George H.W. Bush | Karl Rove | Palm Springs

Karl Rove: 'To This Day, I Have No Idea If My Father Was Gay

RoveIt's been reported for years that the man who Karl Rove grew up knowing as his father and later found out was actually his stepfather was gay. He has released a new book called "Courage and Consequences" (The Washington Post says about the work: "Rove has fashioned a portrait of the Bush presidency that aims to shape history in his boss's favor") he writes about his father's sexual orientation. An excerpt from the Post's review:

"He blasts journalists for raising the issue at all -- in his eyes it's purely a liberal gambit to criticize him for his views on homosexuality. Rove launches a well-honed rebuttal -- a skill learned long ago, no doubt, on the high school debate team -- that comes across as part analysis and part dismissal. 'Could Dad have been gay?' he asks, acknowledging that his stepfather had gay friends and volunteered at an AIDS project. 'To this day, I have no idea if my father was gay. And, frankly, I don't care. He was my father, with whom I had a wonderful relationship and whom I loved deeply.'"

Rove's father, Louis Rove, died of lung cancer in Palm Springs in 2004.

Comments

1. No matter whether the man was gay or non-gay, I'm sure he must have been ashamed of what his son grew up to be

Posted by: Elmo Buzz | Mar 8, 2010 12:08:45 AM

2. And to me it makes no difference what this hypocrite says or writes. Karl Rove is simply an evil sociopath, I'll leave it at that!

Posted by: Mike | Mar 8, 2010 12:18:53 AM

3. The best thing that could happen would be for someone to stick that gas bag and let out all of the poisonous air which that fat, ignorant filth is filled with...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Mar 8, 2010 12:33:06 AM

4. Karl Rove is a fucking monster.

Posted by: RICHL | Mar 8, 2010 12:40:04 AM

5. Ahhh little piggy....you're starting to believe your own lies? Mr. Rove, there's a special circle in hell for your kind.

Posted by: bozemanmontana | Mar 8, 2010 12:49:48 AM

6. "And, frankly, I don't care..."

...if my father was one of a group of people that I scapegoat for my own personal gain, without the least concern for the harm I do.

No, of course you don't, darling. You have two faces, half a heart, and a very, very strong stomach.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 8, 2010 12:55:26 AM

7. Kudos to whoever cropped that photo. It has to be the single most unflattering face shot I've ever seen. I looks like if the shot were panned out, there would be no neck, just a face protruding from an amorphous blob.

Posted by: Thad | Mar 8, 2010 1:31:23 AM

8. Does Rove also talk in his book about winning the presidency of the College Young Republicans by smearing his opponent as gay? [That opponent, Terry Dolan, was heinous publicly closeted fag Repug who would go on to driving some great liberal Senators out of politics but that's beside the point.]

Does Rove write about spreading rumors than Texas Gov. Ann Richards was gay in order to put Shrub in the governor's mansion?

Does Rove write about exploiting fear of marriage equality to help get Bush "reelected" in 2004 which also resulting in several states amending their constitutions to ban it?

Does.... oh, nevermind.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Mar 8, 2010 2:29:55 AM

9. So he loved his dad, but he was okay with the government he worked for officially making him a second class citizen. I see.

"I love my dead, gay, stepfather!"

Posted by: wirrrn | Mar 8, 2010 2:52:21 AM

10. Once again the king of spin puts forth something that is less than truthful and expects people, because he's the almighty Karl Rove, to buy into it. This man has almost singlehandedly shaped and destroyed the Republican party during the past 20 years and yet they continue to grovel at his feet as if he really has something of value to say. It's time for Karl Rove to simply go away (and take his crony Dick Cheney with him ... please!).

Posted by: ChrisM | Mar 8, 2010 6:12:16 AM

11. I am no therapist, but I have to wonder if Rove's homophobia is in some way a reaction to his fear/belief that his stepfather might be gay. And I would not be surprised if someday we learn that Karl Rove taps his toes in toilets. There has to be some reason for his obsession with things gay.

Posted by: voet | Mar 8, 2010 6:52:18 AM

12. So tired of him being in the news, trying to humanize himself, pushing his published collection of crap, or whatever the phuque he's doing to re-do his image. Once a "turd blossom," always a turd blossom.

Posted by: DeeVee | Mar 8, 2010 8:56:10 AM

13. who cares about his dad. what was the deal with him and jeff/james guckert?

Posted by: zeta | Mar 8, 2010 8:57:07 AM

14. how do you spin Bush in a favorable light. as for rove that nut did not fall far from the gay tree

Posted by: dards4444 | Mar 8, 2010 9:23:55 AM

15. I read, quite some time ago, an anecdote about Rove and perhaps one of the childhood experiences that led to his hatred of Democrats. The story goes, as a very young man Karl got into a physical altercation with a girl his age in the school yard. According to the story, young Karl was given a pretty good beating in front of his companions and horribly shamed and embarrassed losing a fight with a girl. As it turned out, the girl was the daughter of the local Democratic Committee woman. Since then Rove has had a pathological hatred for Democrats and especially Democratic women. Perhaps all women? Who knows? I don't think the people who really know Rove will ever talk about him until after he is dead and securely buried, stake in heart and coffin draped in garlic cloves. Karl Rove is a very vindictive guttersnipe and the world would be a better place without him. Was his step father gay? Who knows and do we really care? A better question might be, who was his biological father and did he have horns and cloven hooves?

Posted by: Bob R | Mar 8, 2010 9:45:43 AM

16. A truly evil man.

Posted by: Roseanne | Mar 8, 2010 10:41:31 AM

17. He was gay and it's screamingly obvious that Rove cares. This should be thrown in his face at every opportunity.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 8, 2010 11:16:40 AM

18. @ ZETA :
    Now who was Jeff/James Guckert ?
    Do tell.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 8, 2010 1:05:50 PM

19. And every response to this article shows exactly why we can't get anything done.

If the best response to the rabid right's intolerance is rabid left wing hatred and name-calling, don't be surprised when we're still 2nd class citizens.

"You knew a gay person!" is still not a valid argument for equal rights, and the media and the left's continued path of personal smears in lieu of actual arguments is why people tune out. Grow up.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 8, 2010 3:42:42 PM

20. I thought he already admitted his father was gay.

Posted by: anon | Mar 8, 2010 4:18:17 PM

21. Ah, more from the "tolerance" crowd. "Preach tolerance but spew venom" seems to be the hypocritical order of the day. More of the same, I guess.

While I don't agree with significant points, I am a gay man who admires Karl Rove. If Obama and the Gang Who Can't Shoot Straight had a Karl Rove, maybe they wouldn't have squandered more than a year on health care "reform". Karl would have gotten it DONE.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Mar 8, 2010 4:35:57 PM

22. DEAR JACK TWIST - Guckert was the internet reporter that was found to be escorting on the internet while a member of the White House press corp -- no one can figure out who put him in there!

Posted by: David B. 2 | Mar 8, 2010 5:04:02 PM

23. Dear Lincolnlounger: that fact that you admire Karl Rove says everything we need to know about you.

Posted by: Disgusted | Mar 8, 2010 5:51:17 PM

24. If you really DID love your father, then you WOULD care if he was gay, because you would want to know about him and what he went through.

Posted by: Hank | Mar 9, 2010 1:13:50 AM

25. Once again, Karl Rove proves he's a damn liar who's intent on rewriting history. If you remember when his father died, it was in print he acknowledged that his father was gay.

Posted by: AlanAlan Reeser | Mar 9, 2010 3:21:10 PM