Education | Gay Parents | Iowa | News | Raynard Kington

Openly Gay Black Man with Kids Named Grinnell College President

Kington

Raynard Kington, the deputy director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and a leading scientific researcher on the role of social factors as determinants of health, has been named the next president of Grinnell College in Iowa.

He'll begin the job on August 1.

From a press release: "Dr. Kington; his partner, Peter T. Daniolos M.D., a child psychiatrist at Children's National Medical Center and George Washington University; and their two young children plan to move to Grinnell during the summer and occupy the president's home at the college. Grinnell College is a nationally recognized, private, four-year, liberal arts college located in Grinnell, Iowa. Founded in 1846, Grinnell enrolls 1,600 students from all 50 states and from as many international countries in more than 26 major fields, interdisciplinary concentrations, and pre-professional programs."

Congrats to Kington, his family, and Grinnell.

Kington acknowledged his partner and children (including 4-year-old son Emerson, above) at a surprise announcement regarding his presidency at the college.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via rod 2.0)

Comments

1. Just another reason to love Iowa. Bravo!

Posted by: MikeMick | Feb 18, 2010 11:01:57 AM

2. "Is this heaven?"

"No. it's Iowa."

"I could have sworn this was heaven..."

Posted by: Hank | Feb 18, 2010 11:15:43 AM

3. I got an e-mail from the NIH yesterday announcing this. Of course, they managed to not mention any of his personal biographical info, which is customary at the end of these sorts of announcements.

Posted by: Jeff In Boston | Feb 18, 2010 11:20:51 AM

4. Yea! I love my alma mater!

Posted by: carrma | Feb 18, 2010 11:47:04 AM

5. so are they gonna get married? they don't have to, of course; but it'd an even cuter story.

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Feb 18, 2010 12:32:11 PM

6. Great video. Great family. Very happy for Grinnell College.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 18, 2010 1:48:50 PM

7. I loved Grinnell as a student; it was a wonderful place for me to grow into myself - it espoused intellectual advancement, inclusion and an opennes that has been with me my entire life. I'm so proud!

Posted by: Another Alum | Feb 18, 2010 2:39:51 PM

8. Now that is what I'm talking about !!

Posted by: Chapeau | Feb 19, 2010 12:52:31 AM

9. @Jeff -- You should not be surprised. Dr. Collins the new NIH director is a hateful born again "Christian" and homophobic bigot. He has polished and successfully sold the Granfather scientist image which is all a fraud. I would not be surprised to learn that reason the NIH is losing such a wonderful scientist like Dr. Kington is simply because he is gay and being black didn't help him. NIH is not nicknamed named the plantation for nothing.

Posted by: gyro | Feb 19, 2010 7:28:17 PM

10. I designed the interior furnishings of their new home, the President's house provided by the university. Two of the nicest guys ever. Impossible to not love them.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 29, 2010 4:06:02 PM

11. I spent some of my most formative years as a student at Grinnell. I came into my own in an inclusive environment that gave me a voice and the means to use it. I miss Grinnell but am glad that it continues it's legacy of social justice and intellectual advancement.

Posted by: bemardus | Nov 29, 2010 11:44:19 PM