I'm Gay | Roy Ashburn

BigGayDeal.com

Roy Ashburn Admits That He Is Gay

6a00d8341c730253ef0120a8f9dce4970b-piI guess this was bound to happen, but I didn't expect it to happen this soon. Republican California Senator Roy Ashburn, arrested last week for a DUI, made a surprise admission about his sexual orientation during a radio interview with Inga Banks's AM radio program. Said Ashburn:

"I am gay. And so, those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long. But I am gay. It is something that is personal and I don't believe I felt with my heart that being gay wouldn't affect how I do my job."

When asked about his anti-gay voting record, Ashburn responded with this:

"My votes reflect the wishes of the people in my district."

Listen to the interview, split in two parts, after the jump.

Comments

1. Isn't this guy married with kids?

Posted by: Mike C. | Mar 8, 2010 4:04:55 PM

2. Frankly, it is a little shocking that he admitted it. He could have just pulled a Larry Craig and lied while trying to hold on to what little he has left.

It doesn't earn him any respect from me, but it is what it is.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 8, 2010 4:11:15 PM

3. Have another drink Roy-

Posted by: Nick | Mar 8, 2010 4:12:50 PM

4. Say it isn't so! PLEASE Mary say it isn't so!

Posted by: therighteoussword | Mar 8, 2010 4:18:06 PM

5. He's not currently married; he's divorced with 4 kids. His explanation for his voting record is grossly free of empathy, regret, or shame.

Posted by: Bastian | Mar 8, 2010 4:20:45 PM

6. What a scumbag hypocrite. How do I contribute to his opponents?

Posted by: Alex M. | Mar 8, 2010 4:25:35 PM

7. Does a 100% anti-gay voting record mean that his district is 100% homophobes? If so, it should be clearly marked on maps as a no-gay zone. What a cop-out.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Mar 8, 2010 4:28:25 PM

8. Living proof that not all gay is good. Too bad we can't have him excommunicated.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 8, 2010 4:31:39 PM

9. Sen. Ashburn is in his second 4 year term. That would suggest to me that since he has actively voted against the GLBT community since 2002, he had better work his newly gay ass off for the next 8 years to make up for the destruction he caused. But please Roy, if you want forgiveness, make it up to us in some other occupation. "Closeted hypocrite" and "legislator" are two terms that should never go together.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 8, 2010 4:40:57 PM

10. He needs to resign. The people of his district voted for a real gay-hating bigot not faux one.

Posted by: niles | Mar 8, 2010 4:46:56 PM

11. I have little sympathy for Ashburn. His actions have hurt thousands of gay people and their families. He campaigned for Prop 8 and voted against LGBT rights legislation and now he blames those votes on the political makeup of his district.

He is a coward and an embarrassment to LGBT people.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 8, 2010 4:47:11 PM

12. Everybody knew he'd "blame" the voters for his shame.....

Posted by: alan brickman | Mar 8, 2010 4:51:46 PM

13. Damn, I was hoping for his suicide. It's not too late, Roy...you can still eat a gun. If you're going to talk the talk...

Posted by: TANK | Mar 8, 2010 4:56:59 PM

14. That radio host who interviewed him is a moron... I endured the whole interview to hear her say at the end "just vote No on Everything".... what a typical, stupid, planless, brainless Republican response that was!

And really Roy, all these years you could have been 'out' to your constituents teaching them by example that gay people are not 'bad ogres' but regular people, and that would have changed your constituents minds on gay issues, but you chose not to do that, so simply stating your constituents would not want you to vote pro-gay is a lousy, stinking, cheap cop-out!

You brought all the misery of your actions upon yourself as well as the scorn of the gay community. Still totally unapologetic.... what an miserable hypocrite!

Posted by: CKNJ | Mar 8, 2010 4:57:08 PM

15. what a fucking piece of shit

Posted by: Christopher | Mar 8, 2010 5:00:12 PM

16. His claim that he his anti-gay voting record only reflects the wishes of his constituents holds no water whatsoever. Not only did he vote against any measure that would protect LGBT people, he often took the podium to voice his vehemence. I wish I were a big enough person to pity him, but I despise him and his ilk. To quote Jerry Seinfeld's mom, "I hate him like poison!"

Posted by: Peter | Mar 8, 2010 5:02:22 PM

17. Don't hold back CHRISTOPHER.

Posted by: Marc | Mar 8, 2010 5:03:14 PM

18. So he's admitted he's gay, but he didn't reconcile the fact that he's consistently voted against all gay rights from what I've read. That's outrageous evil hypocrisy, not a difference of opinion. He says he votes according to his constituants(?). Would he do the same for an evil boss like hitler? How does he discern?
    The radio interview gave a false analogy. She claims that she was offended by people calling him a hypocrite for voting against gay rights because he's gay. Well, black people can vote for other black people too, not just Obama. What Ashburn did, though, was vote against all gay people ALL the time.THAT'S the difference, false chritians!! Stupid hypocrites, both of you!!

Posted by: nikko | Mar 8, 2010 5:08:52 PM

19. Your voting record only reflects your own homophobia Roy, too bad you have to live with it for the rest of your life.

Posted by: Rafael | Mar 8, 2010 5:11:28 PM

20. He claims he voted as the people of his district wished - really? I vote for a Senator because he/she bests represents my views and therefore speaks upon my behalf. What then, was his platform for his constituents to vote for him?

I call BS!

Posted by: JNJ | Mar 8, 2010 5:12:10 PM

21. Ha - Niles: I love it!

Posted by: Toddy | Mar 8, 2010 5:12:12 PM

22. Wow. The talk show host really made me want to smash my head to a bloody pulp on my desk.

Posted by: pharmerandy | Mar 8, 2010 5:12:31 PM

23. Dude wanted to get caught, no doubt about it.

Posted by: jefferson | Mar 8, 2010 5:14:11 PM

24. There should be wanted posters in gay bars everywhere with pictures of these dicks so that they never get laid again.

PS Inga Barks? I'm so naming my next dog after her

Posted by: Christopher | Mar 8, 2010 5:31:54 PM

25. He apparently doesn't realize that his very ability to say "I am gay" and not be fired from his job, or kicked out of his home, or be prevented from seeing his children, or walk the street without the fear of physical violence builds on half a century of people who fought for those very things--both through their own actions and through the actions they sought through government representatives who WEREN'T afraid to vote in our favor (or who were, but did it anyway because they knew it was right). He's the beneficiary of all of that and still has the nerve to stand against us. What a piece of trash.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Mar 8, 2010 5:32:18 PM