Gay Youth | Mississippi | News | Wanda Sykes

Watch: Constance, Lesbian Denied Prom, Talks to Wanda Sykes + Group Donates $20K to Throw Prom for All Students

Constance_wanda

Mississippi high school student Constance McMillen joined Wanda Sykes on her show on Saturday to talk about  the cancellation of her prom over her desire to bring a female date.

Sykes is receiving the Stephen F. Kolzak award from GLAAD at their L.A. awards show on April 17, and invited Constance and her girlfriend to present it to her.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, the Facebook group in support of Constance McMillen has close to 250,000 members.

And, The American Humanist Association has received $20,000 from two of its members to plan and hold a prom for all the students in Itawamba County. Talks about logistics are underway.

(clip via good as you)

Comments

1. It doesn't get much better than this! Thanks for posting this gem...

Posted by: Rocco | Mar 15, 2010 12:21:24 PM

2. Amazing! I love Wanda!

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 15, 2010 12:31:03 PM

3. Fantastic! I'm especially happy that someone beat Gay Inc to this one.

I don't know much about this group that's donating the money, but, I'll be sure to check them out.

I hope it's the best prom EVAH! I bet it does more for Gay / Straight relationships in that area than anything else ever could have.

We owe a big thanks to the idiots who tried to stop this young lady from having a good time and being an American teen.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 15, 2010 12:39:55 PM

4. Bravo! Great posting, Andy.

Posted by: David T | Mar 15, 2010 1:50:17 PM

5. I love Constance. Sounds as if this young woman was brought up by a stellar family. Can we clone them?

Posted by: Rhea | Mar 16, 2010 9:21:57 AM

6. Xcnt! Post. I'm joining now.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 16, 2010 8:52:54 PM

7. Constance has declined any money for a "special prom." Go watch her on the Ellen show. Ellen wanted to give her a prom, and she declined.

Because she wants to go to _her_ school prom, and she has a right to it.

She right actually. As much as I wanted Ellen to give her a massive amazing school prom, Constance is actually right. She should be able to go to her school prom and it should be a non-issue.

Good for her. She's smart, and she's strong.

Posted by: jackal | Mar 20, 2010 6:43:12 PM

8. wanda i like your show, but when you lump everyone in the same pile that is wrong. i live in mississippi and it is a great state,although, just like every state we have problems. mississippi is in the middle of the bible belt and you have a lot of bible thumpers. all mississippians aren`t like that. i`m a 47 year old male with 3 kids and a wife and if one of my kid told me they were gay i`d back them 110 percent. so i would appreciate a pulic appology for all the mississippians that are not that way'

sincerely, joey