Gay Parents | News | Playing Gay | Sci Fi | Television

Watch: Gay Married Couple Featured on SyFy's Caprica

Caprica

Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica, showing on SyFy, features a character named Sam Adama (Sasha Roiz, left) who belongs to an organized crime unit. He's also married and gay, a facet of his life which the show revealed quite casually over the weekend.

Watch the scene, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He doesn't have kids. That's his nephew (who actually asks him why he doesn't have his own kids and he says because his work is too dangerous.)

Posted by: unruly | Feb 8, 2010 9:52:21 AM

2. @Unruly, you beat me to the punch. Thank god this is a show that is being reported on and not actual news that matters.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 8, 2010 9:55:18 AM

3. I have thus far refused to watch Caprica since having to replace my smashed television and listen to my partner scream like a raped banshee, "THEY'RE FRAKKING ANGELS?! FUCK YOU, RON MOORE!" My ears are still ringing from that.

But this scene intrigues me.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 8, 2010 10:12:30 AM

4. Matt, thank God uptight bitches like you are around to look down on the rest of us. Towleroad is not a "news" site. It covers all aspects of the community.

Feel free to fuck off.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 8, 2010 10:15:56 AM

5. They've been pretty slick about putting the gay content in there. In a previous episode the Sam character was telling his nephew how his father used to go to the market to hit on all the girls while he would try to pick up their brothers. I remember sitting there and asking: "Wait. What!?"

Also, there is a female character that is in a group bisexual marriage with multiple husbands and wives.

Posted by: Jared | Feb 8, 2010 10:18:35 AM

6. Apparently though, no homosexual survive the Cylon attack to occur many years later. I mean, do you remember ONE gay or lesbian character during the entire BG run?

And yes also -- ANGELS. Fucking angels.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 8, 2010 10:34:28 AM

7. ^ Outside, of course, of Michelle Forbes' lesbian commander, who gets assassinated by a Cylon.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 8, 2010 10:35:38 AM

8. @ gregoire:

Also, Gaeta was revealed to be gay and had a boyfriend (however, that was only revealed in the webisodes - cheap, I know).

Posted by: Tonic | Feb 8, 2010 10:49:40 AM

9. Gregoire, you forgot Lt. Felix Gaeta, though granted they played that pretty quiet.

Unruly, Andy didn't say that Sam Adama had kids, he said that Sam was married.

Crispy and Gregoire, if you watch even the Pilot for show, you'll that "Angels" isn't the right word at all. It seems like the prequel is clearing up a few things.

Posted by: Clay | Feb 8, 2010 10:49:44 AM

10. ^ And don't forget Felix Gaeta and Lt. Hoshi...

Posted by: John S. Hall | Feb 8, 2010 10:50:59 AM

11. Besides Admiral Helena Cain; there was Gaeta and Hoshi; though those were the webisodes and included on the DVD's; so yes, there was a member of the Galactica bridge crew who was gay in a relationship with another Galactica officer.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 8, 2010 10:52:01 AM

12. so far Im really liking CAPRICA... and its Cylon Beginnings...and the "Trinity"....and of course how they show Religion and in ALL its Fanatics related to it.....so in the Caprica Universe / BSG they beleive in "The Gods"...and the Fanatics ONLY beleive in ONE God? hmmmmm,and they had to Blow up a Trasit Train and kill hundreds to prove thier God is better.. (sound familiar?) ..I really like how they are dealing with the Zoey/Cylon/holographic character storyline.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 8, 2010 11:15:09 AM

13. @Clay

Originally the post said he had kids. It was edited by Andy after my post to correct for the misstatement.

Posted by: unruly | Feb 8, 2010 12:00:34 PM

14. Love it!

Posted by: Aerelonian | Feb 8, 2010 12:04:32 PM

15. It's interesting in-retrospect how "dumbed-down" the Galactica's electronics and computer systems were....to be reduced from immersion holographics down to voice-only crystal sets and hard-wired handsets.

I just caught it briefly...was that group marriage heterosexual or bisexual? I wonder if such a strucre would have a social and sexual heirachy, or be like a 1960' free "love commune"?

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Feb 8, 2010 12:24:46 PM

16. The Actor tthat plays the husband is Julius Chapple , he's kinda hot!

Posted by: zeitgeist | Feb 8, 2010 12:44:30 PM

17. Of course, because Caprica later "falls", they get to play both angles and say that they had it coming for their sins. Sodom and Gomorrah, anyone?

Posted by: anon | Feb 8, 2010 12:52:16 PM

18. I'm going to put the Hallmark Card comment on here, just 'cause I think someone should emote at least a little bit.
    The scene with Sam and his husband is pretty much my view of nirvana for the social presence I've always wanted to see gays have in poplar media. Gays being just as domestic and boring(-appearing) as everyone else in their community, but treated just the same, not as outcasts. I know this is sci-fi (and Syfy), but it did make me pretty happy to see "the gay thing" actually not matter in terms of how characters who-happen-to-be-gay are portrayed on screen.

Posted by: torrentprime | Feb 8, 2010 12:53:19 PM

19. Will Caprica rank up there with Torchwood for how they portray sexuality?

I'm not sure about the bi/group marriage comments, according to Blankenhorn, the Prop 8 expert, each time the man marries, it is a marriage between ''one man and one woman.''

Posted by: Eric | Feb 8, 2010 5:07:00 PM

20. I've really put off getting into Caprica, because of how RDM ended BSG, but if Caprica comes close to explaining the mindfuck ('scuse my french) that was the BSG finale then I might just give it a shot. A gay character only sweetens the deal.

Posted by: Leonard | Feb 8, 2010 5:25:05 PM

21. NERDS.

Just kidding, I never watched BSG, but am rather enjoying Caprica. They did say however they were tailoring it to get more female viewers than BSG and since I'm a big gay I guess that explains it.

Sam is MF hot.

Posted by: Bizzle | Feb 8, 2010 6:01:11 PM

22. The Adama family is Mafia.

The Adama brother is Gay - Gay Mafia.

The underage Adama is 'recruited' to a life of crime.

The Gay Mafia invite the underage Adama back home to 'have a beer'.

Real World Translation;

Militiant Married Homosexuals will recruit young boys into lives of crime.

As a Married Gay Male myself, I would like syfy to reply to this observation. Why did you make us look so bad?

Posted by: Tolver | Feb 8, 2010 6:34:53 PM

23. @Tolver - Seriously? Are you that paranoid? You are trying to place conspiracy where there is none. Sam Adama is merely trying to teach his nephew what it means to be Taurean, and the thug/mafia aspect just happens to be something that both he and his brother are wrapped up in. Joseph is so consumed with the death of his wife and his oldest daughter, he is totally neglecting the raising of his remaining child, which by the way is a leitmotif continued in BSG with the death of Zack Adama and William and Lee's strained relationship.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

Posted by: Nick | Feb 8, 2010 8:04:45 PM

24. Nick, Tolver has a point... like the anti-Obama message of 'V' the re imagining. Of course, given Tolver's last line Tolver could just be being sarcastic ;)

Speaking of 'V'... I really really wish it had been bought and produced for cable, instead of network television. Caprica (let alone BS:G) would have never survived and thrived on network tv. 'V' could have explored many issues without having to dumb it down and rush things, which is too bad because Alan Tudyk and Morris Chestnut were the best thing to come out of 'V'. We'll hopefully see more of Tudyk in other things; but where can Chestnut go?

Posted by: zeta | Feb 8, 2010 11:33:45 PM

25. @Nick - Seriously. Do you think the anti-gay forces are blind to this interpertation? I wonder at the politics that would allow this sort of thinly veiled stereotyping to be shown to the public. If we accept this lable now then we will be forever haunted by it. My opinion.

Posted by: Tolver | Feb 9, 2010 12:57:54 AM