GLAAD | Jeremy Renner | News

BigGayDeal.com

Meredith Vieira Sorry for Remarks About Male 'Hurt Locker' Hugs

Meredith Vieira has apologized for remarks on the Today show to Hurt Locker star Anthony Mackie. On the post-Oscar show, Vieira asked Mackie if his hugs with co-star Jeremy Renner were something she needed to be "worried about."

Todayhl Said Vieira in a statement to GLAAD: “During an interview with the cast of the hurt locker on Monday, I turned to actor Anthony Mackie and made a joke about 'man hugging' in reference to a hug he and fellow actor Jeremy Renner had shared a few weeks earlier on our air. It was meant to be lighthearted, but some were offended by what they believed to be a homophobic comment. That was never my intent, but that doesn’t matter. Words are extremely powerful and should never be chosen lightly, even in a lighthearted moment. I apologize to any and all that I offended. My support of the gay and lesbian community is longstanding and well documented. It has not and will never waver.”

In related news, the National Enquirer engaged in what Boy Culture calls a "passive-aggressive" outing of Renner.

Comments

1. Vieira continues to be a joke, to call this a news program is a sad state of affairs.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 10, 2010 1:43:16 PM

2. But at least the apology was real, no "if I offended anyone".

Posted by: David R. | Mar 10, 2010 1:51:07 PM

3. Have we *completely* lost our sense of humor? Puhleeze. Let's go after the haters, not everyone who has offended some person somewhere but an off-hand remark.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 10, 2010 1:51:28 PM

4. This is how you make an apology...own your f*ck up, offer sincere regret, admit that words can be used as weapons,and then reaffirm your commitment to the LGBT community...exactly what she did.

We have so many true enemies, it would be ridiculous to continue to harass her. Move on and focus on our real enemies.

Posted by: Dennis | Mar 10, 2010 1:54:38 PM

5. Progress.

Now when are enough people going to call out Jimmy Kimmel for his virtual second career mocking gays with his ongoing "I'm F--king Ben Affleck" routines?

Compared to Viera's sin, he's like the James Cameron of "Nudge nudge, we're not really gay, wink wink" extravaganzes. The latest had him in bed between Ben and wife Jennifer Garner.

Will his next one be in 3D?

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Mar 10, 2010 1:57:03 PM

6. Dennis,
    Here, here!

Posted by: Paul | Mar 10, 2010 1:58:22 PM

7. If I recall, Vieira has indeed always been vocally supportive of gay rights and gay people. One harmless, silly, ham-handed little joke shouldn't make that irrelevant.

Posted by: LetSodomRing | Mar 10, 2010 2:04:07 PM

8. @ Dennis: I agree.

And thanks to all those who wrote the Today Show.

Posted by: JNJ | Mar 10, 2010 2:04:39 PM

9. That was excellent! GLAAD should give her an award for showing others how to make a sincere apology!

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 10, 2010 2:06:38 PM

10. so why was she "worried"?

idiot

Posted by: rick | Mar 10, 2010 2:07:57 PM

11. I've sometimes wondered her dedication to our community, indirectly picking up odd references here and there. But this statement totally blew me away and am compelled enough to actually send a note of gratitude to her office.

Ease off our allies and focus on those that really deserve the attention...

Posted by: jason | Mar 10, 2010 2:13:43 PM

12. Apology accepted.

And I agree with others on this thread - THAT'S how you make an apology.

Posted by: Jon Brian Blake | Mar 10, 2010 2:18:48 PM

13. Nicely said apology.

Posted by: David in Houston | Mar 10, 2010 2:22:53 PM

14. she may not dislike gays -- but she clearly was uncomfortable with make affection -- and
    he choice of words was OFFENSIVE and had conotations.

glad she apologized

Posted by: Rocco | Mar 10, 2010 2:23:57 PM

15. Very classy. What she said was offensive, and she owned it and apologized for it. Who hasn't said something he regrets -- albeit not on national television -- and wanted to take it back? Kudos to her for no being mealy mouthed.

Posted by: Kelly | Mar 10, 2010 2:37:03 PM

16. Her intent and past support don't matter when it comes to the poor gay kids and other people watching in places like bumfuck Texas. The message was what mattered, and the message was that affection between two people of the same sex is wrong and something to worry about and make fun of.

Posted by: mike | Mar 10, 2010 2:37:47 PM

17. So, if no one made a big deal about it, she wouldn't be apologizing. Would she even be aware of it? I dunno. Would she care? Probably not. DOes she care? Probably not. How do we tell if she's sincere? She could volunteer at an lgbt teen center, etc.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 10, 2010 2:41:07 PM

18. "It was meant to be lighthearted, but some were offended by what they believed to be a homophobic comment. That was never my intent"

So clearly this doesn't "own" anything, if you pay attention. She's sorry that some were offended, not that she said something homophobic. But yes, more people need to realize that intent doesn't matter...only the consequence.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 10, 2010 2:42:59 PM

19. As I watch the original clip again I can't help but notice how the young man "justifies" why they hugged (because they had just "created art" in the desert) and then how everyone reacted approvingly to what he said.

Oh how I long for the day when a "grown man can stand up and hug another man and say 'I love you'" without having "made art" and without having to have any other excuse to justify it other than "I felt it, I meant it, I'd do it again and I don't need to explain myself or my actions to you or anyone else".

That is the day that homophobia dies and males, straight and gay, are truly liberated from their emotional, psychological, sexuality and physicality prisons. I have no doubt that this will also be the day that violence against women plummets and the gender wars end. Homophobia hurt EVERYONE.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 10, 2010 2:45:30 PM

20. Notice that these types of apologies which are the favored apologies of those who make homophobic remarks in public...are completely consistent with the claim that you're too stupid to understand their joke, and that they're sorry you're too stupid to get it and got offended rather than laughed. They apologize for what they consider the irrational feelings you had as a response to not understanding what they were saying...

And trust me, that's what they mean rather than what they said was wrong.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 10, 2010 2:47:46 PM

21. ugh

i'm trying to understand why we're so sensitive to this crap

i know she's in the media and what she says could feasibly influence people's opinions but come on

if she were a crazed gay hater she could have said something like "all gays should be imprisoned" and nobody would expect an apology. but, since she's apparently not, we all think she should apologize for an off handed remark that wasn't even offensive?

i applaud her for apologizing, i just find it sad that people thought she needed to.

Posted by: micheal | Mar 10, 2010 3:05:17 PM

22. Why is she not 'worried" about Ms.Bullock & Ms. Streep?

Posted by: deen | Mar 10, 2010 3:09:21 PM

23. Atta Girl Meredith. Great apology! She owned it and apologized. Yes, she probably didnt realize how it might have come across but once she did, she recognized how it might have been "perceived" and apologized.

Posted by: Trace | Mar 10, 2010 3:11:20 PM

24. Michael, because thirty gay teens committed suicide because of what she said...they were in texas or some crappy bigoted state. That's why we care! They died!

Posted by: TANK | Mar 10, 2010 3:13:25 PM

25. Classy apology for an idiotic remark. No need to vilify further. She knows what she did wrong.

Posted by: nick | Mar 10, 2010 3:17:22 PM