Bruce LaBruce | Gay Marriage | Karl Lagerfeld | News

Karl Lagerfeld 'Against' the Idea of Gay Marriage

Lagerfeld

An interview with Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld by filmmaker Bruce LaBruce in the current issue of VICE magazine touches briefly on the subject of same-sex marriage. Lagerfeld doesn't believe in it.

LABRUCE: You are against the idea of gay marriage. I totally agree with you on that.
LAGERFELD: Yes, I’m against it for a very simple reason: In the 60s they all said we had the right to the difference. And now, suddenly, they want a bourgeois life.

LABRUCE: It’s normalizing.
LAGERFELD: For me it’s difficult to imagine—one of the papas at work and the other at home with the baby. How would that be for the baby? I don’t know. I see more lesbians married with babies than I see boys married with babies. And I also believe more in the relationship between mother and child than in that between father and child.

LABRUCE: I take it you don’t want children.
LAGERFELD: If I were interested in children, I would be a godfather—or a godmother. I don’t like the idea of taking people out of their lives and their contexts. If there were a child I wanted to adopt, I would try to find the family of the child and give them the money for an education in his life and his context.

Lagerfeld also says he is ignorant of homophobic violence: "I never met anything like this in my life. I had an overprotected life. What can I fight about? I don’t know what to do. It never happened to me, and it never happened to people I know."

Comments

1. Well, he's a complete fucking idiot. So there's that.

Posted by: ryan | Mar 16, 2010 5:51:47 PM

2. Vapid comments from someone so shut off from the real world of every day problems, discrimination and violence. He should be grateful but people of such privilege rarely are, they instead want to know why others fuss so much.

Posted by: Anders | Mar 16, 2010 5:55:40 PM

3. Seriously! Who gives a rats ass what this has-been thinks? Man, why can't he just die already?

Posted by: Rob | Mar 16, 2010 5:57:21 PM

4. Sigh... it sucks as a black man that I'm forced to live this bourgeois life with rights to equal education, pay, marriage etc...Man I wish it were the 60s.

Posted by: Robert | Mar 16, 2010 5:57:38 PM

5. Out of touch rich guy talks about things he knows nothing about and that do not affect him.

Posted by: shivadog | Mar 16, 2010 5:58:51 PM

6. As if his most recent collection for Chanel where he made every model look like a goddamn Yeti wasn't proof enough that Grandma Karl has completely lost touch with anything resembling reality.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Mar 16, 2010 6:00:21 PM

7. It makes you want to educate him on gay violence...

Him and LaBruce are both idiotic for implying they're against marriage equality (it's possible both are saying they personally wouldn't get married and don't like marriage, but it's not at all clear). There are plenty of things I want to be legal that I am personally not interested in doing.

The stuff about children is 10 times more insulting and ignorant. Dolce & Gabbana said the same bullshit a few years ago. These people are so out of touch with reality and don't deserve to be supported in any way.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Mar 16, 2010 6:01:42 PM

8. It's a shame that someone so innovative can sound so out of touch.

Why's it so difficult to believe that two consenting adults -- regardless of gender -- can make a decision to spend their lives together? Individual choice and freewill isn't generational, nor does it ever go extinct.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 16, 2010 6:02:16 PM

9. Karl Lagerfeld is whining about those gays that want to live a bourgie lifestyle.

KARL LAGERFELD?

He would have been 100% correct if he had taken that "of homophobic violence" phrase off of that one sentence.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 16, 2010 6:02:22 PM

10. Yet two more big gay bitches who think that every gay man on the planet should be leading their idea of a "gay life."
    La Bruce says it's "normalizing." That's because being gay IS normal. And the more people learn this, the less innocent men and women will be beaten in the streets. What a vapid, uninformed, cruel thing to say.
    And Lagerfeld--isn't that dried up old cunt dead yet?

Posted by: TPL | Mar 16, 2010 6:03:14 PM

11. STFU Grandma! Nobody gives 2 shits what you think you old fuckin' nazi! Go get your slaves to make some more ugly fuckin' dresses! I swear, these old pretentious entitled queens make me vomit.

Posted by: wtf | Mar 16, 2010 6:03:34 PM

12. So based on this opinion unless you have personally been raped or been beaten up or been fired for being gay this gives you the right to be ignorant, right?

Maybe it's a blessing he never was a breader.

Isn't it fascinating to listen to ignorance? It is why I love reality shows.

How old is this fossil? tick, tick, tick. His time is running out.

Posted by: Dawson | Mar 16, 2010 6:05:12 PM

13. These kind of comments just boggle my mind. How any educated person can say something like that is beyond me.

I personally never want to be married, ever....but we sure as hell should have the option if we choose it!

Posted by: mb | Mar 16, 2010 6:07:48 PM

14. Karl, sweetie -

Having the right to do something is not the same thing as having the obligation to do something. Perhaps a Berlitz refresher course is in order?

That's all.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 16, 2010 6:10:59 PM

15. Two words come to mind, selfish and insular. Oh ... and boob.

Posted by: Tom | Mar 16, 2010 6:11:53 PM

16. Thank you Herr Lagerfeld for your comment; and thank you for underscoring your life's protected and assimilated status. While I would agree with him that fight for Same-sex relationship civil rights stems from the right to be different. I would assert the only way to secure the "difference" is to secure all rights and not to be marginalized. While I can acknowledge his creative brilliance, I believe he has tread into a realm that is way out of his league. While he does have the right to his opinion, I hope he would understand the power of his voice and might in future choose his interview comments carefully. He needs to remember the Conservatives are listening as well as the Fashionistas.

Posted by: carpathia | Mar 16, 2010 6:13:03 PM

17. Give me the right. I'll make the choice. Kind of like choosing a designer, one with taste or one that wears strange driving gloves with every outfit.

Posted by: feo | Mar 16, 2010 6:14:54 PM

18. If you want to experience the epicenter of Vacuous and self-centered thinking, welcome to Fashion, chickens!
    yes, it's very Bourgeoisie to want the same damn rights as straights in case your partner dies and his/her family leaves you homeless.
    An old bitter out of touch rich queen with the in initials KL has shown his true colors.

Posted by: Sid | Mar 16, 2010 6:16:12 PM

19. Tales from the Crypt

Posted by: drifterbob | Mar 16, 2010 6:17:02 PM

20. If what he said about Alexander McQueen's suicide didn't convince you he was a complete asshole, this certainly removes all doubt.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that same-sex mariage and child rearing don't interest you. And it's also reasonble to say htat you don't like the idea of gays imitating straights in the way they live. But to turn up your nose at homophobic violence simply because it hasn't ever touched your smug little self is Beyong The Pale!

Lagerfeld was never designer of any stature. He's a Corporate "Brander." The "Brand Name" of Karl Lagerfeld is there to sell perfectly adequate but utterly uninspired clothes.

He imgaines htat since he's oulived Yves Saint-Laurent he's replaced him

AS IF!!!!!

Crazy druggie that he was YSL was the last classic couturier.Lagerfeld isn't worthy of cleaning Yves workroom.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 16, 2010 6:17:33 PM

21. For those who don't know what "let them eat cake" means; THIS is it.

Lagerfeld is a selfish, wealthy Queen who is completely out of touch with the average man or woman on the street.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 16, 2010 6:19:58 PM

22. Thank God he's a dying breed.

Posted by: Mottex | Mar 16, 2010 6:20:43 PM

23. The new poster boys of GOProud.
    Their Republican boys friends must be so proud.

Posted by: RICHL | Mar 16, 2010 6:24:04 PM

24. ok, I was going to comment much along the same lines, but the territory's been pretty much covered.

So instead, why don't we consider what might be done to convince less out-of-it queers that the equal right to marriage (not a compulsion to participate in that institution) is not a bourgeois choice or a fawning attempt to assimilate oneself into the oppressive over-culture of heterosexist society?

There are too may queers who believe that to be true. They are not necessarily privileged - though I think that attitude itself bespeaks a certain out-of-touchness.

Still - we've got to be able to make a case - i can't see how to convince straight on-the-fencers if we can't even convince a full 99% of the gays.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 16, 2010 6:25:37 PM

25. Bitch walks around fanning herself with that fucking fan Margret Cho talks about.

He can stick that fan right up his ass.

Posted by: REYnoldo | Mar 16, 2010 6:27:23 PM