fool."

Well I'm be damned.

"Enjoy your bitter world, Tank. I'm glad I'm not a part of it, because it's an ugly and ignorant place to be."

LOL! I'll enjoy my world, citizen! You're not part of my world...though we communicate through interdimensional hyperspace somehow. I'm sure Keith Kimmel could tell us more about that given what an avid comic book fan he appears to be.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 13, 2010 3:41:45 PM

20. He's going to make an excellent lawyer.

How about a plate like this: IM1RU12

Would they issue IM NOT GAY? or how about NOT STR8 ? This case could be lots of fun.

Posted by: jesse james | Feb 13, 2010 4:54:18 PM

21. I'm from Okla City also and I applaud his stance. He may not be the quote "stero type" for most gays. Get over it. He's gay and will stand up for being gay. How many others say that there gay but don't stand up for their beliefs. Go Keith....

Posted by: kent | Feb 13, 2010 6:18:17 PM

22. Aye! What rock do some of you kids crawl out from under? Typical poor, mouthy Internet etiquette. Who's to say what motivated Kimmel; might be reclaiming his personal power after being harrassed. Perhaps he's just the activist so many of you never had the balls to be.

Posted by: Vince B. | Feb 13, 2010 6:29:31 PM

23. It's always good to see somebody giving the good fight. I wish him the best of luck.

Posted by: Lis | Feb 13, 2010 7:05:22 PM

24. slam dunk, he's right.....oh, but wait, he's in podunk, good night.

Posted by: normadesmond | Feb 13, 2010 7:50:51 PM

25. I know Keith and his attorney, Brittany Novotny. I also attended his hearing before the tax commission referee which the tax commssion has choosen to ignore. leading to his state lawsuit. I think he's given an accurate review of his case.
    If anyone can win this case, Keith and Novotny will do it.

Posted by: jamesnimmo | Feb 13, 2010 11:11:33 PM